Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance & tax questions

Options
  • 12-02-2009 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi - i'm just looking for a litte advice.

I'm renting out my house for the first time and renting out a house closer to dublin (and my job!). The rent is 600pm which is 7,200per year. I know under the rent a room scheme you can get up 10,000 per year before you are affected by tax. I will be still contributing to the morgtage as the rent i recieve wont cover it, as well as paying my own rent elsewhere. I have a woman interested in renting it who recieves rent allowance
    1. can anyone tell me how much i'm taxed as if i sign up offically as a landlord? i know that i lose my TRS(which i cant afford too if i also get taxed)
    2. if i rent it out under the rent a room scheme can the tennant still pay me via rent allowance?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For the rent-a-room scheme you need to be actually living in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

surely if the OP keeps a room for themself in the house (for weekends etc.) and the bills in their name theyare effectively renting a room out and would be ok?

Advertisement