Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SOME PICTURES FROM THE SCLUMPH COLLECTION OF BUGATTIS

• 12-02-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

these are just some of the pictures i took way back in 1982 in the french national automobile museum ,it was the sclumph collectionIMG_0102-7.jpg,IMG_0105.jpg,IMG_0101-4.jpg,IMG_0046-5.jpg,IMG_0115-1.jpg,IMG_0106-4.jpg,IMG_0120.jpg,IMG_0127.jpg,IMG_0129-1.jpg,IMG_0130-2.jpg,IMG_0132.jpg,IMG_0143.jpg,IMG_0170-1.jpg,IMG_0173.jpg,IMG_0181.jpg,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Great pics!!Always liked the lines of these..
    IMG_0173.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭chevyv8

AND A FEW MORE PICTURES..IMG_0157-1.jpg,IMG_0142-3.jpg,IMG_0143.jpg,IMG_0092-7.jpg,IMG_0091-10.jpg,IMG_0089-4.jpg,IMG_0081-7.jpg,IMG_0133.jpg,IMG_0115-1.jpg,IMG_0077-7.jpg,IMG_0061-10.jpg.

Imagine the value of all that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭carlosfandango

Sweet holy mother of jeebus!

That is one incredible set of pictures you have there chevyV8.
    An excellent post!

CFD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Some great pictures there Liam.
    Its great that you got to see it so soon after it opened.

The museum has unfortunetly been somewhat modernised in recent years so its not exactly the way the Schlumpf brothers had intended it being seen!

• Advertisement

Sweet holy mother of jeebus!

That is one incredible set of pictures you have there chevyV8.
    An excellent post!

CFD
    and there is hundreds more but it would take forever to put up. i seen this collection way back in 82 /83. it was unbelievable then , whats it worth now. seen the bugatti royal in birmingham 2 yrs back , is it in private hands now , does anybody know .there was about 200 cars out back in that museum that had to go on display when i was there,there was 2 cars of irish reg on display in the museum when i was there, read the history of the collection and you will find it amazing. glad you liked the pictures.

there was 2 cars of irish reg on display in the museum when i was there
    Irish reg bugattis?

Imagine the value of all that!!
    how about millions upon millions upon millions, considering what one bugatti sold for over the weekend .....3.5 million for one car. how does that wreck your head trying to work out what that collection is worth.:D

chevyv8 wrote: »
    how about millions upon millions upon millions, considering what one bugatti sold for over the weekend .....3.5 million for one car. how does that wreck your head trying to work out what that collection is worth.:D
    You would want a good alarm,door bolts and insurance.:D
    Imagine ringing up trying to get a quote for garage insurance.."what have you?" "Oh about 100 million quids worth of cars..." "beeeeeeeep.....:p"

The 3 Royales from the Schlumpf collection still reside there in Mulhouse.

I think the one in the NEC was from the Sinnheim museum?

Ther were 5 of them on display at the Festival of Speed a few years back.

• Advertisement

Irish reg bugattis?
    no , not bugattis but other makes of motors.besides bugattis there were jaguars, mercs, daimlers, renaults, lotus, and names never heard off.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Man, that was some 'barn find' !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Irish reg bugattis?

I know of at least 1 Irish reg Bugatti, a T37A :D ...

we registered it in Ireland last year for a customer, but the car is kept in France... :(

There were at one stage several Irish registered Bugattis here.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Pagoda113

Great Pictures, nice to see some of the collection again. It is still an amazing museum and well worth a visit. I was there 3 years ago and I spent a full day there..

What Irish Registered car's were there ?

I was in the Mercedes Benz museum around the same time - 3 years ago and there was an Irish registered Benz (IO - 68). It was found in a bog in the midlands several years beforehand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Pagoda113 wrote: »
    Great Pictures, nice to see some of the collection again. It is still an amazing museum and well worth a visit. I was there 3 years ago and I spent a full day there..

What Irish Registered car's were there ?

I was in the Mercedes Benz museum around the same time - 3 years ago and there was an Irish registered Benz (IO - 68). It was found in a bog in the midlands several years beforehand..

.......yeah it was restored by Denis Dowdall for MDL and featured in the Club Gazette.

This photos are fantastic, not just because of the collection of cars, but the fact that the photos are now 27 years old or so and the collection hadn't really been seen by very many people.

Thanks for posting !

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Pagoda113

Photo's of IO 68. (2005)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cool pics, I remember the hullah when the place was discovered.......

what's just as interesting from the pics, is the size of the place.........and the number of 'gas lamps' used to adorn it. That'd have been a nice order for the builders :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

MercMad wrote: »
    ....not just because of the collection of cars, but the fact that the photos are now 27 years old or so and the collection hadn't really been seen by very many people.
    I thought the collection was confiscated around 1979 and sold and at that time the museum at molsheim was opened to the public, with the help of the French government. It has been open tot the public ever since, but has undergone a major upgrade/revamp around 2000. I would say, it is most definitely one of the museums you just have to go and see...

Re. Irish bugatti's, here's a few pics of the bugatti we registered last year. I must say, even though it;s of course not an original Irish Reg, it's wearing the ZV plate with pride :) and I genuinely feel privileged to have been involved with this car. The engineering, presence and sheer beauty of these cars is in one word mindblowing, I have no other words to describe it.

CIMG1004.JPG
    CIMG1001.JPG
    CIMG0984.JPG
    CIMG0978.JPG

One odd thing, brought us back to earth again, as we were amazed to discover that after registering the car, the VRO did not have 'Bugatti' listed in their database, basically showing that since 1987, no Bugatti's have ever been registered in Ireland, but strangely enough they didn't bother to add it to the database, and he is now the proud owner of a Make: "Unknown", Model T37A!!

Hey Paul, yes thats kinda the way I understood the museum to have "evolved".

I read a lot about the whole set up many years ago, all about the brothers and their activities both businesswise and regarding amassing their collection, legally and otherwise.

I also recall reading specifically about the purchase or a Bugatti from the US, how the brother wriggled and wrangled on the whole deal.

BTW did they only have to pay the €50 VRT ??

Lovely pictures BTW.

Oh and thanks for the piccies of IO 68 too !

• Advertisement

The collection never left Mulhouse.
    I was unaware of a Bugatti museum in Molsheim?
    It certainly wont have as many Bugatti as the Schlumpf collection!!

The collection was 'confiscated' from the Schlumpf brothers and sold for a ridiculously low price to the National Automobile Museum Association in '81.

Thats a nice 37A Paul, I presume most of it is 'new'.

CIMG0978.JPG
    That engine is nuts..looks like it was machined from a solid block!!

Id hate to guess the value of that car!

The collection never left Mulhouse.
    I was unaware of a Bugatti museum in Molsheim?
    It certainly wont have as many Bugatti as the Schlumpf collection!!.

My mistake, I meant of course "Mulhouse" :D , must have been a Freudian slip since Bugatti=Molsheim

Thats a nice 37A Paul, I presume most of it is 'new'.
    It was a total restoration ofcoure, but it is a genuine T37A with matching numbers and engine. Not one of those recreations based on an original bugatti wheelnut... around which they built a new car :D
    BTW did they only have to pay the €50 VRT ??
    Yep, only 50 euro's ... I guess '1928' sort of made it older than 30 years :D

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    Yep, only 50 euro's ... I guess '1928' sort of made it older than 30 years :D

....... yeah but I have heard that in certain cases they decide a car is of significant value/historically important etc.... that they will want a larger hunk of flesh !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I bought a book last year about the last Bugatti, the last French type 57 built before 1939, writtten by Barrie Price, the boss of Lea Francis cars. There are 2 photos of original Irish bugatti, a T57 (SZ reg) owned by Hugh Conway,registered in Northern Ireland, and a 2nd car Registered ZA xxxx owned by a Hugh McLellan. The car was used in the 1955 TT. Its original owner was a mr/ms Dwyer.

Advertisement