Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I like that idea grizz, Collect the whole set;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

davymoore wrote: »
    Well I made the sheath ...

It's crap.......

It's a decent design for a sheath but not for this knife. It does nothing for it. A total mismatch that seems to fight against the lines of the knfe. In fact the knife would be better off in a shoe box.

Back to the drawing board .....

Davy

BTW Some geat names coming through

Sealgaire (Hunter) I really like that

I'd love to see a photo regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Culminating in 2016,to commerate the founding of the Irish State.:)
    I think you mean 2021 :D:D

As for the name, I think its a great idea. But I also think that if we went with Setanta/Cúchulainn/Oisin/Fionn or any of the other well know figures from the myths, we are straying towards the tacky element we set out to avoid. how many items can be bought in Carrolls or the airport with the same name.

I'm not against using a lesser known (and closer linked to hunting) figure. After all we want the name to be associated with the knife, not the knife with the figure.

My suggestions,
    My favoured choice is The Táin, a story we all know in english. The cattle raid of cooley. yet, few know it well in Irish, its proper title, Táin Bó Cúailnge. Which is often simple referred to an The Táin, its short and easy to remember, its unique and distinctive, and it has a defined link to Irish and Ireland that isn't immediately obvious (so the name in time becomes recognized as the knife among hunters).

The
    Macha - The pagan irish godess of war
    Bricriu - Ulster warrior and trouble maker
    Étaín - The pagan sun goddess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭droc

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Shame about the sheath, I'd like to see a pic anyway.

Good idea about the Tain, it's a great story and a good name.

Sealgaire is a good idea to some extent, but if Davey's looking at selling these internationally it's a bit complicated and will be impossible for the durty Furriners* to pronounce.

DROC

*This is humour, please don't label me a racist because of a bad joke

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[I think you mean 2021 :D:D

:oOk,but that then gives us two more knives..the Big fellah and the Tall fellah.:pac::D

As for the name, I think its a great idea. But I also think that if we went with Setanta/Cúchulainn/Oisin/Fionn or any of the other well know figures from the myths, we are straying towards the tacky element we set out to avoid. how many items can be bought in Carrolls or the airport with the same name.

Not many sharp or pointy ones though.:)But true enough.Was thinking more like The Kern,Galloglach,the Raparee,etc IOW more recent historical names.

My suggestions,
    My favoured choice is The Táin,
    I like!
    Macha - The pagan irish godess of war
    Isnt that the same as the Morrigon or just the Gaelic name?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    droc wrote: »
    Shame about the sheath, I'd like to see a pic anyway.

Good idea about the Tain, it's a great story and a good name.

Sealgaire is a good idea to some extent, but if Davey's looking at selling these internationally it's a bit complicated and will be impossible for the durty Furriners* to pronounce.

DROC

*This is humour, please don't label me a racist because of a bad joke
    Im Austrailian and I dont have a problem with the pronounciation..But im lucky I have an Irish dictionary(wife) to help me out.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Would it be possibe to have an edited version of this thread put up as a sticky. One with just Davy's step by step posts for anyone wanting to have a go themselves? Or maybe something printer friendly?

I'm not sure how much work that would involve from ye guys but think it would be a great idea.

Thanks a mill,
    Bob

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    pajero2005 wrote: »
    Would it be possibe to have an edited version of this thread put up as a sticky. One with just Davy's step by step posts for anyone wanting to have a go themselves? Or maybe something printer friendly?

I'm not sure how much work that would involve from ye guys but think it would be a great idea.

Thanks a mill,
    Bob
    I second that idea....seriously thinking of cleaning out the junk room and trying my hand at creating a knife or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    There's a better tutorial that I did at the following link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055560406

Personally while I've enjoyed every minute of the thread so far (Well Almost) I dont think it merits being made a sticky

What I'd really like to see is a knife making forum then anyone interested could try to make knives and share tips and advice etc. It would make a nice sub forum of the hunting section.

Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Seconded on the knife forum.Dont we have somthing on blades here on Boards?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I love the honesty to be able to say "you know what, thats crap! :( I'll start again"... hahaha. The devil is in the detail...

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: we can auction it here on Boards if you want, in a separate Hunting forum thread. It wont stop other people bidding and we can ensure payment before delivery or go to the next highest bidder.

I've no idea what a knife like that would be expected to go for if it was custom made, can anyone enlighten me?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Seconded on the knife forum.Dont we have somthing on blades here on Boards?

+1
    this project seems to have given a lot of guys the idea to give making a knife a blast. meself included!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Isnt that the same as the Morrigon or just the Gaelic name?
    Almost, sometimes the Morrigan refers to a paticular deity. One who is associated with war, appears a crow etc. Similar to the norse Valkyries.
    Macha would be the older (and more powerful) sister of that morrigan. Badb being the other sister.

Another version lists Macha, Badb and Demain as the three Morrigans (Morrigna), which makes its a sort of type of creature, similar to the Furies in Greek,

i don't know which is more common or accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fourtycoats

If you look here http://www.britishblades.com/forums/index.php you will get an idea of what an Irish knife forum on Boards could look like. In answer to your question Dev, the knife would normally be worth €150 to €300 but in auction, as it has history and is a first, then maybe more.

"Each person who participates in the design thread is entered into a Raffle. I will draw a name from a hat at the end of the build and the winner will receive the original knife."

Has this idea been kocked on the head?

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    If you look here http://www.britishblades.com/forums/index.php you will get an idea of what an Irish knife forum on Boards could look like. In answer to your question Dev, the knife would normally be worth €150 to €300 but in auction, as it has history and is a first, then maybe more.

id pay 300 for it...no problem at all.feck the recession.a knife like that would last a life time.
    Over the last 4 years I must admit ive spent well over 300 squid looking for a good blade that holds a good edge...finally found one that a mate in scotland made for me.. cost me 150 sterling but no way near as good looking as davies knife...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    pajero2005 wrote: »
    "Each person who participates in the design thread is entered into a Raffle. I will draw a name from a hat at the end of the build and the winner will receive the original knife."

Has this idea been kocked on the head?

I think several contributers have simply not been on this thread long enough to have seen this.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Just to be clear folks the auction is still only an idea which was suggested to me via PM. The original idea of the raffle for the knife is still what I intend to do unless
    • The auction is found to be a more favourable alternative by all concerned
    • That doing so would not be in breach of the original post
    • Would not cause undue concern among those who have been involved in the Thread/Project since the beginning.
    • The auction could be carried out transparently
    • The knife could make a realistic price at auction and therefore would not undervalue any subsequent knives built in this design.

When I posted the original suggestion of auctioning the knife for charity, I said .....
    I'd like to know your thoughts on this ....

You can post here on the thread or feel free to PM me if you would rather not put your opinion on the open forum. Any PM's will be treated with the utmost confidentiality so feel free say whatever you think about this suggestion.

This of course still applies

Davy

lordarpad wrote: »
    I think several contributers have simply not been on this thread long enough to have seen this.

Dont get me wrong. I've only looked on at this one with interest, don't think for a second i'm pushing for the raffle idea, I was just wondering what happened to the idea.:D

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    No don't get ME wrong the raffle idea is still my preffered idea ...

The auction is new suggestion probably a worthy suggestion but I would have to be convinced about all of the points above before I would be in favour of altering the original plan

Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭droc

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I like the raffle idea, some of the guys on here have contributed a lot to the design of this knife and a chance to own one is a fantastic reward for that.

DROC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Davy, would it be possible to share the knife, just so we all can see it in the flesh, play with it for a week and then send it on to the next person .

We could call it knife sharing, the knife is not to be used and we all should pay a small contributaion to a charity and of course P+P.

Maybe a paypal account could be debited and credited before and after, the safe return of the knife.

When interest in the knife sharing is done , we could raffle it between all those who were involved in the knife sharing, not a free raffle , but at a fee.I think an auction would be totally unfair as some on here can well afford to bid and others can not.

Just an idea, as I collect knives and dont use most of them just take them out for a wee look every now and again.

Maca

Thats a top idea Macadam. It would be great for everyone to get to see it in the flesh. Anymore in favour of Macadams idea??

I just had another idea. Not sure how possible it would be, maybe someone involved in the midlands club might know, what about a boards.ie shoot at the midlands? Everybody paying an entry fee (to be decided) Davy could put a price on the knife and any extra money raised from entry fees could go to a charity of his choice. It would be a great way for everyone to see the knife, put faces to names and have a good day's shooting.

The knife could be first prize in some kind of a competition that could cater for various calibres. What do ye think?

The shotgun boys wouldn get great groups:):-P

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Dusty87 wrote: »

clay shoot?

ayapatrick wrote: »
    clay shoot?

I dont know wil this idea work. In theory its good but would it work?

Might not be as great an idea as first thought!!!:mad:

• Advertisement

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I dont know wil this idea work. In theory its good but would it work?

i think there could be alot in what ya say!
    if i remember right there was a boardsclay meet organised here ages ago and it didnt work out so dont know?

Advertisement