Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sounds more like an idea for the Thunderdome.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The prevailing message of the thunderdome is one of peace and love.
    Now off back to your giving up smoking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Everybody in boards.ie seems to enjoy arguing with each other (true?). Why not set up a debating section? they can argue the subject for as long as they want but be valid in their argument and remain with some level of morals. Just a suggestion is all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

MORE WATER!!!!

But seriously more puns :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

A7X wrote: »
    MORE WATER!!!!

But seriously more puns :)
    Nooooooooo. We get our fill from Java and H. We dont need anymore, thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Kiera wrote: »
    Nooooooooo. We get our fill from Java and H. We dont need anymore, thank you very much!
    It's Friday afternoon.
    Want me to ban you again?

:)

Terry wrote: »
    It's Friday afternoon.
    Want me to ban you again?

:)
    Java already offered. Should be in the pub by 4.30 and bed by 9 so you might be safe tonight.

Java already offered. Should be in the pub by 4.30 and bed by 9 so you might be safe tonight.
    Yeah. That's not going to happen, is it?
    Bed by 9 I mean.

Yeah. That's not going to happen, is it?
    Bed by 9 I mean.
    Ok maybe 10 (probably 2am). I'm hoping the jagerbombs will knock me out so i wont be able to post :) Anyway, you saw from last week that banning me at the weekends doesnt improve AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

you saw from last week that banning me at the weekends doesnt improve AH.

Kiera's right. She should be banned for the rest of the week too, just to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Lads, could we do something about the puns. Seriously, a thread that could be interesting for debate/discussion, or even has actual humor potential, is often completely ruined by posters trying to out do each other in making puns.

Who finds puns funny, really? Besides pensioners and young children? One or two is grand, but come on, enough's enough. An example would be this thread about the pensioner getting nibbled on by mice...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055552797

I know somebody is going to respond to this with a pun and I will not appreciate that so - *shakes fist* - you have been warned. :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

+1 I think they should be banned - they almost always ruin a the chance of the thread contuniuing decent discussion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you ban puns you'll have to ban all humourous posts, if that's the direction you want to take After Hours.

-1 from me.

Acacia wrote: »
    I know somebody is going to respond to this with a pun and I will not appreciate that so - *shakes fist* - you have been warned.

Personally, I like puns and think they should stay. Some of them are quite good and pretty darn funny. Saying that, Acacia point. Perhaps they are a little saturated and overdone. I certainly can't see a solution, a vote would be too pollarising and could lead to discontent. A warning at the start of threads perhaps?

Warning! No Puns allowed!

Bit OTT isn't it?

Warning! No Puns allowed!

Bit OTT isn't it?

Actually, maybe it is. Well, I'm stumped.

I'm a fan of the puns so maybe I am biased.
    Welcome back BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

An File wrote: »
    If you ban puns you'll have to ban all humourous posts, if that's the direction you want to take After Hours.

-1 from me.

No, I think pun's are great - but only on funny threads. I don't appreciate them when someone posts a more serious topic - hoping for intelligent discussion. If the pun is appropriate and genuinely funny, then cool - but it just seems to me like no AH thread is immune from them at all.

Let the funny threads be funny! But keep the more serious threads on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Tbh if there was a rule or say a basic understanding at the start of a thread,that the OP did not want puns as it was a serious topic they wanted to discuss I would refrain.

Say for instance the yellow triangle or :mad: alongside the Thread Title to let posters know the OP wants a serious discussion.

I don't know if it would work but at least posters would be able to see what the OP wants.:pac:

Sometimes we get serious threads here on AH that maybe belong in better forums but the level of quality contribution is such that I am loathe to remove them. I'm frequently surprised by the ability of AHers to actually be mature from time to time.
    /sheds tear.
    We have in the past editted threads to only allow serious responses or changed the thread title to ask for only serious responses or asked on a particular thread to refrain from jokes.
    I was trying to think of ways to facilitate those posters who have an AH style topic but don't want it turning jokey. However I then realised that many lunatics want serious answers and deserve less. It's a tough nut to crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Personally I'd like to see an end to the lynch mob threads, its been done over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

An File wrote: »

-1 from me.
    You could look at it like that. Or you could look at it as refining the humour in this forum. I know a lot of the time I could do without seeing the utterly brainless and lazy puns, ever so often there's an amusing one. One out of every 50 is a crap ratio.

If someone keeps making sh*tty puns, their mates (should) make it be known that these sh*tty puns are irritating. It's natural but seeing as we can't just reply with "STFU & GTFO" there needs to be a way for some of us who don't love the facepalmers to voice our distaste. Or maybe not, I'm not sure if I care this much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

We're in danger of going down the road of free speech by committee, if some of the recent suggestions were to be entertained.

How do you legislate for less puns on an internet forum?

How do you put a rule in place to outlaw righteous indignation (in both a positive and negative sense) in relation to an emotive issue? Let people vent ffs, it's the only place on boards that they can.

I'm sh1t sick of people looking to the mods here to reduce the cowbell level on boards, or make the AH forum more to their liking. Newsflash guys, that's not why they're here, and I only wish that the rest of the boards empire mods did as good and as hands off a job as they do here on AH.

I mean, I'd love to ask the lads here to cull the posts of a certain individual who drives me up the wall with their illiterate inanity, but I don't have the right to do that. Nor do they have the right to act upon such a request.

Keep AH free<ish> ;)

Let the masses dictate the flow by guiding the thread, don't expect the mods to do it. Something like the lads at the corner table in the boozer telling Loud Larry to STFU, rather than moaning to the door staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Note: I'm not advocating back seat modding above. I'm sure most of you know what I mean.

Tbh if there was a rule or say a basic understanding at the start of a thread,that the OP did not want puns as it was a serious topic they wanted to discuss I would refrain.

Say for instance the yellow triangle or :mad: alongside the Thread Title to let posters know the OP wants a serious discussion.

I don't know if it would work but at least posters would be able to see what the OP wants.:pac:
    I don't think someone should have to point out that a thread is serious or not.
    The content should speak for itself.
    eg. Blind man is murdered for his watch.
    Pun: He didn't see that coming.

Is that really necessary?

Blind man arrested for soliciting prostitution.
    Pun: He didn't see that cumming.

Fair enough.

Turning every thread into a punfest is just annoying.
    Should it continue to happen, I'll bring back my alter ego. Nobody wants that.

Personally I'd like to see an end to the lynch mob threads, its been done over and over again.

Unfortunately that's not going to end.
    All we can do is counter the arguments with logic.
    One of the recent dole threads had people claiming that they know lots of people claiming the dole and working for cash.
    I asked why they had not availed of the reward programme, but nobody was able to reply.
    The reason they were not able to reply: They are just spouting crap they heard in the pub and have no proof.
    Kold wrote: »
    You could look at it like that. Or you could look at it as refining the humour in this forum. I know a lot of the time I could do without seeing the utterly brainless and lazy puns, ever so often there's an amusing one. One out of every 50 is a crap ratio.

If someone keeps making sh*tty puns, their mates (should) make it be known that these sh*tty puns are irritating. It's natural but seeing as we can't just reply with "STFU & GTFO" there needs to be a way for some of us who don't love the facepalmers to voice our distaste. Or maybe not, I'm not sure if I care this much...
    Here's a compromise.
    You can say GTFO if I can say STFU.
    How aboot that, eh?*

We're in danger of going down the road of free speech by committee, if some of the recent suggestions were to be entertained.

How do you put a rule in place to outlaw righteous indignation (in both a positive and negative sense) in relation to an emotive issue? Let people vent ffs, it's the only place on boards that they can.

I'm sh1t sick of people looking to the mods here to reduce the cowbell level on boards, or make the AH forum more to their liking. Newsflash guys, that's not why they're here, and I only wish that the rest of the boards empire mods did as good and as hands off a job as they do here on AH.

I mean, I'd love to ask the lads here to cull the posts of a certain individual who drives me up the wall with their illiterate inanity, but I don't have the right to do that. Nor do they have the right to act upon such a request.

Keep AH free<ish> ;)

Let the masses dictate the flow by guiding the thread, don't expect the mods to do it. Something like the lads at the corner table in the boozer telling Loud Larry to STFU, rather than moaning to the door staff.
    Well that's just it.
    We don't really control the input.
    We can't go into your house and tell you not to post something.
    We're just here to clean up the really crap stuff posted by others and take your suggestions into consideration.

We will not become /b/. In fact, the next person to post a meme from that hole will be permanently banned.
    If you want /b/, then go to /b/.
    This is boards.ie. Remember where you are. That includes the prince of Bel Air.

*in memory of our dear departed Monty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Keep AH free<ish> ;)

I'd have to agree with roundymooney here. When you start a thread, it's not your thread. The thread belongs to the forum it's in so the users there decide which direction it goes. The mods might step in to nudge back on track or try forcefully to bring it back on track if it deviates from the topic but I don't think the mods should decide if a topic stays serious or that this thread won't have puns in it. The users will decide that. Saying that, there has been a few occasions where I have insisted that threads stay serious but it is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I don't think someone should have to point out that a thread is serious or not.
    The content should speak for itself.
    eg. Blind man is murdered for his watch.
    Pun: He didn't see that coming.

It depends on the opening post.
    If there is a link to a sad story fair enough, if it's just "Blind man is murdered for his watch." with no content as to where the op is going with it people will rip it apart.
    Is that really necessary?
    It happens a lot.
    Blind man arrested for soliciting prostitution.
    Pun: He didn't see that cumming.
    I would never make it so obvious.

Fair enough.

Turning every thread into a punfest is just annoying.
    Should it continue to happen, I'll bring back my alter ego. Nobody wants that.

Tbh Terry, it's well known that you detest puns anyway so where would you draw the middle line?

• Advertisement

It depends on the opening post.
    If there is a link to a sad story fair enough, if it's just "Blind man is murdered for his watch." with no content as to where the op is going with it people will rip it apart.

It happens a lot.

I would never make it so obvious.

Tbh Terry, it's well known that you detest puns anyway so where would you draw the middle line?
    I don't detest puns.
    i dislike that some people feel the need to make a pun at the slightest opportunity.

Where do I draw the line?
    It's AH. Even those with 20/20 vision see a blur.

Advertisement