Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVIVA secure naming rights for New Stadium

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

So the FAI and IRFU have sold out...

Officially no more will it be called Lansdowne Road...

Welcome to Aviva Stadium :rolleyes:

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4014
    Hibernian AVIVA secure naming rights for New Stadium

Hibernian Aviva, Ireland’s largest insurance company, has secured the naming rights to what will now be called AVIVA STADIUM in what is one of the most significant sponsorships in Irish history. The deal sees Hibernian Aviva take on the naming rights for a ten-year period and provide investment support to the IRFU and FAI for their grassroots programmes.

In making the announcement, Philip Browne, Chairman of the LRSDC and Chief Executive of the Irish Rugby Football Union said that he was delighted to welcome Hibernian Aviva on board. From the outset the IRFU and the FAI stated that the naming rights would be an important element in the funding of the €400 million stadium which will be a home for both Irish rugby and soccer.

He said it is important to understand that the funding provided by Hibernian Aviva for the naming rights would generate both current and future investment in the development of both sports. He said in that context he is delighted that Hibernian Aviva will also be investing in the development of grassroots programmes for both the IRFU and the FAI right across the country.

The IRFU and FAI are confident that in AVIVA STADIUM they have a model that will sustain both of their sports well into the future. Browne added it would be wrong, however, only to dwell on what AVIVA STADIUM means for the two sports.

“We believe that in the difficult economic conditions we are now going through,AVIVA STADIUM will be of huge benefit to the economy as a whole. Previous research shows that the weekend of an Ireland v England rugby international has an economic impact of up to €90 million on the local economy. While that may be at the top end of the spectrum it needs to be remembered that in any given year AVIVA STADIUM will host around ten major international sporting occasions not to mention concerts and events such as the UEFA Final which the FAI has already secured or a future Heineken Cup Final which we will undoubtedly get.

"Even taking the most conservative view I do not think it would be exaggerating to say that AVIVA STADIUM could have an impact of some €250 million on the local economy each year. Hibernian Aviva’s support will drive both our sports and the economy at a time when it needs it more than ever. We are delighted to welcome them to the team.”

Speaking on behalf of Hibernian Aviva, Stuart Purdy, Group Chief Executive said the company is delighted to be a partner in such a major sponsorship and contributor to the Irish economic and sports landscape. “Hibernian Aviva has a strong Irish heritage built up over the last one hundred years of service to Irish consumers and as we rebrand under our parent company name Aviva, we will continue to build on this business strength.

"Contributing to the economy and to the communities in which we operate are vitally important to us and I can think of no better way to demonstrate this than by supporting AVIVA STADIUM and IRFU and FAI grassroots programmes.

Purdy continued, “In addition to the brand awareness opportunities that come with a sponsorship of this scale and stature, as a company with a network reaching all over the country, the national and local reach of this sponsorship are important to us. We are looking forward to working with AVIVA STADIUM, the IRFU and FAI on this partnership.”

Commenting on this investment, FAI Chief Executive John Delaney said he echoed all that had been said before and that the FAI was looking forward to working with Hibernian Aviva on strengthening football grassroots programmes which encourage participation in the sport among children and young adults.

He said the recent announcement that the 2011 UEFA Europa League Final would be played at the AVIVA STADIUM is a fantastic start for the partnership. “It really is a tremendous endorsement of just what is being achieved. I think it is fair to say that everyone in UEFA could see the potential of what we are developing. One has only to think of some of the other stadia that were in line for the Final to see just how world-class the facility we are building is going to be.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

ZOMG THE ALLIANZ ARENA. BAYERN MUNICH TOTALLY SOLD OUT

does it really matter what its called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wasn't this common knowledge like two weeks ago?
    I've certainly read it referred to as the Aviva Stadium before now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Oh no. They have made money out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's too small anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Maybe thiis will be like Munster selling the rights to Toyota, everyone still calls it Thomend park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

/whisper: you can keep calling it Landsdowne Road. Taxi-drivers, boardsies and friends will know what you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

stovelid wrote: »
    /whisper: you can keep calling it Landsdowne Road. Taxi-drivers, boardsies and friends will know what you mean.

I know that... thanks :p

I just think its not on.... Generally club stadiums around the world have naming rights for new builds...

I can't think off hand of any dedicated National Stadiums with naming rights deals... not to say there isn't any, but I just think it sums up the FAI in particular... Out for every penny they can get (eircom logo on replica shirts is another example)...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I know that... thanks :p

I just think its not on.... Generally club stadiums around the world have naming rights for new builds...

I can't think off hand of any dedicated National Stadiums with naming rights deals... not to say there isn't any, but I just think it sums up the FAI in particular... Out for every penny they can get (eircom logo on replica shirts is another example)...

I think your grasping at straws on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

stovelid wrote: »

/Sshhhhhh Don't take all Ireland's begrudgers one big opportunity to have a good oul moan and criticise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Well put

That eircom logo on the replica shirts is the VERY reason i've never bought one. I'd say were there the only football authority of any country that does that. Scandalous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Recession. We need every penny we can get. Don't complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's too small anyway

I was gonna agree with ya totally because I thought it was only 40K, but a quick search says it's 50K.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2009/0212/1224241050544.html

I think however that it should have been 60K. That would be perfect, especially considering that last nights game had

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7881893.stm

OK! Again I was wrong! I thought it was 45K there last night, but bbc website claims there was 65K there!

If 65K are showing up for Georgia, then we really need a 80 to 90K stadium!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Better than naming it after a bishop. At least we all pay insurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

As long as they dont try rename the Dart station aswell... they can call the stop 'stadium'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Who cares? I'll call it Lansdowne road anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i think its sh1te tbh, good to see most here think its a good idea that money is the most important thing in football

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

bigstar wrote: »
    i think its sh1te tbh, good to see most here think its a good idea that money is the most important thing in football

nobody has said anything like that but money towards grass roots football is right up there, so shove that somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I was gonna agree with ya totally because I thought it was only 40K, but a quick search says it's 50K.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2009/0212/1224241050544.html

I think however that it should have been 60K. That would be perfect, especially considering that last nights game had

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7881893.stm

OK! Again I was wrong! I thought it was 45K there last night, but bbc website claims there was 65K there!

If 65K are showing up for Georgia, then we really need a 80 to 90K stadium!

They announced last night at the ground that it was 44k or something.
    IMO 50k is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I couldn't give a toss what they call it. Lansdowne Road is a well enough established name for everyone to keep using it regardless, and its a good way to make some money (shock, horror, the FAI needs money). Besides, I haven't many particularly fond memories of the shed it used to be, so I've not much sentimentality for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

JPA wrote: »
    They announced last night at the ground that it was 44k or something.
    IMO 50k is perfect.

Ya I heard that too. Guess BBC didn't check it out too well when writing attendence at 65K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tom65 wrote: »
    I couldn't give a toss what they call it. Lansdowne Road is a well enough established name for everyone to keep using it regardless, and its a good way to make some money (shock, horror, the FAI needs money).

And the egg chasers need the money too. Couldn't careless what people call it.

After all, a Marathon is still a Marathon. :)
    Tom65 wrote: »
    Besides, I haven't many particularly fond memories of the shed it used to be, so I've not much sentimentality for it.

Great memories from 93, 96 and 04. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

bigstar wrote: »
    I thought that had been established beyond doubt by our resident gurus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Why dp people think something as unimportant as the name of a stadium should be sacrosanct?

Money can be exchanged for goods and services, the name of a soccer pitch, however, is worth fúck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Maybe thiis will be like Munster selling the rights to Toyota, everyone still calls it Thomend park
    I thought they called it Thomond Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

, everyone still calls it Thomend park

Some even go so far as to call it Thomond Park.:P

EDIT, Dammit Fullstop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Stekelly wrote: »
    Some even go so far as to call it Thomond Park.:P

EDIT, Dammit Fullstop.

Muahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

What a load of bollox. Thats a woeful name. At least the Emirates actually sound acceptable ffs. I wont be calling it Aviva Stadium thats for sure. They actually had their name plastered all over the big screens at last nights game if anyone noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'm just glad Price Waterhouse Cooper didn't sponsor it. Bit of a mouthful tbf.

Or the Bandon Co-op Agri & Dairy Society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I personally think they should have spent the €40 million or whatever it is going to end up as trying to get the naming rights to Las Vegas,

"Aviva Las Vegas" sound great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I'm just glad Price Waterhouse Cooper didn't sponsor it. Bit of a mouthful tbf.

Or the Bandon Co-op Agri & Dairy Society.

That would have been more acceptable in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

so hibernian aviva annouce last year that 600 jobs are being moved to india yet they splash out on naming rights for a stadium..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Keith C wrote: »
    so hibernian aviva annouce last year that 600 jobs are being moved to india yet they splash out on naming rights for a stadium..........

How do you think they raised the €40m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Aviva will be the new name for landsdowne rd.

But will people call it the Aviva? bearing in mind that some Irish people still do their 'Messages' in Quinnsworth! > That'id be people who do their 'Shopping' in Tesco then . . . .

I have a mate who went to the 'Point' the other night, I said isnt it the 02' now, he just smiled and said, ya know what I mean ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Camelot wrote: »
    But will people call it the Aviva? bearing in mind that some Irish people still do their 'Messages' in Quinnsworth! > That'id be people who do their 'Shopping' in Tesco then . . . .

I have a mate who went to the 'Point' the other night, I said isnt it the 02' now, he just smiled and said, ya know what I mean ;))

Well I think the people going to the Fairs Cup final there in 2011 will still call it Lansdowne Rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who really cares about the name of it. Its was just called Lansdowne Park after the area in the first place, the area Lansdowne is named after some English Marquess from the era of the British Empire.

Advertisement