Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downfall of Catholicism?

Options
  • 12-02-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Since the death of John Paul the 2nd my view is the catholic upper echelons have started to move backward instead of forward. The world is changing and the catholic church needs to move with it. Church attendance is falling drastically, vocations have all but disappeared and Pope Benedict XVI seems to have negative vies on everything under the sun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

The Catholic Church refuses to move with a changing world? Surely you jest good sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This is the type of post that has been repeated time and time again here. Why should the Church follow the world instead of following Jesus? In Christianity following Jesus is seen as being distinct from following the world.
    Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern the will of God - what is good and acceptable and perfect
    James 4:4 wrote:
    Adulterers! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to become a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God
    You were once dead through the trespasses and sins in which you once lived, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient

And so on. People are to be transformed by God, not God by people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I think they're not all bad, but they have quite a severe communication problem. Benedict 16 should have used the fact of the recession to invite the people of the world into the church on the grounds of hope, love and community, etc. in his Christmas sermon. Bringing up gender theory was silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Well with the ability to use the interentet to look up all catholic teaching (www.vatican.va) you can easily find out AAAAAAALLLLL about it. If you disagree with anything well tough, as its all or nothing.

I've been watching start trek voyager recently and I do think of the borg...

"We are the magesterium, you will be assimilated.."

Also with more communication people realise that there is options... look at Ireland... as more people realise that there are other options and can find out more about it and are more free to do as they will they dissent.

Part of the churches problem (in ireland anyway) is that they are in an ivory tower. "we are right and have the Truth so why wouldn't people come?". Rather than 'where have we failed to communicate what we have to the people?'

If the church actually tried to educate people and was actually articulate rather than coming out with blanket statements (homosexuality is more dangerous than climate changes? :rolleyes:) they might have more sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Since the death of John Paul the 2nd my view is the catholic upper echelons have started to move backward instead of forward. The world is changing and the catholic church needs to move with it. Church attendance is falling drastically, vocations have all but disappeared and Pope Benedict XVI seems to have negative vies on everything under the sun.

Actually John Paul II was an extremely conservative Pope. He just hid it behind a smiling exterior whereas Benedict actually looks conservative. And in a society where style trumps substance that is unfortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

'Pope in promoting Catholic views Shocker!' The pope as the head of the RCC, represents the views of the RCC. As the world moves away from the views of the RCC, the RCC must stick to its principles. Its called integrity. If it was to change to suit whatever popular worldview is, it may get a few slaps on the back from the world, but at the price of its integrity. As a matter of interest, what particularly do you think it needs to do to move with the times?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sHnaCk

Several things; the RCC will survive. reason; it is precisely the fact that it IS extremely slow to change. If it changed every time some misinformed humanist or some homosexual performing exogesis (and i use these people groups as example only!!) decided that there view should be aired and agreed with and become church doctrine it would have no backbone and would obviously fragment etc. etc. etc.
    another reason is that the god of this world is absolutely delighted with the state of affairs in the RCC now and in all the centuries past. why? the RCC is founded on a literal statement and NOT the revelation that Peter orginally received. i.e.
    Matt 16
    Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
    Jesus replied, "Blessed are you... for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven... and on this rock I will build my church..."NIV

the word "rock" is actually (in the original aramaic) a foundation stone which plays a small part in the symantics but, the full revelation AND NOT the literal understanding of these few short lines negates not only a pope but also Peter as the 1st pope. THIS was never Jesus's intention.

so why is the god of this world delighted? tradition, vain repitition... i can go on and on unfortunately, keeps people from the TRUE revelation of the above, any time he can lead you into a tradition or vain prayer is the moment your eyes are NOT on Jesus!

Advertisement