Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

well I don't think we should have the stupid thumb up if we can't have a thumbs down

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That might be a good idea.

The thing about the Thumbs Up is it stops all the "+1" and LOL or :D etc
    Well, most of them anyway

yeah it did stop the +1s but now we have thanks whores. which is worse?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That's a potential 10 page AH post title right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

The thumbs down option would be the worse in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Would you like to see your name beside a thumbs down option, in the same way it's displayed when you thank a post?

Do you think the people you give the thumbs down to are going to be happy that you gave them a thumbs down?
    What do you think will happen then?

Anyway, it's not going to happen. I repeat, it is not going to happen.

I wouldn't really care tbh. but if your post was **** you probably deserve it. well if we can't have a thumbs down the thumbs up needs to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Zascar wrote: »
    That's a potential 10 page AH post title right there

Hmmm, that gives me an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I wouldn't really care tbh. but if your post was **** you probably deserve it. well if we can't have a thumbs down the thumbs up needs to go

A thumbs down button would only cause aggravation on a thread.

If someone thanks a post,the op knows in general why it was thanked.

If someone gives the thumbs down a poster is more likely to question why.

Thus petty shots back and forth and thread derailed.
    Only my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That's exactly what would happen, and while thanks by it's nature is generally positive (despite the attempts of some hur-hur groups and attention whores to make it otherwise), negative karma, rep or whatever would bring all the little micro-cliques out of the woodwork and result in bitchiness and in-fighting, all for a little warm glow one may or may not get from negging someone.

And believe me, like the Lord High Executioner, I've got a little list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Can we ban dole threads?

I'm sick of the same threads about the dole, which feature mr boards noob who likes to state "get a job op. There is loads out there". Then it turns into debate on whether there is jobs, based on hearsay and then ends with a list for the op to organize their day with. Really depressing threads.

Is there a recession forum we can move them to?

I agree. after hours is dying with this recession threads, they're too serious and stupid at the same time and not funny.

Can we ban dole threads?

I'm sick of the same threads about the dole, which feature mr boards noob who likes to state "get a job op. There is loads out there". Then it turns into debate on whether there is jobs, based on hearsay and then ends with a list for the op to organize their day with. Really depressing threads.

I agree. after hours is dying with this recession threads, they're too serious and stupid at the same time and not funny.

Topic of the week.
    Last week it was the budget.
    Next week it'll be horny nuns or something.

Start your own threads about horny nuns or whatever takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can we ban dole threads?

There's an Irish economy board over on politics. Don't know if the politics mods would be too happy though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Terry wrote: »
    Next week it'll be horny nuns or something.

I certainly hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Topic of the week.

I think in the current economic climate it might be an idea to have a Dole forum... ? You know a chat place for people to sympathise, offer advice etc and none of the "get off your arses and look for a job then!!" type stuff.

If AH is becoming too juvenile then hows about dividing it into subforums, one for serious talk and the other for pub style chatter where threads can wander off topic?

I once considered the idea of having a message board that just had the one thread, just to see how it went.

I didn't bother tho' and have proper forums, but we never stay on topic anywhere. Actually I ban people for trying to keep threads on topic :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It always seems to me that when people want more from a forum the end product is "We should divide it into subforums!"
    I don't think that that would be beneficial in our case.
    AH is the everything forum. That's why it's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

It always seems to me that when people want more from a forum the end product is "We should divide it into subforums!"
    I don't think that that would be beneficial in our case.
    AH is the everything forum. That's why it's here.

I agree with this. Subdivision would just lead to a few more threads with a small amount of threads....which would get fewer and fewer over time.

I think in the current economic climate it might be an idea to have a Dole forum... ? You know a chat place for people to sympathise, offer advice etc and none of the "get off your arses and look for a job then!!" type stuff.

If AH is becoming too juvenile then hows about dividing it into subforums, one for serious talk and the other for pub style chatter where threads can wander off topic?

I once considered the idea of having a message board that just had the one thread, just to see how it went.

I didn't bother tho' and have proper forums, but we never stay on topic anywhere. Actually I ban people for trying to keep threads on topic :D
    Sorry, I meant to get back to you about this earlier.
    The State Benefits forum covers all things dole (excluding the usual stereotyping you see in AH).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'm pretty sure that would ruin everything AH stands for..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Would you like to see your name beside a thumbs down option, in the same way it's displayed when you thank a post?

Do you think the people you give the thumbs down to are going to be happy that you gave them a thumbs down?
    What do you think will happen then?

Anyway, it's not going to happen. I repeat, it is not going to happen.

The first thing I thought when I saw 'how could you improve ah' was a thumbsdown button.

1)When you disagree with a post you really itch for a thumbsdown button
    2) If people give a thumbsdown they should have to give a reason, to stop retaliation thumbsdown
    3) why not have a thumbs down, what problems could it cause? Why not give it a trial

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The first thing I thought when I saw 'how could you improve ah' was a thumbsdown button.

2) If people give a thumbsdown they should have to give a reason, to stop retaliation thumbsdown
    3) why not have a thumbs down, what problems could it cause? Why not give it a trial

It will never never never never never ever ever happen.
    Ever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There was similar systems in place before called karma and rep. With these systems you could give a post positive and negative karma/rep. This led to all sorts of issues and was more or less just a giant pain in the ass for the admins and was removed. So this was trialled before (well something very similar) and led to nothing but trouble.

There was similar systems in place before called karma and rep. With these systems you could give a post positive and negative karma/rep. This led to all sorts of issues and was more or less just a giant pain in the ass for the admins and was removed. So this was trialled before (well something very similar) and led to nothing but trouble.

Did their rep stay beside their user name? I can see how having a lasting negative reputation is not what anyone wants. But surely thats different to a temporary thumbs down?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No idea. I wasn't around for the karma or rep thing. All I know is that the admins ruled out a thumbs down option as it was too similar to rep/karma and would more than likely bring all the headaches that caused back.

No idea. I wasn't around for the karma or rep thing. All I know is that the admins ruled out a thumbs down option as it was too similar to rep/karma and would more than likely bring all the headaches that caused back.

just curious - how do you become a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Isn't that essentially the same as posting a reply anyways. If you've to give a reason, why not just post a reply?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Isn't that essentially the same as posting a reply anyways. If you've to give a reason, why not just post a reply?

maybe a reason only the mods see? like when you report posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

maybe a reason only the mods see? like when you report posts

Hi, why would you want to give a reason only the mods could see?

I think it would be overused at first and difficult for Mod's to keep track of all those reasons.

Advertisement