Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Aye, there nice and tidy arnt they. Nice the way the knife kind of "clicks" in. Not click but kind of tightens the last nudge you give it in. Real tasty work in fairness, well worth the money if i had it but i probably wouldnt use it for fear of damaging it:p:p

The sheaths are a great design. If you have an existing knife whose sheath you're not a fan of, it'd be worth getting him to make one up. Think I'll be doing that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Just dragging this thread back from the vaults. I was wondering how Smokeyskelton got on with the knife.

Any one interested in an Ultimate Irish Bird & Trout knife ?

I'm bored :D

Oh and happy paddy's day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭mixerbarcoe

whats the cost of an Ultimate Irish Bird & Trout knife???

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    I'm just wondering if folks would like to design one.
    A new year,a new knife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

Just had a look at the thread, thanks for the reply Davy i really appreciate it, i'll let you know how i get on!
    Go on, new year new project, go for it!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    davymoore wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if folks would like to design one.
    A new year,a new knife

That'd be a thread I'd love to read (even if I'd be as much use as a chocolate frying pan with the actual designing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Just dragging this thread back from the vaults. I was wondering how Smokeyskelton got on with the knife.

Any one interested in an Ultimate Irish Bird & Trout knife ?

I'm bored :D

Oh and happy paddy's day
    Hi Davy, what cost for the ultimate deer knife?:)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

why not start a new thread for a new knife. I'd love to see the new design!

DeV.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Hi Dev

Good to hear from you

Yes I guess that's the idea. A whole new thread, let's design a whole new knife.

I just wanted to see if there would be the interest or energy to do another one.
    • A Bird & Trout knife
    Regards

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Hi Davy, what cost for the ultimate deer knife?:)

Mauser
    My deer knife is the Sealgaire.
    I would be happy to quote for a custom made knife.
    However please contact me either via PM or email.

Regards

Davy

• Advertisement

Hi Dev

Good to hear from you

Yes I guess that's the idea. A whole new thread, let's design a whole new knife.

I just wanted to see if there would be the interest or energy to do another one.
    • A Bird & Trout knife
    Regards

Davy

im sure there would be a bit of interest in one..id like to see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I'm game :)

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Ok how about we design new knife then.

What kind of knife would you like to design ?

Bird & Trout
    New Deer knife
    Skinner

etc.

let me know

Regards

Davy

Bird & Trout
    New Deer knife
    Skinner

etc.

let me know

Regards

Davy
    Deer knife for me Davy, I suggest conducting a poll to see what guys want also so you can judge interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Same blade, just a couple of inches longer for in or around same price, and a leather scabbard

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3052

Bird & Trout
    New Deer knife
    Skinner

etc.

let me know

Regards

Davy

ive been doing a lil bit of looking around at knives there and i like the idea of a bird and trout/small game knife.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Same blade, just a couple of inches longer for in or around same price, and a leather scabbard

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3052

A couple of inches longer ........ Ok but why ?

For in or around the same price ! (Hand made v factory made) Impossible

Do you really want a 420 Stainless Steel Blade ?

Most of us have one of these blades thrown in the shed somewhere.

Regards

Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Hi Davy welcome back. be very interested in new project. Deer knife for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

Hi Davy,

Great idea, looking forward to reading about the project!

I think it would be bird and trout for me. Find most of my knives for stalking (no more than 4''-5'' blade), although perfectly up to the task, just that little bit cumbersome when handling small game (rabbit, birds etc). Will be very interesting to see new knife take its form.

Cheers!

Hi Davy, whats the verdict? are you designing a new knife?

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Hi Lads

Yeah I'm definitely up for doing a new knife, though I'm not sure if there is as much interest this time around or which type of knife to go for.

What I had in mind was either a new deer knife or possibly something smaller for bird & trout small game etc.

The last knife project was brilliant, plenty of enthusiasm good craic at times, some mad off the wall suggestions and some right on track ideas. Obviously I'd love to try another project like that.

Thing is, I reckon we need at least 20 people involved in the design to generate an atmosphere like the last build you need to bounce ideas off each other and argue like the bejaysus. This way Real, New ideas come forward. At the moment only a handfull of people have come forward to express an interest in a new knife so it may not be the right time. I'm just not sure there would be enough input generated and I think it would get stagnant pretty fast.

Bottom line, If theres enough interest in a new project then I'm game. If not .... then I'd be better off pottering around in the workshop by myself.

Regards

Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hi Lads

Yeah I'm definitely up for doing a new knife, though I'm not sure if there is as much interest this time around or which type of knife to go for.

What I had in mind was either a new deer knife or possibly something smaller for bird & trout small game etc.

The last knife project was brilliant, plenty of enthusiasm good craic at times, some mad off the wall suggestions and some right on track ideas. Obviously I'd love to try another project like that.

Thing is, I reckon we need at least 20 people involved in the design to generate an atmosphere like the last build you need to bounce ideas off each other and argue like the bejaysus. This way Real, New ideas come forward. At the moment only a handfull of people have come forward to express an interest in a new knife so it may not be the right time. I'm just not sure there would be enough input generated and I think it would get stagnant pretty fast.

Bottom line, If theres enough interest in a new project then I'm game. If not .... then I'd be better off pottering around in the workshop by myself.

Regards

Davy

Deer Knife
    Leather or Antler handle
    Leather sheath
    Brass rivets

New knife with an old school theme
    Use teh curve on antler to create and Ergo feel.

Blade Bowie style Personal pref at least 8" blade as a Deer hunter I like a knife that can cut branches if need be to make an impromptu deer carcass hauling sled.
    It would be nice if the knife came with a sharpener like The Downunder Outback knife that I dream about :D
    And perhaps a leather tie off to stop knife slapping against your hip when stalking
    something like this
    Except Irish Deer Antler handle
    h309.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd be interested in either project. Something slimmer and a little bit more flexible for a birds and fish knife would be nice. Something really neat and manipulable.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

With an 8GB USB key built in to it and a fire-lighter. The two essentials for urban and rural living!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Hi Lads

Regards

Davy

Davy,

Enjoyed the last knife built - well done!

Why not put up a poll simply asking how many would be genuinely interested in contributing to a new knife build.

If you get more than 20 'Yes' then you have a good idea that it could be a 'runner'!

J.R. wrote: »
    Davy,

Enjoyed the last knife built - well done!

Why not put up a poll simply asking how many would be genuinely interested in contributing to a new knife build.

If you get more than 20 'Yes' then you have a good idea that it could be a 'runner'!
    Yep a poll seems the way to go Davy.
    Deer knife for me, 5" blade would be fine. I like the antler egro handle idea. Just a question though how does the antler handle when the hands are covered in blood? is there still a decent grip?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭wicklow newbie

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    I would def be on for a bird and trout knife Davy.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Yep a poll seems the way to go Davy.
    Deer knife for me, 5" blade would be fine. I like the antler egro handle idea. Just a question though how does the antler handle when the hands are covered in blood? is there still a decent grip?:)

depends on what type of antler.reindeer is what they use in Nordic countries,red deer can be brittle and porous but Im sure they could be treated AFAIK.personally prefer wood the last one Davy made where beautiful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

peeler_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

Would be great to see and get involved in a new build, something for birds and fish would be good, possibly along the lines of a filleting or a boning knife ?

Advertisement