Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    clivej wrote: »
    And hopefully it'll be me looking at ya, looking flash, going up that mountain. :D

9 more weeks Clively...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭droc

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    The knife looks amazing Davy, first class job.

I like all of the ideas on the sheath so far, look forward to seeing the finished item.

DROC

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Folks I've got a slight dilemma ....

As you know .. when I posted the original thread I offered to raffle the knife among the participants within the thread.

I've had several PM's offering to buy the knife which I was reluctant to do as I wanted to stick to the original plan of the raffle.

However one of the latest PM's has come up with an idea worthy of exploring or discussing.

"One idea would be to put it on ebay and advertise the site here, so as it can go to a high bidder, then minus your costs, donate the rest of the takings to an agreed charity or country-sports organisation."

Now I am happy to swallow the costs as I would have done so anyway by raffling the knife. But I have to say I like the idea of auctioning the knife and letting some deserving cause benefit from the proceeds.

If this is agreeable among the group I propose that we go down this line. It would give those seriously interested in owning the knife a real opportunity to do so rather than waiting to be pulled from the hat by a matter of chance. Additionaly by going down the raffle route the eventual winner might not have a real interest in the knife to begin with.

However it is also possible that some of you may have participated heavily in the project simply to enhance your chances of winning the finished item and if that is the case then the auction would be the wrong way to go.

I'd like to know your thoughts on this ....

You can post here on the thread or feel free to PM me if you would rather not put your opinion on the open forum. Any PM's will be treated with the utmost confidentiality so feel free say whatever you think about this suggestion.

Regards

Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Not a bad idea davy, but just run it past DeVore because you'll be using the boards.ie moniker in the auction for the link (I somehow don't think he'd mind too much :) ).

I think it's beyond question that you'd retain from the proceeds whatever amount is required to cover your outlay on this project - the community here has definitely benefited from this entire endeavor, and fair's fair.

And on an unrelated point, I might suggest that donations to charity will be far less subject to quarrels over the worth of recipients than donations to sporting bodies would be...

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    I agree a charity would be more suitable and of course please feel free to discuss same with the Almighty one

And I rellay don't need to recover costs

Davy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    davymoore wrote: »
    I agree a charity would be more suitable and of course please feel free to discuss same with the Almighty one
    Davy
    Far be it from me to come between a poster and his admin! Just send him a PM.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Awesome idea! Might i suggest the hunters choose a target charity and use santa strike force as a vehicle? We are a 100% charity so all the money would go to you chosen target, we just organise things. Anyway its just a thought. Totally behind the auction idea. I've no idea what the knife is worth but i'd offer several hundred for it off the bat!!

DEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    DeVore wrote: »
    Awesome idea! Might i suggest the hunters choose a target charity and use santa strike force as a vehicle? We are a 100% charity so all the money would go to you chosen target, we just organise things. Anyway its just a thought. Totally behind the auction idea. I've no idea what the knife is worth but i'd offer several hundred for it off the bat!!

DEV.

The SSF woul dbe a good option, in keeping with the boards idea,
    but being honest, I'd still like to win the knife in a raffle (it's that good)

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    I just remembered that ebay have banned the sale of knives both here and in the UK so the auction might not be possible after all.

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    The sheath will be finished sometime today and then the whole lot is off to my good friend and photographer Paul Lehane.

The knife now needs one more decision from the group.

It needs a name.

Every good knifemaker names his models.

Chris Reeve..... Sebenza, Minandi etc.
    Randall ..... Model 25 Trapper etc.
    Alan Woods .... The Woodlore (Ray Mears Knife)
    Kershaw ..... Onion, leek etc.
    Farid .... First Blood (Rambo Knife)

I myself have named some of my own models in the past.. Burren Bushcrafter, Celtic Companion etc.

This knife deserves a cracking name

In keeping with the original spec of the project I think it should be something distinctively Irish. A unique name to go with what has been a unique project.

It would be lovely to think that one day someone would be asked "What kind of knife do you carry ?" and when the reply comes "I carry a *****" the person who asked might say "Oh yes I know that knife, that's the Irish one"

If we achieve that scenario then the project will have been a complete success. This will with the help of the mods once again be the last thing to be voted on.

I'll start it off with a few suggestions in the next Post

Davy

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Name the knife
    • Oisin
    • Setanta
    • Banshee
    • Gaoithe
    • Boru

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Name the knife
    • Oisin
    • Setanta
    • Banshee
    • Gaoithe
    • Boru
    Cu Chulainn would be my pick.It has a bit of balls behind it!!

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Name the knife
    • Oisin
    • Setanta
    • Banshee
    • Gaoithe
    • Boru
    • Cu Chulainn

To add to the list Quote the message and insert your suggestion's

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭gentleman jim

dwighet wrote: »
    Cu Chulainn would be my pick.It has a bit of balls behind it!!
    Cu Chulainn would be my choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    As an Ulster man Cu Chulainn would definitely be my choice also.

Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    How about " An Scian "

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Cu Chulainn for me to, id stay away from setanta you would probably have to pay a monthly subscipition to use it and one day you go to use it you find out that half the knife is missing :D:D

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Cu Chulainn for me to, id stay away from setanta you would probably have to pay a monthly subscipition to use it and one day you go to use it you find out that half the knife is missing :D:D

Nice one!!

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Name the knife
    • Oisin
    • Setanta
    • Banshee
    • Gaoithe
    • Boru
    • Cu Chullain
    • Tom Crean
    • Jackdaw
    • Bogman
    • Sliabh Mor
    • Falcon
    • Kestrel

Doesn't have to be mythicical, could be something from history, geography, native animals, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

Oisin
    Setanta
    Banshee
    Gaoithe
    Boru
    Cu Chullain
    Tom Crean
    Jackdaw
    Bogman
    Sliabh Mor
    Falcon
    Kestrel
    The Spancil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Doesn't have to be mythicical, could be something from history, geography, native animals, etc.

names suggestions:

Eureka as it's finally coming together

Sealgaire (hunter)

Celtic Hunter

I think the charity donation is a brilliant idea.....perhaps the winning bidder could decide which charity would benefit (may have a preference) as it would be his/her money.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    • Oisin
    • Setanta
    • Banshee
    • Gaoithe
    • Boru
    • Cu Chullain
    • Tom Crean
    • Jackdaw
    • Bogman
    • Sliabh Mor
    • Falcon
    • Kestrel
    • The Spancil
    • Eureka
    • Sealgaire
    • Celtic Hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

J.R. wrote: »
    names suggestions:

Eureka as it's finally coming together

Sealgaire (hunter)

Celtic Hunter

I think the charity donation is a brilliant idea.....perhaps the winning bidder could decide which charity would benefit (may have a preference) as it would be his/her money.

I think the ebay idea may be shot in the head, as knives are not allowed to be sold on ebay.
    We could have an open auction in this thread, each bidder giving a comitment to pay-up honestly, should they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Definitely should have a name.

Fia Rua

Cú Faoil

If the knife is sold on the open market (E-Ba) we should create a provenance, it will enhance it value and garner interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Definitely should have a name.

Fia Rua

Cú Faoil

If the knife is sold on the open market (E-Ba) we should create a provenance, it will enhance it value and garner interest.
    how about confining the auction to just Ireland, otherwise it could go anywhere!
    been a while since i done irish:D what does the second one mean?

ps. i like the idea of sealgaire though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the name should be recognisable as irish ,a easy name to remember and one that will sell this knife for davy and make him a rich man. or richer:D.

my pick is the "Druid " or the Druid as they worshiped the elements " earth sun fire water very much like us hunters .

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    ayapatrick wrote: »
    how about confining the auction to just Ireland, otherwise it could go anywhere!
    been a while since i done irish:D what does the second one mean?

ps. i like the idea of sealgaire though!

Cú Faoil = Irish Wolf hound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭droc

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I like OISIN.

DROC

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Well I made the sheath ...

It's crap.......

It's a decent design for a sheath but not for this knife. It does nothing for it. A total mismatch that seems to fight against the lines of the knfe. In fact the knife would be better off in a shoe box.

Back to the drawing board .....

Davy

BTW Some geat names coming through

Sealgaire (Hunter) I really like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

How about;
    somthing historical, name it after a Irish hero or political figure,that way Davvy could get a whole seris going of once off custom knives with a unique "Irish" line.Culminating in 2016,to commerate the founding of the Irish State.:)
    As for Ebay not selling it...their loss...Sell it on EGUN!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement