Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camper insurance

• 12-02-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the name of an insurance company that specializes in campers? I've heard there is but got no name. And do all the usual car insurance crowd cover campers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Theres only a couple that I know of.I'm with Dolmens http://www.dolmen-insurance.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pat_R

Hi,
    Does anyone know the rules for insuring a camper with regards to having it as your main form of transport. I'm hoping to sell my car, and buy a camper in England next week but do I really have to have another car too? If so I'll end up buying the cheapest smallest car I can find that has it's NCT, and probably insure it and leave it parked up most of the time. Is there a way to avoid this silly situation?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

My camper insurance through Dolmens wasn't possible without also having a car insured too. Your idea of the cheapest thing u can tax,as daft as the sttuation is may be the only way

Thanks Aerosol, Looks like that's what I'll have to do. Anybody want to buy a 1.4 Petrol Octavia (2004)? I'll consider a tiny cheap to run car as part payment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

I have looked into the various deals regarding insurance.
    I am with Richardsons - it does require you to be with the Irish Motor Caravan Club http://www.motorcaravanclub.net/
    They have negotiated a very good deal because it gives access to Mondial for breakdown coverage and repatriation to Ireland from Europe.
    As far as I know you do not need to have a car insured but you do need an insurance history.
    Try them and see how you get on.

Thanks a lot Connel. I'll check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I am told that you can satisfy the "own car" requirement by being a NAMED driver on someone else's car. Usually but not necessarily your spouse/partner's.
    I guess as long as it appears you have a normal way to do whatever daily driving might be required, you are unlikely to drive the van constantly.
    I believe that's true for Dolmen anyway - I am about to find out as I am scrapping my car which is seeing very little use these days anyway.
    Even if you had to pay her indoors a few bob extra to put you on hers (and many policies would not charge extra) - has to be a lot cheaper than insuring a car that never leaves the house.

Thanks Dowtchaboy, I had heard something like that so I'll definitely try that one out. Still have to sell my car though first.... anyone interested...?? Lovely 04 Octavia? To anyone else selling at the moment, beware of fraudsters on line offering to buy your car, I've been contacted by two of them, fairly obviously fraudsters from the start but some might be caught out.

Advertisement