Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do phonelines have earth rods?

Options
  • 12-02-2009 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have seen this small wire coming from my house and going into the ground. I am wondering whether it might be a phoneline earth rod.
    Can anyone tell me if telecom eireann phonelines had an earth rod connected to them outside the customer's house and if so, what purpose does it serve?

P.S. An eircom engineer installed a new master socket in recent years when installing ISDN and I am wondering whether this socket alleviates the need for this wire if it turns out that I am correct in thinking this wire is connected to the phoneline and not something else.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You most definitely do need that earth rod & wire.

It has nothing to do with your phone.

It is the earth for the AC mains in your house & is there to ensure that should anything go wrong that the ELCB on you fuse board will trip & save your a#ss......

Do not remove or tamper with that.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Certain phone termination boxes and equipment have earth options but you would normally just tap into a clean earth supply already in existance. There would be no need, well usually for a phone line to be indivdually earthed.. As Gag says, I wouldnt be messing with it!!! dzdzdzdzdzdzdz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

In fact it is possible that it could be an earth for the phone line. A house i used to live in had a phone line installed in the 1950's or early 60's with an earth wire to ground.
    If you don't know what your earth is there for, then leave it alone.

Advertisement