Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    good old bowie knife ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Thanks for the clarification DavyM.

How about this one lads, I thought it a bit long at first but it feels like a smaller knife when I put it to work. A well balanced knife and holds an edge.

3287356241_8f10f82db8.jpg

Blade: 4.75 - 120mm x 1.0" - 25.4mm
    Knife: 9.375 - 235mm
    Thick:.170 - 4.3mm

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Overall length: 7 1/2"
    Blade length: 3 3/8"
    Blade thickness: 0.135”
    Weight: 4.5 oz.
    Blade steel: D2

3288175396_21ce2f7dfd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    DB
    I find it interesting that you have chosen two knives with very modern looking lines. What really intrigues me is the fact that neither of these handle options include either finger guards, Bolsters or Pommels.

Would this be your preference in general and why ? What I mean is, is it the aesthetics you prefer or is there some practical reason for these choices ?

[Edit]
    Just noticed the kydex sheath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

DB i would not have the first knife but the second one has to be worth a another look size is good and the profile of the blade is getting there .

davy the modern look i have no problem with as long as its well made with good quality material.
    but this is further down the line for decision.
    may i ask you a question .as a crafts man like myself you must be able to see in your minds eye the finished knife ,i would be very interested in your interpretation of it .

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    JW To be totally honest with you I can't see it. I would have gone with a hidden tang and played around with the design elements of the handle to get that Irish feeling maybe using antler and silver but we are gone down a different path.

It is possible that we might go down a more modern route alltogether and that's fine by me as I do like some of the modern makers work.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    "is it the aesthetics you prefer or is there some practical reason for these choices ?"

DavyM

Purely practical. They are tools. The first knife is almost always in the Land Rover and the smaller one is tucked away in the tractor cab. They are working knives. I try not to abuse them but if need be I will take some lea-way

Now the knives below are aesthetically pleasing and no doubt will do the job but you will not find me taking knifes like those out in the soaking rain and muck or letting them sit in the LR or barn for weeks on end. I consider them fair weather knifes.

JW, the smaller knife is reached for regularly.

Sorry to say none of these are mine. But I like them.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3617/3287563323_34209f0d93_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3656/3287563257_8fec3bee6f_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/3287563423_2a4a3e1d9a_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

This is the knife that I have found to be nearly perfect as an all round hunting knife be it for skinning or for making hides
    srkwhr1.jpg

Blade Length - 4 1/2"
    Blade Thickness - 3/16"
    Overall Length - 9"
    Handle - Respirine C;
    Material - SR101 Steel hardened at 58-60 RC, cryo quenched;

The handle material is particularly suited to hunting knives as it is a rubberised material which is nice in cold weather also remains very grippy even when soaked in blood etc(or diesel as it has been). The blade shape is also nice and seems suited to many tasks though it would be nice for it to be sharpened for maybe 10mm down from the tip on the back of the blade. Not sure could it be "Irished" though.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I would classify these as "Hunters".
    I like the "looks" and hold the blades to between 3.75 & 4.75".

p1010009ys3.jpgp4024n1md6.jpg

85212_1_b.jpg

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Meat and Potatoes Knife:
    Blade:3.75 - Handle: 4.75 - 440C

2487789787e92f8b7bbaofp7.jpg2487789805a2b9abd66bomk2.jpg

• Advertisement

one problem with them all DB ...no blood on them

davymoore wrote: »
    JW To be totally honest with you I can't see it. I would have gone with a hidden tang and played around with the design elements of the handle to get that Irish feeling maybe using antler and silver but we are gone down a different path.

It is possible that we might go down a more modern route alltogether and that's fine by me as I do like some of the modern makers work.

i hope so davy, a practical knife made to be used .

i would also like to see the same knife made but it would be a collectors knife for occasional use ,that you can show your true talent on .

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    It's very interesting to me that the knives picked out , by photograph, for display in the thread ,as favourites or ideas, fit into two distinct categories, So Far

I realize that anyone can post their next pick and refute this but So Far .......

What we have is either a modern styled knife with no fancy fittings and that knife being full tang............ Or a more traditional looking knife that is hidden tang and more ornate.

I have also found this day to day whilst building commissions.

Is there a reason for this?

What I mean is... does a perceived lack of strength [myth .. [see hidden v full tang arguments] inhibit artistic license or intricacy? Even if it's only our own perception

Yes, Sat 22nd only

DB

That J Nielson Bowie is fantastic, He is one of the worlds top makers and he along with Jerry Fisk is among my knifemaking heroes. I was lucky enough to live in Arkansas for some years and got to see some of their outstanding workmanship.

there's a fisk knife on the same website
    http://www.arkansasknifemakers.com/maxpages/Art_Award

A hell davy your a bling man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

It's very interesting to me that the knives picked out , by photograph, for display in the thread ,as favourites or ideas, fit into two distinct categories, So Far

I realize that anyone can post their next pick and refute this but So Far .......

What we have is either a modern styled knife with no fancy fittings and that knife being full tang............ Or a more traditional looking knife that is hidden tang and more ornate.

I have also found this day to day whilst building commissions.

Is there a reason for this?

What I mean is... does a perceived lack of strength [myth .. [see hidden v full tang arguments] inhibit artistic license or intricacy? Even if it's only our own perception
    I had a hidden tang knife years ago, the handle split when I was using it one day and since then I've prefered full tang knives with a solid handle, I hate a knife that slips as Im using it. I dont really care what the knife looks like as long as it cuts cleanly. The blade length and shape are also important, 3-4" suits me well with a slightly curved blade. I can use a knife that size and shape but anything bigger I find awkward and cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.

DB

That J Nielson Bowie is fantastic, He is one of the worlds top makers and he along with Jerry Fisk is among my knifemaking heroes. I was lucky enough to live in Arkansas for some years and got to see some of their outstanding workmanship.

there's a fisk knife on the same website
    http://www.arkansasknifemakers.com/maxpages/Art_Award

That fisk knife is an absolute beauty!

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I would classify these as "Hunters".
    I like the "looks" and hold the blades to between 3.75 & 4.75".

p1010009ys3.jpgp4024n1md6.jpg

85212_1_b.jpg

any of these I would take, just go away with that modern **&^%%$!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.

I've noticed it too Davy, but i personally think the reason might be the other side. Somebody intending to buy or make a ornate knife avoids full tang because or precieved plainness.

I know I mentioned strength as a reason for choosing full tang. And at this point I feel I wasn't clear. I was refering to weight and the odd butt bashing. I don't think anyone believes that a hidden tang knife might shear off at the hilt (so to speak). It should be plainly obvious that if it was to fail, a timber or bone handle would fail before the steel (bare an impact fracture)

If we are going full tang, I see no reason why we can't skip the mass and go fully ornate.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    So what would you think of this blade shape on a full tang knife

p1010009ys3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bhanuprakash

hi
    its wonderful

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Was playing around with this idea

It's probably close to actual size
    compromise3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭brieny1000

ya ,looks good

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    hmm, I'd like a rather pronounced finger guard - that really is the make of break for me I think. preferably also a straight back. Would these be questions for a poll?

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    I might be wrong........ but I think we are far from a poll on this part of the build. ...Blade profile [shape]... will be .. I think one of the hardest parts to decide on and it needs to be well thought out.

Fixed or Folder, Full or Hidden ,that was childs play, compared to what's ahead and you've collectively contributed over 200 posts and almost 4,000 views so far.

If you really want to design a knife then it's time to get serious.

Start sketching and start posting or you are wasting my time, your time, and bandwidth to boot.

Regards

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Lordarpad

I dont mean to diminish in anyway what you were suggesting about polls on various aspects of the shape [ie straight back etc.] but in fairness guys if we don't have any basic design suggestions coming through then it's hardly worth the effort. Mellor, JW, DB, Grizzly and yourself of course have submitted ideas. But what about everyone else ? and whats RIGHT rather than wrong with the designs so far ?

BTW Full tang Wins

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    brieny1000 wrote: »
    ya ,looks good

Chances of this post being considered valid and winning the knife "0"

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Davey the above idea you are playing about with, I like the shape as for the length its a little bit long for my likeing.I would prefer the blade to be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch smaller.Would have to 2nd Lordarpad in relation to the trigger guard. Here a two similar tradational knives iv come across from around the globe that are a bit similar to your desgin. One is from Argentina and one from Russia, I would be a fan of the Boker with the stag handel from argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I like the boker above, similar drop point to Davys above and the sketch I did earlier,
    The shape will take alot of messing with, but wait til we get to the handle :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I like the boker above, similar drop point to Davys above and the sketch I did earlier,
    The shape will take alot of messing with, but wait til we get to the handle :D:D

Thinking along these lines for the handle or maybe a bone from a basking shark seen as they been on our shores for centuries. Might get a few rasied eye brows with the basking shark idea :D

Advertisement