Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

for a one off knife you could use a bone from a irish elk :cool:or bone from your grandmother for a handle ,but for a knife to go into production it has to be a easy sourced material.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    jwshooter wrote: »
    for a one off knife you could use a bone from a irish elk :cool:or bone from your grandmother for a handle ,but for a knife to go into production it has to be a easy sourced material.

I really think the holly idea is a winner there

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭brieny1000

davymoore wrote: »
    Chances of this post being considered valid and winning the knife "0"
    i didnt post to join competition. i saw that poll was closed so thought that side was over.. i was only giving my opinion on d design u put up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Maybe, I don't know yet.

Fair point about finding material that is easy sourced, to be honest im not sure if sheep or goat horn would be strong enough for the handle. But I would like to see somthing like it incorporated into handle. Nice bit of timber,bit sheep/goat horn and why not a bit of basking shark all made into a fine handle it would certinaly be unique. Would be a little different than deer anthler which seems to be used all around the world.
    As for this knife going into production this is unique project for davey and as he says on his website he can only make one knife at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    I agree with riflehunter, maybe a wooden handle like ash/oak tipped at the end with goat horn .

Have to say i find this thread really interseting, with everyone's opinion and different ideas , somehow I think davy has it all sorted .

Keep her going ....

Heres one tipped with buffalo horn , just bought it recently handmade by gary mills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    macadam wrote: »
    somehow I think davy has it all sorted

I wish ...

Ok I think blade profile is proving to be a bit of a speed bump at this stage so let's hold off on that for a while. There are some really good ideas ot there though and a drop point or a clip point knife is looking favourable.

So lets talk blade length what's the preference.

It should be long enough to dispatch and field dress but not so long as to become cumbersome or dangerous. Others have already discussed how butchering is usually done at home where other knives saws tools would be available.

If you can try to put both metric and imperial [mm/ins] and we will round off 25mm as 1" and 12mm as 1/2" hope this makes sense.

For example I'd like a 3 1/2" or 87mm Blade length

I 'll try to contact a Mod to do another Poll over the weekend.

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Fixed blade 38, Folding Knife 12 Fixed Blade Wins
    Full Tang 25, Hidden Tang 8 Full Tang Wins

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    So if we get new option for a pol, what are we looking at,

3"/75mm
    3.5"/87mm
    4"/100mm
    4.5"/112mm
    5"125mm

Should cover everyone,

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    That's the basic idea with a few more options either side.
    Hopefully will be up soon and I have asked that it be ended within 3 days as I think that's plenty of time.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    I suppose it's woth remembering that while blade length is not currently a legal issue it just might become one in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

There's a new poll up now. Let me know if any of ye have trouble voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

IRLConor wrote: »

The poll works fine, thanks IRLConor. The blade length should be easy enough to decide on. Most hunting knives I have owned are/were between four and six inches. For me the six inch blades are too long, Im not skilled enough with knives to be able to use a long blade without making a mess of things. What's I think is important to consider is the ratio of lenght to width. The ratio has to be just right for the knive to feel confortable when using. For a six inch blade Id buy nothing thicker than about 4mm and for a three inch knife I'd look for about 2mm. That just the range I feel comfortable using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

No
    I have been using a 6" blade but it is too long and now I am getting a 3.5" blade as it will be better suited to what I want, which is bunnies ;) as my name suggests

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    IRLConor wrote: »

Thanks for your help once again sir.

Davy

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    What's your favourite from these 6 options and why?

3.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

davymoore wrote: »
    Thanks for your help once again sir.

You're welcome, and no need to call me sir. :)

Unless I'm dressed like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Blade choice would be C 112mm max and blade thickness 3mm max thats what I would like and as BS said it would only be used on bunnies

I like the look of both B and F.

not really gone on any of them C is the best out of a bad lot.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Ok but lets say, If these 6 were the only choices in the world, you have to choose one.

Which one would it be and WHY that choice

I'm not saying that we are going to end up with any of the above. I am trying a different way of aproaching the blade style subject.
    There will be other blade styles over the next few days but at the moment concentrate ONLY on this 6

• Advertisement

where is every one going with blades more than 100mm .we dont live in texas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Knife A would be my choice - I always like the Bowie Knife look!

I'd pick B or F davy because of two things. Firstly I like the shape of the cutting edge on these blades. Secondly I like the choil on A, B and F, with the sharp edge ending without a shoulder as is the case on these blades I find it easier to sharpen them.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    we dont live in texas

Classic, well said, but there are still a fair few cowboys about

i have seen your work on your wed site and to be honest i like your designs.
    but to like a gun or knife you have to fondle it to love it .
    i know what i like and i like what i know .
    90mm is a lovely length 2 mm wide max ,going to a sharp point .
    if you know **** all about knife lads, dont mess this about as time money blood is involved and thats only davys.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    C for me like the shape and width..

As for cowboys about more like johnny rambo and big arnie :D

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Now I'm going to ramble on a bit so pay no real heed.....

So far ye seem to favour

A. Because of a preference to bowie styled blades
    B&F because of the ricasso shape and ease of sharpening
    C. Because JW wants to stab things :D (sorry mate)

As you will be aware the finished knife will have properties that should appeal to yourself but will also have to account for the tastes of others and will therefore no doubt lose some ground in certain aspects which appeal to you.

If I were building a knife for one individual this would be a much easier part of the proccess but trying to build for a group is like trying to herd spiders.

Having said that I think we are onto something already and if I'm correct this will be a righteous build.

I think what you guys want is a "Randall Knife" and why the hell not ! Randall Made Knives are among the hardest working and most sought after knives in the world some models can fetch up to $25,000 at auction just to be left sitting in a drawer and drooled over. There are even songs about them

If I could buy just one knife it would be a Randall Denmark Special but I probably couldn't justify the money (about a grand) because I would take it to the field and abuse the hell out of it that's just me. I've thought about doing a Randall Style build before but never did.

If I'm right here though, then we could have a knife just as stylish which incorporates every feature you have spoken about but at a fraction of the cost.

I'll post a few pics in a later post.

Of course you might hate the sight of them and then I'm just rambling ... Oh dear time to shut up now

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Randall Outdoorsman Knives
    outdoorsmen2-big.jpg

Randall Hunters

out_a-d.jpg

Randall Skinners

skinning-big.jpg

Photo 1- Model H and Photo 2- Models A or B really float my boat.

Oh! and if you are thinking of ordering one of these direct, heres a quote from the Randall website.
    *****Important--Please Read Before Ordering****** Current order deliveries are being scheduled for delivery in 58 MONTHS, year 2014. Randall order limit is a single knife every three months per household. Effective November 1, 2007

That's a five year waiting list. I suppose that's why they make so much money in auction.

See Here

Or Here

Or if you're really nuts

you must be a millionaire davy ,just hope tax man does not read boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Of the randel knives above, photo 2 knife A does it for me,

Just a question on blade length, will the length be decided by the single most votes, or an average of the top 2/3 choices.
    for example, say 4.5" is top on 20 votes, and 3.5" and 4" each have 19.
    The top answer is 4.5", but the weighted average would be just over 4", and this choice would be closer to the length wanted by most people

Advertisement