Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

one of the worst too, in my experience.

plus all the money goes outside the country

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Media_Zone/Press%20Releases/NCA_biannual_grocery_survey.html

Depends on what is in YOUR basket really. Obviously they hit each shop with a shopping list, this is something I never really do, I go in and buy what is on offer (real offers!). I stock up in certain supermarkets for certain things. e.g. frozen fish is cheapest in lidl, 12 packs of eggs in tesco, whole cooked chickens in dunnes, quality own brand stuff in M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

JP whats the purpose of the post if i may ask?
    Are you outraged thay they dare claim such a thing or simply giving people information in case they were not aware that Lidl is irelands cheapest supermarket?

I usually shop in Tesco and get offers, or Lidl as their veg is pretty good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

jimmmy wrote: »

Yes, all the money goes outside the country except:
    • Wages their employees spend in Ireland
    • The money they pay Irish suppliers
    • PRSI/PAYE
    • VAT
    • Corporation Tax
    • Services they consume in Ireland (ESB, rates, maintenance, etc)
    • The money the spent on the land
    But other than that you are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Saruman wrote: »
    Lidl as their veg is pretty good value.

Cheap yes - quality ??? - IMO it's mostly rubbish in our branch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Pizza, Beer, Kebabs, Hot Dogs and Red Wine. That's my Lidl shopping. Thumbs up. Great quality too I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jimmmy wrote: »

There are an awful lot of Irish companies sending an awful lot of money out of the country. Musgrave for one, has UK and Spanish acquisitions. How about Dunnes with branches in the UK, or the Kerry group with worldwide interests etc etc etc etc..........................

Perhaps if they all sent some back, and chipped in to the current deficit, we wouldn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

dh0661 wrote: »
    Cheap yes - quality ??? - IMO it's mostly rubbish in our branch.

Thats odd, its always excellent quality in the ones i have been in. Especially the Mushrooms, Peppers and Lettuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They have cracking tomatoes. I think the veg is pretty decent. Better than Tesco, which wouldn't be hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

OK, so Lidl don't have a huge amount of Irish goods, but Aldi claim that 45% of their goods sold in Irish stores are souced in Ireland. - This is higher thanTesco!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Aldi is favoured by lots of people for fresh vegtables ,thats the impression I get when talking to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Lidl fruit and veg looks good but but does not stay fresh for that long , , however Aldi fruit and veg is generally good quality and cheap , I find the milk in lidl better than any other supermarket but in general aldi is the better of the two german supermarkets for quality ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Do all heads of Dunnes spend all their money in Ireland? Or SuperValu? Once a company pays all their paye, prsi etc, then we should be happy. Look at Intel and Dell, all their profits go outside the country yet they keep local economies brightwhen they are running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

darc wrote: »
    OK, so Lidl don't have a huge amount of Irish goods, but Aldi claim that 45% of their goods sold in Irish stores are souced in Ireland. - This is higher thanTesco!
    Sourced in Ireland doesn't mean produced in Ireland. It just means they bought the goods from a company in Ireland, a company which may not be Irish and which in turn may have imported every single item. It is not beyond belief that Lidl set up said company for the express purpose of being able to make marketing claims such as the above.

What me a cynic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Hagar wrote: »
    a company which may not be Irish and which in turn may have imported every single item.

You'd probably find that your bananas and oranges are Irish "produced", even though practically no bananas or oranges are actually grown in this country. Produced just means it was put in a bag/box in this country.

I wouldn't do all my shopping in Lidl, or Aldi, Dunnes or Tesco for that matter, as none of them have everything I want. Fruit, bread, veg, chicken, ham, frozen foods, dry foods, wine, cleaning products, as well as the odd special items all make Lidl and Aldi worth shopping in.

People who dismiss it out of hand, or out of prejudice, have obviously never shopped there. All the more for the rest of us.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There are an awful lot of Irish companies sending an awful lot of money out of the country.

Sure, but lidl sends more out of the country than those they came in to compete against. I think thats a well known fact. If ye buy a german or german packed brand from Poland, instead of the long established Irish brand, what do you expect ?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Look at Intel and Dell, all their profits go outside the country

Not they do not, they bring in revenue - hard currency - from outside the country, spend it on wages + overheads etc, and pay corporation tax ( albeit at a low rate ) on any profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The basic difference between aldi/lidl and say dunnes is that aldi /lidl by their nature are poor employers (in a quantity point of view). so if dunnesturnover is 300k per week they will employ say 60 people whereas aldi/lidl with the same turnover will employ 20.

dunnes will also buy more irish product than the discounters.

I've been shopping in Lidl (and every now and then, Aldi) for years now. Not a hope would i ever go back to shopping in Dunnes, Tesco, etc.

I don't care who sends what money where. If i can do a weeks shopping and have more cash in my wallet via Lidl than Dunnes, then I'll be shopping in Lidl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement