Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Mornin, well done Smokey, I'm gonna be late for Birr, more later, gotta run, thanks to all who came by and said hello yesterday

Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    well done smokey :) *envyenvyenvy*

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Dusty87 wrote: »
    LB6 was that you there when the draw took place?

well dusty
    that was me ,just happened to be passing at the right time

ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

ianoo wrote: »
    well dusty
    that was me ,just happened to be passing at the right time

ian

ah right, meant to ask your username and forgot:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mark12ga

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    i was just going to ask who won the knife as soon a clicked on got the ans well done smokey its a beut!! enjoy :);) didnt get near birr working all wkend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Congrats smokey and well done davey, its been a pleasure taking part in this most entertaining thread, couldnt make Birr today either, but we all know smokey will be having big tea party to show off OUR knife :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Well stacking the deck with juju, talisman's, amulets, triskele's, the Shichifukujin did not seem to work all that well. :D Should have used the rabbits foot. ;)

So the best one can do is offer congratuations to Smokey Skelton and thank Davy Moore for an outstanding job and all who contributed for a most enlightning thread.

Good luck with "Sealgaire No. 1" Smokey, The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife .

Use it in good health for it's intended purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well done Smokey on winning and Davvy for building this fine piece...Now,a little problem
    .It is traditional to give a penny for a knife if you recive one as a gift[So the friendship will never be cut by the gift].Soo does Smokey give us all a cent here on Boards???:eek::D.Or will it be considerd tradition served if he gives Davvy the 1cent??
    Opinions welcome.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Grizzly, I have never met a smokey yet that will give copper away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

No
    Congrats Smokey :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

congrats smokey from a very jealous man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Congrats Smokey :cool:

+ 1 ........well done!

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Well I got back from Birr in one piece thanks for asking :D

I wanted to say it was brilliant to meet some of you there and thanks for all the kind words and thanks for gracing the table.

I have to say that all & all the fair went very well, I sold a few knives, and got a few commissions so for me it was a very worthwhile trip.

It was amazing to see the variety of people who turned up at the table and hear some of their thoughts on knives.

I had one fella who told me that my knives wouldnt be sharp enough because they weren't made from D2 steel I tried to explain that CPM154 and Suminagashi & Damasteel were far superior to D2 but he wouldnt have it he read it in a book (So it must be true) that D2 was the best steel in the world. I shaved my arm with the CPM154 knife but he said it still wasn't as sharp as the D2 which he was gonna buy one day. I offered to build him a knife in D2 but he said he was going to buy the one in the book cos it was bigger and sharper than mine and anyway it was built in china in the traditional way. Two guys at the table burst out laughing (I didn't) and he sloped off

There was another guy who told me that he could buy 20 knives for the price of one of mine. I told him if they were that cheap he'd probably need all 20 of them. He called me a robbing BAS***D. I explained to him that he did not have to buy one if he didn't want to. I explained that it took me 30 to 40 hours to make one and that if he took off the price of the materials I was making €8.20 an hour he said that this was too much and that the knives should be cheaper. There was a nice crowd around the table at the time and this guy was doing his best to embarrass me. So I asked him what he did for a living, turns out he was a builder. I asked him for a price to build me a new workshop. He got the hint and sloped off.

A few of these guys turned up every day. I think they just like to be heard or believe themselves to know better than anyone else.

The vast majority of people who turned up though were very nice and I was overwhelmed by the nice comments regarding the workmanship. In particular the older gentlemen who came to the table were fantastic. They stood for ages and listened to all I had to say as I waffled on about steel and how the knives were made they were full of questions. They wanted to know where I got such and such a piece of timber and talked about how they would go to the local barber years ago and he'd sharpen their knife on a strop for a penny. It really was brilliant spending the time with them.

I'll definitely do it again next year

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    SMOKEY!!

I think he must be on holidays or something cos he hasn't replied to my PM. If anyone knows him personally give him a shout and ask him to contact me so I can arrange to ship the knife.

There was a reserve number drawn on Saturday so if Smokey hasn't contacted me within 30 days then the knife will go to the reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    my congrats to smokey and commiserations to myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

No
    davymoore wrote: »
    SMOKEY!!

I think he must be on holidays or something cos he hasn't replied to my PM. If anyone knows him personally give him a shout and ask him to contact me so I can arrange to ship the knife.

There was a reserve number drawn on Saturday so if Smokey hasn't contacted me within 30 days then the knife will go to the reserve.

;);) DRAW the reserve ticket Smokey has gone on a Round the World Trip ;);)

I want a second chance. :D

Having said all this congrats to smokey

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Some of you already know about my website. Up to now (until the project was finished) I didn't want to post a link to the site in case anyone got the idea that I was in this for commercial reasons only.

Now that the project is winding up though I decided to post a link to the site so here it is.

http://www.davymoore.com

Simple as that. Please feel free to browse the site and if I can be of help to anyone who might be looking to have a custom knife made my contact details are included.

Regards

Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

No
    30 days :o The suspense will kill me :D

Should be like Late Late show if ya ain't waiting by phone (or in this case his PM folder) you loose :p

I seen the reserve ticket but cant for the life of me remember even what colour the ticket was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Hi Davy,

I've sent a pm. Sorry for technical difficulties and all that.

I'm over the moon. The knife looks a beauty on the pics, and I can't wait to handle it in person.

I just really clicked in to see how the meet went at the weekend and my jaw hit the floor. I'm glad the meet went well over the weekend, but I'm totally delighted that I won. I'll be hounding the postman until it arrives.

I'll let you know as soon as it arrives.

Yeaaaaaa!!! :D:D

Smokey

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    I seen the reserve ticket but cant for the life of me remember even what colour the ticket was!!

Doesn't realy matter at this point I reckon as Smokey has made a miraculous recovery by the looks of it:D but it was a white ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

(I probably could get away with just "Gentlemen", but on the grounds of gender balance I thought I'd better play it safe).

I didn't know whether to start a new thread or drag this thread up from the bowels of page 3, but it's such an interesting thread I thought why not?

Just to confirm, if any of you ever doubted it, that Davy is a man of his word. Sealgaire No. 1 or uimhir a-haon, arrived together with a handsomely finished custom fitted leather sheath.

This really is a lovely piece of craftsmanship. The suminagashi steel has an extremely attractive damascus style layering, and the wych elm handle is a great choice of materials, beautifully set off by black liners. The handle puts me in mind of a few high-end scandinavian style knives I have seen, such as a hand-crafted top of the range pukko.

I haven't really put it to the test yet, just sharpened a pencil, which does not really do justice to a knife of this quality. To cut a long story short I'm really impressed with Davy's work, and delighted to be the lucky owner of Sealgaire No. 1, and I'm sure it will serve me well for many years to come.

I really hope the Sealgaire puts Davy and Irish knifemaking on the map, and raises the profile of Irish craftsmanship.

Thanks again to Davy, and to everyone who contributed to a stimulating thread and a great knife. :)

Smokey

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Well said Smokey, and the best of luck with sealgaire #1.

maca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭droc

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Congrats Smokey and TTT with the thread for any newbies.

DROC

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you are ever in Dublin, let us know and bring the knife, everyone in the office has been keeping abreast of this thread (we were all dead jealous!). Congrats and also well done to Davy, I'm glad you included your new website domain, I have no problem with highlighting quality companies who work with our communities in an interesting and symbiotic manner and this was a case study of how it should be done.

Please do keep us up to date with how the knife goes and if it sells or is in demand. Also, if you want to include a link to the genesis of the knife here, feel free. We're proud to be associated with it.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Please do keep us up to date with how the knife goes and if it sells or is in demand.
    DeV.

When i was a Davys stall the saturday, he had already sold 14 that day:eek:
    I think that answers that question:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

When i was a Davys stall the saturday, he had already sold 14 that day:eek:
    I think that answers that question:D

Aye, was down with IRLConor and I think he had twenty-something on the sunday afternoon. Good day at the office by any standards! Have to say though, handling the stuff, it's magnificent work. Full credit and I hope he has a lot of success. When I've some spare cash, I'll get one made myself. I also really like his sheath designs. might pick one up for one of my own knives, as far as I recall they were a reasonable price too.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow...:eek:... awesome.

I s'pose it IS the ultimate Irish hunting knife after all... :)

DeV.

Also, I just checked Google and this thread is the #1 result for "Irish hunting knife", and on the first page of results for "Hunting knife". Kinda weirdly, but no less cool, if that Davy's own page is the first result for "irish knife" with this thread following shortly behind it.

Useless info... I haz it.

DeV.

• Advertisement

I also really like his sheath designs. might pick one up for one of my own knives, as far as I recall they were a reasonable price too.

Aye, there nice and tidy arnt they. Nice the way the knife kind of "clicks" in. Not click but kind of tightens the last nudge you give it in. Real tasty work in fairness, well worth the money if i had it but i probably wouldnt use it for fear of damaging it:p:p

Advertisement