Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

just curious - how do you become a mod?
    Normally a person is asked to be a mod if they are active in a forum and are constantly helpful.

In AH we just have a thread, people throw their names in the hat and then we just pick one at random and see how it goes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Terry wrote: »
    Normally a person is asked to be a mod if they are active in a forum and are constantly helpful.

That's my chances ****ed then.:D

In AH we just have a thread, people throw their names in the hat and then we just pick one at random and see how it goes from there.

Why not try the original greek idea of democracy, everyone takes turns and gets a chance to mod for a day or so!

We'll definitely see some interesting modding! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why not try the original greek idea of democracy, everyone takes turns and gets a chance to mod for a day or so!

OMG, no way, the Greeks invented gays, etc :D

Although, I have been subtlely dropping hints about modships for some time now...

More seriously, these teacher-related threads are looking like turning nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You mean I was a random choice :mad:

*sniff*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Private Dancer

I think the mods should be stricter on useless threads

For example:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055547383

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Absolutely. But not just the completely pointless threads, there are just too many totally pointless replies that do not add to the thread in any positive way - or even make any sense! People do this to amuse themselves, but cause they get away with it, they keep doing it and then their mates join in for fun too.

This should be strictly restricted to the thunderdome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Private Dancer

Zascar wrote: »
    Absolutely. But not just the completely pointless threads, there are just too many totally pointless replies that do not add to the thread in any positive way - or even make any sense! People do this to amuse themselves, but cause they get away with it, they keep doing it and then their mates join in for fun too.

I must say i'm guilty of the relpies but that's only because I see it so often here I just think it's the way of the forum

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You are right - it is!

it's just my two cents but I don't think that is a good thing. And if it were up to me I'd act to discourage it.

It's because it goes on so much that everyone thinks its ok.

Viscous circle etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Please report this kind of stuff. It helps us shape policy. That "Why?" thread for instance wasn't reported. It's locked now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think the mods should be stricter on useless threads

For example:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055547383

Pointless, random threads like the one quoted are the reason that AH is so successful. I agree a forum with just these threads isn't what anyone wants, but they add nice breaks from the norm at random times. You don't have to participate but many people actually enjoy such threads as a change of pace.

Ah come off it. AH is like a pub, In one corner you have a couple of guys playing chess having a serious conversation about a current political topic, in the next corner you have a few more people just meeting up for a few drinks and discussing the general topics of the day. In another corner you might find a few people listening to the jukebox having a laugh and enjoying the banter.

Why can't AH be like this where all are welcome. If you want in stricter most of the topics covered have individual forums that will noly too happily provide a home for such serious, strictly moderated views.
    I must say i'm guilty of the relpies but that's only because I see it so often here I just think it's the way of the forum

Why do you feel the need to justify it by using peer pressure as an excuse?
    You are right - it is!

it's just my two cents but I don't think that is a good thing. And if it were up to me I'd act to discourage it.

It's because it goes on so much that everyone thinks its ok.

Why would you discourage people enjoying themselves? It goes on so much because people that use the forum enjoy being a part of such conversations. Not everyone in here is a wannabe schoolteacher, ready to scold at the first sign of a good time.

Viscous circle etc etc

Viscious? Thats a bit extreme isn't it?

Just to add. I am probably one of those people that you say needs to be moderated more. I enjoy coming into AH simply because of the wide variety and speed of topics available. No matter what mood I am in I am sure there is always a thread there to suit. If I'm in a giddy mood, I find a thread where there is a real easy going feel going on. There are serious threads when I feel the need to. Personally I prefer the easy going ones, but I don't try and get rid of the serious ones, because geting rid of either would ruin AH and everything it stands for. Learn to find what you like, and tolerate the others. A forum centered around such specific ideals will never be popular and thats why AH is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This one has me confused a little I'll have to admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

there are just too many totally pointless replies that do not add to the thread in any positive way - or even make any sense!

+1
    This ruins threads for other people and should be monitored more.

Plenty of threads come along which, after reading, I view as being totally pointless and idiotic.

The majority of the time I leave the thread without needlessly comment negatively.
    What's the point in posting "pointless thread"? how many threads in AH can validly claim to actually have a point.

A bit of witty slagging or some sharp put-down can add to the banter and put some life into a thread
    but pointless, negative posting adds nothing and is really annoying.

Christ. You should see the amount of crap that gets deleted.
    What's pointless to one person is gold to the next.

My sentiments exactly.
    Perhaps it would be possible to try to clampdown on the practice of thread-killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Quazzie wrote: »
    Pointless, random threads like the one quoted are the reason that AH is so successful. I agree a forum with just these threads isn't what anyone wants, but they add nice breaks from the norm at random times. You don't have to participate but many people actually enjoy such threads as a change of pace.

Ah come off it. AH is like a pub, In one corner you have a couple of guys playing chess having a serious conversation about a current political topic, in the next corner you have a few more people just meeting up for a few drinks and discussing the general topics of the day. In another corner you might find a few people listening to the jukebox having a laugh and enjoying the banter.

Why can't AH be like this where all are welcome. If you want in stricter most of the topics covered have individual forums that will noly too happily provide a home for such serious, strictly moderated views.

Quazzie wrote:
    Just to add. I am probably one of those people that you say needs to be moderated more. I enjoy coming into AH simply because of the wide variety and speed of topics available. No matter what mood I am in I am sure there is always a thread there to suit. If I'm in a giddy mood, I find a thread where there is a real easy going feel going on. There are serious threads when I feel the need to. Personally I prefer the easy going ones, but I don't try and get rid of the serious ones, because geting rid of either would ruin AH and everything it stands for. Learn to find what you like, and tolerate the others. A forum centered around such specific ideals will never be popular and thats why AH is.

Completely agree with the above. Half of it is infuriating, pointless or stupid but sure that's AH. If you don't like it, don't click or press go back!

Your thread on thalimide was class and it was let flow.

If another poster put it up, would it have lasted as long?

You get my subjective point, but some threads could be hilarious if let go a bit.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why lock the Why thread?

It serves no purpose to anybody, it's doing no harm to anybody except bringing the odd laugh?

Why lock it?

It serves no purpose. Surely ideal AH material?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

How to improve AH? Ban Kiera between the hours of 8pm Friday - 8pm Sunday. Win win tbh :D

Kiera wrote: »
    How to improve AH? Ban Kiera between the hours of 8pm Friday - 8pm Sunday. Win win tbh :D
    Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Kiera wrote: »

Feck, what would we look at then between those hours, those pics are priceless.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

galwayrush wrote: »
    Feck, what would we look at then between those hours, those pics are priceless.:D

What pics?

Aww I always miss the fun stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Cant believe you didnt see them gummy..

How about having 'Appeals Court' for posters who've been sent to Prison.

An appeal thread could be opened for an hour for prosecution
    and defence to be argued in.

Let their fate be decided by a jury of their peers (registered users).

It would obviously descend into farce but it would probably provided some entertainment.

The_Coon wrote: »
    How about having 'Appeals Court' for posters who've been sent to Prison.

An appeal thread could be opened for an hour for prosecution
    and defence to be argued in.

Let their fate be decided by a jury of their peers (registered users).

It would obviously descend into farce but it would probably provided some entertainment.

Yeah! have it open between 3&4AM on a Saturday morning, the Jury will be out! (of it) :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

K-9 wrote: »
    Your thread on thalimide was class and it was let flow.

If another poster put it up, would it have lasted as long?

You get my subjective point, but some threads could be hilarious if let go a bit.

Well that depends. In the stupid pointless threads if it gets some good enough replies then I generally let them run their course. If they just get a load of yore ma and ibtl type responses I put the thing out of it's misery and lock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

What about...

Instead of a 'Thanks' button, have both a thumbs up and thumbs down button (you can click/hover on the up or down to see who opted for either).

The thumbs up and down feature only applying to AH due to the amount of crap produced on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

What about...

Instead of a 'Thanks' button, have both a thumbs up and thumbs down button (you can click/hover on the up or down to see who opted for either).

The thumbs up and down feature only applying to AH due to the amount of crap produced on a daily basis.

Never ever ever. There will be no thumbs down option of any flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Because a thumbs down button would only lead to friction in a thread.

The thanks button works imo because you can see who agrees with your post.
    The people who don't thank it are not offending you as much as a thumbs down might.
    What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Because a thumbs down button would only lead to friction in a thread.

The thanks button works imo because you can see who agrees with your post.
    The people who don't thank it are not offending you as much as a thumbs down might.
    What do you think?
    The other trouble with a thumbs-down is that if Poster X annoys Poster Y to-day, chances are Y will "thumbs down" X's posts tomorrow and the next day as well, and X will retaliate, and then their pals will get in on the act, and before you can count to ten you're up to your neck in excrement.

Negative rep on sites is just asking for trouble, been seen again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ahmed.baher

And clam chowder Wednesday.
    Also, would it kill you guys to supply some cidona?
    More Sex'n'Drugs'n'Rock'n'Roll and a swapmart would be useful.
    The brollystand is looking a bit out of sorts and the shoe cupboard smells.
    Other than that first class, but some potpourri would brighten up the place.
    And I'm nut just saying this because I'm drunk.

Advertisement