Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Role of Martin Luther King in Civil Rights movement?

Options
  • 12-02-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

How am I supposed to right an essay (At least 2A4 pages) on this? Didn't he just set up an organisation?

Anyone care to help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

1954: Pastor in a Baptist Chruch in Montgomery, Alabama, Great orator, liked in his community

1955: Montgomery Bus Boycott - King named chairperson of the Montgomery Improvement Association (MIA), the organisation set up to run the Boycott. Chosen becuase he cannot be bribed by the whites. King says at the first meeting:
    We are tired, tired of being segregated and humiliated, tired of being kicked about by the brutal feet of oppression
    !

It's a success, largely thanks to King's persistance.

1956: King sets up the Southern Christian Leadership Conference - Aims to double the amount of black leaders in the South by 1960

Joins the Student Non-Violent Co-ordinating Committee on a sit in, King arrested.

1963: Birmingham March - King arrested again - Letter from Birmingham jail

March on Washington, King makes his famous 'I have a dream' speech.

Named Time Magazine man of the year.

1964: Receives Nobel Peace prize, youngest ever recipient.

1965: Voting legislation comes in in the South which removes poll tax I think. This is maily thanks to King.

Beef up those points and you'll be running out of time ;)
    Most of that should be correct. Thanks for this, good revision :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Split it up.
    Do a paragraph on the Bus Boycott and his involvment - half a page at least. Intro and Conclusion should take another half a page between them. Another paragraph on maybe his other work through non-violent protest - 3/4 a page at least.

Pretty vague plan, but with notes in front of you you could get more constructed paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

You will have to excuse my wrighting but heres one I did earlier, I got 38/40.
    Perhaps some other people could upload some of their own just to give me an idea of the standard of others.
    dmlk1.jpg
    dmlk2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

You should really stick that up on zulunotes.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

MrPain wrote: »
    You will have to excuse my wrighting but heres one I did earlier, I got 38/40.
    Perhaps some other people could upload some of their own just to give me an idea of the standard of others.
    dmlk1.jpg
    dmlk2.jpg

your teacher calls you love?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

LMAO! I wish my History teacher called me love, he's gorgeous :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Why the hell are they teaching Irish students about King?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

lol its actually 'here' not 'love'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Gloom wrote: »
    How am I supposed to right an essay (At least 2A4 pages) on this? Didn't he just set up an organisation?

Anyone care to help?

seriously like, your a leaving cert history student and you are saying how am i menat to right two a4s on this. he is the most influencing factor in the civil rights movement. type it into google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Varkov wrote: »
    Why the hell are they teaching Irish students about King?
    Because things happened in other countries too.

Advertisement