Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour overtake FF in polls.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Where does it say anything about sympathies or public sector workers?

Where else are they going to go? Fianna Fail has been their protector for years - after all it has been in government and been handing out the public jobs, now that Fianna Fail is biting the bullet and doing something about the waste they create it is certain that the PS has gone to option number 2 - Labour party.

Given the support base of the Labour party should it not be renamed Bourgeois?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

asdasd wrote: »
    Where else are they going to go? Fianna Fail has been their protector for years - after all it has been in government and been handing out the public jobs, now that Fianna Fail is biting the bullet and doing something about the waste they create it is certain that the PS has gone to option number 2 - Labour party.

Given FG's constant pressure on the Government over bloat and waste in the public sector it isn't hugely surprising. Although it wasn't that long ago that Labour was doing the same iirc, but people as always have short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

nesf wrote: »
    Well, think about it a large portion of our better off AB voter group are public servants. Which group have FF pissed off enough lately for them to desert the party?
    Speculation there.
    Sympathies, meh, I suppose if you take Labour as a party who looks out for and represents the little guy you could draw that assertion but it's nowhere in the numbers.
    I'd say it's more likely that the middle and upper voters see the balls up the state is in and think Labour might be able to get it out. Not really much point going for a party because of your sympathies, most people will vote for their interests.

Given the support base of the Labour party should it not be renamed Bourgeois?
    Not really as it still remains the political wing of many trade unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Not really as it still remains the political wing of many trade unions.

irish trade unions represent the cossetted graduate class in the Public Service, so no dice there. They are now a middle class organization.

( I think unions would be useful if they were private sector only, and banned in the public sector as they are for certain occupations.)

Speculation there.

Indeed but got a better explanation for such a big move in that group?
    I'd say it's more likely that the middle and upper voters see the balls up the state is in and think Labour might be able to get it out. Not really much point going for a party because of your sympathies, most people will vote for their interests.

I'd agree and I'd list Labour as the most public servant friendly one of the big three at the minute. I personally don't subscribe to the whole working class sympathies theory, I think Labour have become a decidedly middle class party these days.

• Advertisement

irish trade unions represent the cossetted graduate class in the Public Service, so no dice there. They are now a middle class organization.

( I think unions would be useful if they were private sector only, and banned in the public sector as they are for certain occupations.)

Not really, I'm a member of Mandate who tend to represent low wage workers and who worked hand in hand with Labour over the dismissal of Joanne Delaney.

Also, the ATGWU held last years LAbour YOuth conference in Dublin, which represents workers in "Transport, Oils, Chemical and Private Security Industries"

Indeed but got a better explanation for such a big move in that group?
    Nah, but a speculation isn't true because noone can come up with a better speculation.

Nah, but a speculation isn't true because noone can come up with a better speculation.

Pfft, then what use are statistics at all? ;)

Not really, I'm a member of Mandate who tend to represent low wage workers and who worked hand in hand with Labour over the dismissal of Joanne Delaney.

Also, the ATGWU held last years LAbour YOuth conference in Dublin, which represents workers in "Transport, Oils, Chemical and Private Security Industries

So in your opinion is Labour as close to the Trade Union movement as it was in the past or have they distanced themselves meaningfully from ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭dorothygale

Fine Gael 32% here we come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Astonishing poll. Are we seeing the demise of FF? Two things amaze me, firstly I never thought it possible that FF could fall as low as 22% such is their solid base especially in many rural areas in particular. Secondly, FF as the third biggest party. :eek: My faith in the Irish people is being restored. I really hope the great unwashed kick FF into touch in the next elections. Theres now even a possiblity that FF mightn't win a Euro seat in Dublin which again would have been unthinkable in the past. Lets make them pay for their incompetence, cronyism, and general largesse with our tax dollars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Do you think that the private sector has to pay for a problem that was largely caused by bad regulation, bad political decisions, and mismanagement in the Public Sector?

We paid regulators to regulate the banks. Publicly paid regulators were there to ensure that the banks did not over-lend, as their equivalents in Germany and France ensured. Public Servants failed to do that. Time to pay up.

The levy is just an equalization move - the fact that Public Servants oppose it shows just how inherently greedy they are.

Yeah so its not the banks fault - its the regulator for missing out on their appalling and immoral behaviour? The Regulator was of course partly responsible and defo should have resigned but you miss the fact that it was the banks that screwed us!!! Get a grip!!!

Also I love your use of words to disguise unfair actions - 'equalisation' - I lol'd when i read that! :rolleyes:

And as for them being greedy - would you accept a pay cut when you weren't responsible for this crisis? I sincerely doubt it.

• Advertisement

Astonishing poll. Are we seeing the demise of FF?

I sincerely hope so - along with the demise of Civil War politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I sincerely hope so - along with the demise of Civil War politics.

I'd like to see the demise of civil war politics too. But I'd like to see FG destroyed rather than FF. Both would be good:):)

I'd like to see the demise of civil war politics too. But I'd like to see FG destroyed rather than FF. Both would be good:):)

+ 1.

Tho twud be great if they both got hammered and had to merge - Labour will need an opposition ;)

Pfft, then what use are statistics at all? ;)
    Ah but speculations are not fact:pac:

So in your opinion is Labour as close to the Trade Union movement as it was in the past or have they distanced themselves meaningfully from ye?
    [/quote]
    Who's distanced from who? Labour from the Trade unions or vice versa?

I'd still say there's a lot of links between the two, Labour still has the support of `12 trade unions which is a significant number.

Apparantly the excellent poll results have convinced the Party to run more candidates in the local elections... Great news methinks, take advantage of this momentum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Apparantly the excellent poll results have convinced the Party to run more candidates in the local elections... Great news methinks, take advantage of this momentum :)

Hopefully they get well established in every constituency and can build new organisations around the new councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hopefully they get well established in every constituency and can build new organisations around the new councillors.

They definitely need to do that as politics is local in Ireland. Their age profile of TD's is too high.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    They definitely need to do that as politics is local in Ireland. Their age profile of TD's is too high.

Well we're running a couple of Labour Youth candidates in Dublin, they should do well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Well we're running a couple of Labour Youth candidates in Dublin, they should do well :)
    Paul Dillon might have a decent chance, but no-one else stands out at the moment.

What Labour Youther's do you think have a chance?

Paul Dillon might have a decent chance, but no-one else stands out at the moment.

What Labour Youther's do you think have a chance?

I think Dermot Looney has a good chance. People do think that young people with new ideas is the way to go, and fair play to the senior party for supporting LY candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think Dermot Looney has a good chance. People do think that young people with new ideas is the way to go, and fair play to the senior party for supporting LY candidates.

I forgot about Dermot.

I knew him before he discovered politics (or his Dublin accent;))

I forgot about Dermot.

I knew him before he discovered politics (or his Dublin accent;))

Haha ah right! Its a small world :D

Dermot is tremendous fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭taibhse1966

I'm sure the people of Greenhills will be relieved to hear that Dermot Looney is tremendous fun, that comes in useful in a crisis especially for the elderly population of Greenhills. He comes across as a bit of a plonker really but it takes all sorts as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Ha, who doesn't know Dermot and his Looney Left?

G'luck to him an Dillo', etc.

Advertisement