Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Gray

• 13-02-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has he gone completely bonkers in the last few months. Check out this quote from his blog about Guus Hiddink.
    He did a respectable job for South Korea in 2002 - but then host nations generally rise to the occasion - and he did ok during his time with Australia.

But I thought Russia were pretty ordinary in the European Championships last year; they arrived in Austria & Switzerland with a huge reputation but in the end didn't deliver.

http://www.skysports.com/experts/expert_story/0,19793,12064_4915596,00.html

I mean, did he even watch those tournaments?! His constant criticisms of goalkeepers rather than applauding strikers for good goals really irks me too. Anyone else agree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Andy Gray is a very annoying pundit imo. Used to like him but in recent years he goes way ott in his analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

what russia were **** and then hiddink qualified them from a group including croatia and england and then got to the semi finals of euro 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Id be worried that you read this guys article and take it seriously. Gray couldnt tell the difference between a football and a fruit salad. An absolute waste of money. They guy is a yes man and its a pity he never went on RTE as they would take him down a peg or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

Ever since that West Ham v Liverpool FA Cup final, all I can hear when he talks is "TAKE A BOW SON, TAKE A BOW!" no matter what hes talking about!....greatest line ever from a commentator! His accent is also glorious so who cares if he is awful at his job! He can't be much worse than Brian Kerr on TV3 and Kenny Cunningham on RTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd like to say what I really think of him but I'd have to ban myself.

Let's just say he's up his own arse at this stage and he talks a load of shite.
    Ever since that West Ham v Liverpool FA Cup final, all I can hear when he talks is "TAKE A BOW SON, TAKE A BOW!" no matter what hes talking about!....greatest line ever from a commentator! His accent is also glorious so who cares if he is awful at his job! He can't be much worse than Brian Kerr on TV3 and Kenny Cunningham on RTE!

Rubbish. Great lines are the ones that are once offs. Gray uses that nearly every week. He even used it to describe a Joey Barton goal against Charlton ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Zatman wrote: »
    An absolute waste of money. They guy is a yes man and its a pity he never went on RTE as they would take him down a peg or two

you have listened to Dunphy and Giles recently yeah?They are no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Andy gray is a muppet. Whats new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

raven136 wrote: »
    you have listened to Dunphy and Giles recently yeah?They are no better.

Dunphy can't stop talking crap and Giles, god bless him, just refers to every player on the continent as "That young lad".

As for Andy Gray, he's not the worst. Not great either. His points about Hiddink are completely valid. Let's analyze his career:

PSV: Won the Champions League drawing the last 5 games before the final which he won on penalties after a goalless draw.

Fenerbahce: Won nothing and was sacked after a year. Pretty poor considering that the league only has two teams.

Valencia: Spend three years there winning nothing.

Dutch National Team: Failed to win anything in France 98 despite have the best team in the competition.

Real Madrid: Only won the Intercontinental Cup and was sacked after a season.

South Korea: Impressive semi final position in the World Cup. Not so impressive when you consider that there was some very dodgey decisions gone in favour of the co-hosts.

PSV: Three league titles. Can't really fault him there, but competition do they have in that league because Ajax are fallen giants.

Australia: Got them to the World Cup beating Uruguay who they play practically every qualifying final. Got out of the group stage thanks to Graham Poll in a horrendous game that saw him make so many mistakes including booking a Croatian player 3 times.

Russia: Had a good team despite what people say. Was knocked out because his team failed to turn up against Spain. Spain didn't win that match because they played Russia off that pitch, they won because Russia allowed them to.

Look I think he's a good manager, but not the Saviour everybody seems to think he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I agree with Andy Gray here regarding Hiddink as his overall club record is abismal if you look at the amount of years he has managed clubs compared to what he has won. PSV Champions league aside were they were pretty pathetic in fairness then he has done F ALL ! PSV winning a dutch league is nothing of merit. Thats just like winning a SPL with Rangers or Celtic, its expected ! Very poor club record lads. On the International side of things he seems to be well suited to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sky give me the option of hearing just the crowd so I never have to listen to him. I hate him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

What annoys me is his constant criticism of zonal marking. Everytime a goal is conceded from it he spends his last word programme telling everyone how it doesn't work and telling everyone how crap it is. England conceded a goal from man marking during the week, is he going to spend a half hour this week tearing that system apart? I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If Andy Gray is a tatical genius like Sky Sports try to make out, why has he not been a manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

If Andy Gray is a tatical genius like Sky Sports try to make out, why has he not been a manager?

Everton were after him before Moyes, but Sky upped the wages so stayed. Everton dodged a major bullit there. Can't stand him for his major bias towards all things brilliant in the premier league even when the game is shte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My thoughts in ' ' when Andy Gray commentates on a game.

Says someting obvious 'Yeah, agree'
    Then attempts something a little more insightful 'WAT'
    Then attempts something a little more insightful 'WAT'

The the final whistle blows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This will make you sick, for Sky, and Sky alone, he earns £20,000 a week. That's roughly a million a year. He also earns money by doing commentary in FIFA games.

I don't like John Motson either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think John Motson is the worst commentator on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

faulk28 wrote: »
    What annoys me is his constant criticism of zonal marking. Everytime a goal is conceded from it he spends his last word programme telling everyone how it doesn't work and telling everyone how crap it is. England conceded a goal from man marking during the week, is he going to spend a half hour this week tearing that system apart? I don't think so.

Liverpool fan by any chance? ;)

Overall I think Andy Gray is alright... He can be quite annoying at times, that is for sure and lets his ego get the better of himself on occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Mossy Monk wrote: »

boooooooooooo!

Motty is a legend. Best commentator out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Check out Don Goodman on Big League Weekend lads, VERY under-rated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

IvySlayer wrote: »
    This will make you sick, for Sky, and Sky alone, he earns £20,000 a week. That's roughly a million a year.

I'm so glad I cancelled Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Motson is without a doubt the worse commentator on TV. He is annoying and he hardly knows where he is nevermind whats going down on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Motty is a legend. But he's terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Conniffe doesnt need this bullsh!t, apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

Liverpool fan by any chance? ;)

Overall I think Andy Gray is alright... He can be quite annoying at times, that is for sure and lets his ego get the better of himself on occasion.
    Yep, and proud of it. Still think it's a valid point. Why does he not spend as much time covering man marking failings???
    I think he's mostly alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Motson is completely USELESS! A typical Mottyisum if the scoreline is nil all:

*Chelsea pass the ball in the centre circle*

Motson: OH AND HERE'S DROG-BARRR TO MAKE IT 3-1 TO THE BLUES, CAN HE SHOOT MARK? CAN HE?! HE IS YOU KN-....oh wait drogbarrrrs only hit it out for a throw in mark.

Lawrenson: *insert unfunny comment*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Mossy Monk wrote: »

Oh my God yes. He irritates me no end.
    The way he shouts Gerrard expecting him to burst the net anytime he gets the bloody ball within 35 yards of the goal wrecks my head. All the English commentators do it but with his voice it makes me want to melt my ears with acid until I hear no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

deise59 wrote: »

Motson: OH AND HERE'S DROG-BARRR TO MAKE IT 3-1 TO THE BLUES, CAN HE SHOOT MARK? CAN HE?! HE IS YOU KN-....oh wait drogbarrrrs only hit it out for a throw in mark.

Or:

Motson: The cross comes in for Wayne Rooneeeeyyy! Ohhhh.....how unlucky was Wayne Rooney there? I fancied him there Mark
    Lawrenson: I'm sure you did John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

deise59 wrote: »

hahha spot on, a tosser of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Why doesn't Martin Tyler tell him that it's Bosingwa. BOSINGWA, not Boswinga. Drives me mad!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Was a fan of andy gray for years, but over the last two or so years iv built up a fair bit of hate for him. He just seems to be talking nothing but utter sh1te lately as for the last word on sunday evening, dont get me started he is very biased towards certain teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oh my God yes. He irritates me no end.
    The way he shouts Gerrard expecting him to burst the net anytime he gets the bloody ball within 35 yards of the goal wrecks my head. All the English commentators do it but with his voice it makes me want to melt my ears with acid until I hear no more.

Eh!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ever since that West Ham v Liverpool FA Cup final, all I can hear when he talks is "TICK-A-BOO SON, TICK-A-BOO!" no matter what hes talking about!....greatest line ever from a commentator! His accent is also glorious so who cares if he is awful at his job! He can't be much worse than Brian Kerr on TV3 and Kenny Cunningham on RTE!

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Why doesn't Martin Tyler tell him that it's Bosingwa. BOSINGWA, not Boswinga. Drives me mad!!!

He did, iirc. During the United-Chelsea game. Tyler told him on air how its meant to be pronounced, Gray took it seriously and said that's what he's been saying, Tyler nervously laughed and got on with the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Andy Gray has been talking out of his arse for years. i thought most people had figured that out by now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

He is so obviously infatuated with Steven Gerrard too. Doesn't even try to hide it. He adores Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He always sounds like hes letting a big free on the jacks

Yessss!

Nobody compares to this guy.

guillembalaguerevista_579265.jpg

Guillem, you are a god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I hate the way he asks retorical questions but still expects a reply. "You tell me how thats not a free.... tell me"

And the liverpool chelsea game there a couple of weeks back he was asking the ref they had in studio questions about mike Reilly decisions as if he should have a telepathic connection with each other because they both did they same job once upon a time

"What was going through the mike's head here?" (How the hell is he ment to know Andy?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

is it just me or has andy gray been very sharp and cutting to richard keys lately.keys would say something then gray will snap back illustrating how wrong he is,making little of keys(who doesnt know enough to know nothing by the way).
    andy gray is a self righteous prick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Nobody compares to this guy.

guillembalaguerevista_579265.jpg

Guillem, you are a god!

I'm disappointed god is someone who spouts rubbish about transfers every few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Andy Gray is pure mule!talks garbage hes just part of the whole corporate bs that skysports are spoutin..he loves hypin up players especially ronaldo,he over analysis everything, over critical of referees.to sum him up he is S.H.I.T.E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Unearthly wrote: »
    I'm disappointed god is someone who spouts rubbish about transfers every few weeks

yea he does talk alot of gossip transfer etc, but i find him refreshing, knows what hes talkin about unlike Andy Gray who talks 70% nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mod note

Guys, can you please moderate your own language a little, outright abuse of Andy Gray is still a breach of the charter and could be subject to an infraction or worse.

This isn't aimed at any particular poster, just a general note. Any questions you have re. this please forward via PM to me.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭JoeA3

His big stare into the camera every few seconds after he's said something "profound" drives me nuts!

Also, the Last Word program seems to be an excuse for him to show off his latest bling bling watch :pac: Agree with the point someone above made about him harassing their guest ex-ref pundit (Gallagher?)... The poor guy does his best to sit on the fence but Andy's having none of it!

Unearthly wrote: »

Example please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

themont85 wrote: »
    haha :D

He's quite biased against Man United too. Never gives us an inch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Slightly Ot . . Jamie redknapp the guys name is BOSINGWA. . . Not BoSWINGwa

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

redout wrote: »
    I agree with Andy Gray here regarding Hiddink as his overall club record is abismal if you look at the amount of years he has managed clubs compared to what he has won. PSV Champions league aside were they were pretty pathetic in fairness then he has done F ALL ! PSV winning a dutch league is nothing of merit. Thats just like winning a SPL with Rangers or Celtic, its expected ! Very poor club record lads. On the International side of things he seems to be well suited to it.

that's the trouble, Scolari was a good international manager too, very questionable club manager imo. I really didn't like him..

Oh yeah, mispronounciations:

Alex - Alek (to which Martin Tyler replied "Well Andy, I know in Scotland Alex is pronounced Alek, but in Brazil I think it's 'Alex')
    Silvestre - Silvestt (Jesus that annoys me, maybe I'm wrong, but I've always said Sil-Ves-Tra)
    and the Bosingwa one as already mentioned.
    Countless others but I can't think of them atm

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

just coz I feel like it...

Richard Keyes - Idiot, moron. Knows nothing about football

Andy Gray - Not his biggest fan, not his biggest critic, but in general I think he's okay. Does know more about football than most other people

Jamie Redknapp - I'd say I'll be in the minority but I actually like him. Is a little too lenient sometimes (doesn't want to offend anyone), but on the whole I think he is pretty good.

Martin Tyler - Great. Does his job well.

John Motson - Hate him. Loves stating the obvious in a profound sorta way. "Well...it looks like...yes he is...yes..the substitute is coming on...and...the player makes way for him"
    "We have quite a tight game here tonight" (at 0-0 with neither side having a shot on target and 90% of the possesion being in the middle of the park)

Mark Lawrenson - Pretty crap commentator (do TV3 still CL games with him and Packie Bonner anymore btw?)

Bill O'Herlihy - lol, gotta love Bill. Himself, Giles, Brady and Dunphy have an unrivalled chemistry. Even though, individually, they may be talking s.hit, I would happily watch the 4 of them forever.

John Giles - Doesn't really understand football properly. Seems to focus on things and just repeat them. Very little knoweledge of foreign (and often domestic) players. Just not a great pundit overall.

Liam Brady - Pretty good, I like him. Knows what he's talking about and is usually quite fair. Will miss him from the panel.

Graeme Souness - What an idiot tosser. Has no idea about anything. Doesn't know anything about football, managers, players, tactics, formations, teams.. Like, just one example of a million is this (says this about November '08 I'd say)...
    "Well, Arsenal will be a strong when they have a full team again. They're missing alot of players, Van Persie, Rosicky, Hleb, when these players are fit again, Arsenal will have a very strong team"
    Come on, that's a joke. And he knows nothing about football!! Seriously, he doesn't know what he's talking about!! Surely being a failure as a manager is a sign that you don't really know what you're on about!

Eamonn Dunphy - Actually understands football despite what people say. If Souness or Giles says some piece of shit like they usually do, Dunphy will actually confront them and ask them to explain their point (which they usually can't back up with a decent reason). He is honest but plays to the controversial image alot. Bias towards towards Roy Keane and prejudice against Ronaldo, but other than that, reasonably fair.

George Hamilton - Good

Jimmy Magee - Obviously a legend

The RTE reserves are grand too. Kenny Cunningham, Ronnie Whelan, Darragh Moloney and Peter Collins are all fine, can't complain too much about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Jam-Fly wrote: »

Graeme Souness - What an idiot tosser. Has no idea about anything. Doesn't know anything about football, managers, players, tactics, formations, teams..

Are you for real ?

As a Player

Tottenham Hotspur Middlesbrough Liverpool Sampdoria As a manager

Rangers Liverpool Galatasaray Benfica Blackburn Rovers

• Advertisement
Advertisement