Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

S.I.R wrote: »
    how do you improve after hours: host a stand up comedy night, let the boys from AH strech their comedy muscles - not so funny now boys...

would get more traffic in here before ( the run upto ) and after... making it more fun for all
    What's your point there?
    That's we don't all have the writing talents of Damon Albarn?

I think that's a given. Otherwise we'd all be famous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Terry wrote: »
    What's your point there?
    That's we don't all have the writing talents of Damon Albarn?

I think that's a given. Otherwise we'd all be famous.

my point is that we have a pint and laugh at everyone's lack of talent, something we can all enjoy, hopefully rejuvenating Ah to its once Greatness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

S.I.R wrote: »
    my point is that we have a pint and laugh at everyone's lack of talent, something we can all enjoy, hopefully rejuvenating Ah to its once Greatness
    There's a stand up forum. I think Orestes hosts an open mic night or something. Sure you could try and organise a beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Scien wrote: »
    Thats not the point.
    You don't see Dublin threads remaining in AH, or Soccer related etc etc.
    Religious/Athiesm threads should be treated the same.

I dont see why i should be subjected to either sides drivel in one of my favourite forums.

All of them get heated/insulting imo.
    I suppose a devout catholic could get as annoyed about a Pope-banning-condoms thread as much as I don't like what I hear in most yankee-shootup threads.

But once you move all the american news threads to NA, move all the Stealing-Parking-Spaces threads over to motors, and just keep going like that, what do you have left? A bunch of silly Do you have stairs threads (DIY) or a bunch of other polls which should otherwise find themselves in the sys>census forum.

Gotta leave me something to read..

Its all just pub talk. Like if you took the BGRH bar or the Nocturnal Lair and turned it into a forum, its just organised banter in a more casual setting than you would find in the specific forums. Its like having a conversation about religion in a pub, rather than a conversation about religion in a church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Kold wrote: »
    There's a stand up forum. I think Orestes hosts an open mic night or something. Sure you could try and organise a beers.

hmmm might just do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

can we get a thumbs down thing? sort of like a that was a **** post thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

How would you guys feel about an After Hours access request forum?

Is it OK to ask that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

GuanYin wrote: »
    How would you guys feel about an After Hours access request forum?

Is it OK to ask that yet?
    And make AH even more cliquey. No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Go back in time about 6 or 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Go back in time about 7 or 8 years.

That's helpful.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/f-7.html

The thumbs down button will not be used. It was rejected in feedback several times.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/f-7.html

The thumbs down button will not be used. It was rejected in feedback several times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I read a comment a little while ago which stated that After Hours was supposed to be like a cross section of the Irish population - kind of like if you got a big bunch of random people in a room and left them to chat between themselves. I like this annalogy - I think that this is what it 'should' be like. In reality its more like a bunch of teenagers bickering and messing about, along with a few bored adults pretending to acting be teenages. A move back towards the former is what I would like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Zascar wrote: »
    I read a comment a little while ago which stated that After Hours was supposed to be like a cross section of the Irish population -

No wonder it's full of self righteous arseholes, idiots, people with serious ego problems, alcoholics and braindead keyboard drooling muppets. If it's a cross section of society, and that's society....

And please note, I include myself in that above statement.

AH is a Cross section of Irish society alright.... Irish society sucks. Why else do I avoid people?

Zascar wrote: »
    I read a comment a little while ago which stated that After Hours was supposed to be like a cross section of the Irish population - kind of like if you got a big bunch of random people in a room and left them to chat between themselves. I like this annalogy - I think that this is what it 'should' be like. In reality its more like a bunch of teenagers bickering and messing about, along with a few bored adults pretending to acting be teenages. A move back towards the former is what I would like to see.
    How do you suggest we implement that move?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Banning people like me would probably help...:o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok I'd suggest the following:

Boards.ie is a discussion board. Lets make decent intelligent discussion the primary objective. I know the 'Your Ma's' are rare these days which is great, but most threads in After Hours go off topic way to quickly, and rarely get properly back on topic. I notice that very often, when a person posts in AH with a decent discussion topic, the direction of the thread is determined by the first reply. If it is some smart comment, bye bye thread. if it is a decent interesting reply, of more than just a few words it stands more of a chance - until the messing starts

Far too many people are just throwing in a few words to either increase postcount, say something smart/funny and get a 'thanks' - but just not enough people really actually contribute positively to the topic in hand.

Now I know AH is a special type of forum, and people will generally say "If you want a serious discussion, there is usually another forum that will be suitable". Yes that may be often the case, but lets face it some of them may get almost no traffic. We have the Thunderdome for silly stuff, why not keep it contained there? Put an emphasis on 'positive contribution' and 'decent discussion' to the thread - try to keep them on topic, and more visible modding.

Sometimes someone posts a light hearted story or rant that is totally suited to silly comments and messing etc - and this is absolutely fine if it is appropriate - kind of thing that people will say AH is all about. However way to often someone posts a decent topic for proper discussion - but still it just falls into a ses pit of stupidity... I'd like to see this frowned upon.

If it were up to me, I'd leave AH solely for random rants, funny stories and light hearted banter etc (cause lets face it changing is would be almost impossible) - but what i do think we need is to create a new sub forum. A forum for "General Discussion" that is not necessarily suited to any of the more serious forums - but decent debate of a more grown up nature.

I think Humanities was originally meant for this, but imo it did not quite work. Politics and Economics are just to serious - we need something in between. I previously mentioned that maybe even a "Current Events" forum would be appropriate - cause lets face it AH seems to be the place where topics are posted around things happening in the news, and stuff happening in Ireland and the world etc - its these topics that suffer most in AH by getting unnecessarily diluted.

I think that way to often people are just 'scared of change'. These days things are different and change happens often and fast - we need to shift more towards a culture of giving change a chance. Cult has made some really great changes in Boards I think recently, but they are quite small. This website has never had a real shake up. Changing after hours could be what it needs for a bit of a refresh.

That's my opinion anyway :)

That's a great post and is definitely something we will consider when drafting the new charter.
    I do agree with the thing about thanks whoring and that's also something we will be looking into.

I'm not too sure about another sub forum though. I'm not saying it won't happen. Just that it could be a bit messy.
    It will be discussed though.

Thanks - glad I'm not alone in my ideas!

Actually one thing I saw a while back was someone posted in AH and had the first paragraph along the lines of "This is a serious topic - I want serious replies - anyone thinking of making smart comments or jokes - PFO. It worked.

Something to think about though, some sort of way to let people know what type of thread you intend it to be..

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I dunno if it has been mentioned, but some sort of indicator for posts that are a couple of years old... I hate when people drag a post up from the Abyss... and you proceed to comment on it only to realise its a topic from 2004... Maybe different colour topic or some sort of indicator beside the topic or new posts!

• Advertisement

flynner13 wrote: »
    I dunno if it has been mentioned, but some sort of indicator for posts that are a couple of years old... I hate when people drag a post up from the Abyss... and you proceed to comment on it only to realise its a topic from 2004... Maybe different colour topic or some sort of indicator beside the topic or new posts!
    That would be something for Ross to sort out.
    Post in the development forum. Something might come out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Re: whorin for a thanx - Remove AH from the post of the day or have yis er own post of the day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Re: whorin for a thanx - Remove AH from the post of the day or have yis er own post of the day.

I could compile a list of AH posts of the day. Been meaning to but stuck on how to display the list. I don't want another sticky and it will probably lead to yet more thanks whoring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Put a thumbs down button on the posts. Like a "Thanks" but the opposite.

Wonder how well that'd go down?

Fago_25 wrote: »

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Lol....are you serious?

Lol....are you serious?

Ha, yeah. Why not. If people can be thanked for a post, then they can be un-thanked don't you think? Even put it in as a trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Ha, yeah. Why not. If people can be thanked for a post, then they can be un-thanked don't you think? Even put it in as a trial?

They can be unthanked. :pac:

The system you're talking about is like Rep or Karma. They've been tried and they failed. I don't see any point in trialling them again. Anyway that's a sitewide issue and not an AH specific one.

Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Plan_D

It would go down as well as the Reputation system did.

It was fun watching people break it though.

Advertisement