Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    davymoore wrote: »
    I hope it's up to expectations
    I think it might be a wee bit above them in fact Davy :D
    That looks absolutely beautiful, and watching it get made was downright special. Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to show us the behind-the-scenes look at it coming together.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Yes indeed very good,i'm not a knife man but i can appreciate a craftsman when i see one,excellent job
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    That's a first class piece of craftsmanship Davy. Congratulations, she's a beauty and very desirable!!

Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    looks superb! the timber is stunning if i do say so myself! well done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Thats an awesome knife!!..fair play:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

davy ,,its very satisfying to make or build some thing that will out live you and give enjoyment to all that will own it.

this knife is a good testament to yourself your passion and skill, well done .

if you want some one to field test it you have my no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

All I can say is WOW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

I am so impressed, Well done, the knife looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    A true beauty .....timber used in handle is the nicest, most unusual grain I have ever seen...well done!

Davy, is the wood treated with any varnish / waterproofer to protect it from the elements or it entirely natural.............just wondering how you avoid the wood swelling if it gets wet / sumerged in water etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Well done Davy, well done. Looks great and it really was exciting to follow the progress of the build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Davy,

Maith thú!

Outstanding

Bravo

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    J.R. wrote: »
    Davy, is the wood treated with any varnish / waterproofer to protect it from the elements or it entirely natural.............just wondering how you avoid the wood swelling if it gets wet / sumerged in water etc?

J.R.
    The wood is stabilised. The process forces liquid acrylic resins (- monomers and acrylics - catalysed into polymers, a process that creates long chain molecules - thanks Brother Ignatius :D ) into wood under high pressure. The resins completely impregnate the stock, and then are allowed to cure. Once stabilized, wood becomes harder, stronger, and will not change shape. The color darkens slightly. The result is a durable material that has qualities of both acrylic and wood thus eliminating the need for periodic refinishing or even applying a finish in the first place.

The same process is used with hardwood veneers. Veneers are vacuum impregnated with special dyes and resins. Sheets are layered and combined under tremendous heat and pressure to adhere the veneers for a durable real wood medium.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Davy et al

Something we have not discussed, that I am aware of, is etching with murriatic acid or ferric chloride etc. to bring out the Damascus pattern in the Suminagashi steel. Any thoughts on the process or its use in the future if you use this steel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Exellent work Davvy.Well impressive piece.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Well done Davy, it's a great piece of work. I've showed the pictures round the boards.ie offices and everyone agrees that you've made a work of art.

Not just that, but the process of working with all the posters here makes it a fairly unique knife. Everyone who posted opinions, offered suggestions and voted in the polls can be proud that they've participated but you've pulled it all together and guided the process to make something that doesn't look like it was designed by committee. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Davy I take my hat off to you and I just have to say that you have done a wonderfull job. Fairplay to you for putting all the hard work, time and effort into this project and putting up with all of us here with all our mad ideas.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow.

We've been watching this project from behind the curtains of the office since the start. Its absolutely astounding, not just the knife but the way you have involved everyone and benefitted from the input while also benefiting the site by feeding back things like the pictures and including all the suggestions etc.
    I truely wish more people worked with the site this way.

As for the knife, hell, I'm not a hunter and *I* want it. Its truely a beautiful object of craftsmanship. The skill and quality shines through in every aspect. It really is the ultimate Irish hunting knife!

Hat off sir, quality like that is rare these days...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭wicklow newbie

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Amazing Davy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Thats just pure class fair play to you Davy. How many hours would have been spent on the knife?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    lovely piece and great work Davy. This has a very unique look and also all the makings of a good working knife. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Excellant work Davey, hope it lived up to your expectations and idea all those months ago.
    Thumbs up from down under

Quick question, roughly hope much does the heat treating cost, also same question for the stabilising of the wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Davy et al

Something we have not discussed, that I am aware of, is etching with murriatic acid or ferric chloride etc. to bring out the Damascus pattern in the Suminagashi steel. Any thoughts on the process or its use in the future if you use this steel ?

DB
    I use this process quite a bit on damascus steel and I thought about etching the suminagashi aswell. Like anything else though, the process is irreversible and I like the look of the steel as is. In my opinion etching would take away from this particular knife.

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Mellor wrote: »
    Quick question, roughly hope much does the heat treating cost, also same question for the stabilising of the wood?

You can expect to pay about €20 to heat treat a blade .... but that's if you are treating more than one at a time. EG Peters heat treating service in the US will do up to 5 blades for $100 don't forget to factor in postage each way aswell.

Stabilising wood costs about the same but you can buy stabilised woods pretty easily these days. Give ebay a try.

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    greenpeter wrote: »
    Thats just pure class fair play to you Davy. How many hours would have been spent on the knife?

A normal build would take about 30 hours .. but this one .... flippin heck who knows it's got to be over 200 hours so far and we still have a sheath to design.

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    DeVore wrote: »
    Wow.

We've been watching this project from behind the curtains of the office since the start. Its absolutely astounding, not just the knife but the way you have involved everyone and benefitted from the input while also benefiting the site by feeding back things like the pictures and including all the suggestions etc.
    I truely wish more people worked with the site this way.

Hat off sir, quality like that is rare these days...

DeV.

Thanks to you guys for indulging the project to begin with. It had the potential to run amock and if you were wary of letting it go ahead at the beginning I wouldn't blame you.

In part this project was to show that quality IS available these days and that you don't have to look overseas to find it. There are a few very good knifemakers in Ireland. Like myself they sell most of their work overseas while we Irish seem to buy most of our custom knives from the US.

Good quality knives are passing each other in airports every day.

Thanks and Regards

Davy.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    The second last thing to do is to make a sheath for the knife.

I had suggested the sheath below and listening to some of your concerns I am dropping the brass "SNAP" arrangement and changing it to a slot and stud apparently these are called "Sam Brown Studs" probably because they were first used in Sam Brown Belts.

sbstud.jpg

sheath.gif

We discussed adding a pouch to carry a sharpener , firesteel etc. and if I have time I'll add this feature, this will be optional on any future sheaths.

Are there any other ideas or requests before I go ahead and make the sheath.

Any input is appreciated

Regards

Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    The second last thing to do is to make a sheath for the knife.

I had suggested the sheath below and listening to some of your concerns I am dropping the brass "SNAP" arrangement and changing it to a slot and stud apparently these are called "Sam Brown Studs" probably because they were first used in Sam Brown Belts.

sbstud.jpg

sheath.gif

We discussed adding a pouch to carry a sharpener , firesteel etc. and if I have time I'll add this feature, this will be optional on any future sheaths.

Are there any other ideas or requests before I go ahead and make the sheath.

Any input is appreciated

Regards

Davy
    Can i recommend the optional mounting slots to be vertical instead of horizontal..Reason being.I will be using one of these back packs http://www.eberlestock.com/H1%20Mini-Me.htm for this deer season and I want to rid the belt(I hate belts and gadgets hanging off them) and strap my knife to the shoulder strap of the pack. Thus the vertical slots would make it handy to use velcroe straps to secure the sheath to the shoulder straps of the pack..

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    How about this ?

sheath2.jpg

The belt loop and additional vertical slots could be used to achieve your mounting option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    How about this ?

sheath2.jpg

The belt loop and additional vertical slots could be used to achieve your mounting option ?
    Thats the one Davey..
    Im going to be looking flash with my new knife going up the mountain!!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

No
    dwighet wrote: »
    Thats the one Davey..
    Im going to be looking flash with my new knife going up the mountain!!!:D:D

And hopefully it'll be me looking at ya, looking flash, going up that mountain. :D

Advertisement