Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating Rent drop with Letting Agent

Options
  • 12-02-2009 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

Am starting the process of getting a new rental place.

A lot of places along the Luas that I am interesting seem appear on Daft in the 1300-1500 range and are spending a few weeks there before being let.

Has anyone any success stories of bargaining down these rent asking prices with a letting agent?

I have heard of success stories where tennants in place have got a rent reduction.

Anyone have any joy getting the price down whilst looking for a new place to rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I imagine it's fairly easy if, and only if, you're absolutely willing to move if the agent doesn't agree to the reduction.
    If you're not, and they sense that, they'll be reluctant to budge, and rightly so!

[edit]Oops, just realised you're not a sitting tenant already. Your case seems likely to be trickier. If possible, find out how long it's been advertised. the longer, the more wiggle room you have, and the easier it is to give them a 'bird in the hand....' speech :)[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

[edit]Oops, just realised you're not a sitting tenant already. Your case seems likely to be trickier. If possible, find out how long it's been advertised. the longer, the more wiggle room you have, and the easier it is to give them a 'bird in the hand....' speech :)[/edit][/QUOTE]

Precisely, not in a serious bind to move but if I got the right place within my budget I would snap it up.

I guess the trick is to religiously study daft and not the time the property appears up.

One month's rental void for a LL is a lot to be throwing away, but how many Irish LL's actually realise this and stick dogmatically to a price in their head?

If anyone has any success stories, please share, I am certain in this economic climate there must be someone who has had a reduction off the advertised price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

markf909 wrote: »
    One month's rental void for a LL is a lot to be throwing away, but how many Irish LL's actually realise this and stick dogmatically to a price in their head?
    Anecdotally; An awful lot of them :)
    If anyone has any success stories, please share, I am certain in this economic climate there must be someone who has had a reduction off the advertised price.
    I'm staying where I am for now, but I imagine your circumstances aren't unique, I'm actually a little surprised nobody else posted with some first-hand advice

Advertisement