Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Terry wrote: »
    I don't detest puns.
    i dislike that some people feel the need to make a pun at the slightest opportunity.

So if you liked puns as opposed to not detesting them would you feel the same way?

I know I pun a lot and it is not for effect,as I do it all the time not just online, sure it can get on peoples nerves but it can also break tension and avoid nastiness irl.

Sometimes I can see people actually think about what they are going to say in my company because they know I can't help but pun if they say something that triggers one.

Looking at the tags here I can see you at least have a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No.

You only asked one question. The rest was speculation and other words that I can't think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Zascar wrote: »
    +1 I think they should be banned - they almost always ruin a the chance of the thread contuniuing decent discussion.
    An File wrote: »
    If you ban puns you'll have to ban all humourous posts, if that's the direction you want to take After Hours.

-1 from me.

Well, banning them altogether seems a bit harsh. Like I said, sometimes they're funny and one or two times in a thread is okay. But when it's just a case of people quoting each other, and making puns for two pages...well, frankly it's boring and more or less ruins the thread, imo.
    Personally, I like puns and think they should stay. Some of them are quite good and pretty darn funny. Saying that, Acacia point. Perhaps they are a little saturated and overdone. I certainly can't see a solution, a vote would be too pollarising and could lead to discontent. A warning at the start of threads perhaps?

Yeah, I see your point, as I said when they're over done it's a little annoying. One or two is grand.
    Warning! No Puns allowed!

Bit OTT isn't it?

Yeah, that's a bit strong.
    Zascar wrote: »
    No, I think pun's are great - but only on funny threads. I don't appreciate them when someone posts a more serious topic - hoping for intelligent discussion. If the pun is appropriate and genuinely funny, then cool - but it just seems to me like no AH thread is immune from them at all.

Let the funny threads be funny! But keep the more serious threads on track.

I agree, but sometimes the puns aren't all that funny even on funny threads. Like I said, they're just over done.
    Tbh if there was a rule or say a basic understanding at the start of a thread,that the OP did not want puns as it was a serious topic they wanted to discuss I would refrain.

Say for instance the yellow triangle or :mad: alongside the Thread Title to let posters know the OP wants a serious discussion.

I don't know if it would work but at least posters would be able to see what the OP wants.:pac:

Not a bad idea, Sharpy. :)
    Sometimes we get serious threads here on AH that maybe belong in better forums but the level of quality contribution is such that I am loathe to remove them. I'm frequently surprised by the ability of AHers to actually be mature from time to time.
    /sheds tear.
    We have in the past editted threads to only allow serious responses or changed the thread title to ask for only serious responses or asked on a particular thread to refrain from jokes.
    I was trying to think of ways to facilitate those posters who have an AH style topic but don't want it turning jokey. However I then realised that many lunatics want serious answers and deserve less. It's a tough nut to crack.

Well, it's not even about serious threads turning jokey, it's just annoying when all the jokes are puns.
    Kold wrote: »
    You could look at it like that. Or you could look at it as refining the humour in this forum. I know a lot of the time I could do without seeing the utterly brainless and lazy puns, ever so often there's an amusing one. One out of every 50 is a crap ratio.

If someone keeps making sh*tty puns, their mates (should) make it be known that these sh*tty puns are irritating. It's natural but seeing as we can't just reply with "STFU & GTFO" there needs to be a way for some of us who don't love the facepalmers to voice our distaste. Or maybe not, I'm not sure if I care this much...

Agreed.
    We're in danger of going down the road of free speech by committee, if some of the recent suggestions were to be entertained.

How do you legislate for less puns on an internet forum?

How do you put a rule in place to outlaw righteous indignation (in both a positive and negative sense) in relation to an emotive issue? Let people vent ffs, it's the only place on boards that they can.

I'm sh1t sick of people looking to the mods here to reduce the cowbell level on boards, or make the AH forum more to their liking. Newsflash guys, that's not why they're here, and I only wish that the rest of the boards empire mods did as good and as hands off a job as they do here on AH.

I mean, I'd love to ask the lads here to cull the posts of a certain individual who drives me up the wall with their illiterate inanity, but I don't have the right to do that. Nor do they have the right to act upon such a request.

Keep AH free<ish> ;)

Let the masses dictate the flow by guiding the thread, don't expect the mods to do it. Something like the lads at the corner table in the boozer telling Loud Larry to STFU, rather than moaning to the door staff.
    Note: I'm not advocating back seat modding above. I'm sure most of you know what I mean.

Eh, I'm not trying to do away with free speech or anything of the sort. Just voicing my opinion that the over-reliance of puns gets grating sometimes. I'm not looking for the mods to go banning people for using puns because I personally don't like them- I'm just using this thread to say how I think AH can be improved...which is the whole point of the thread.

It kinda seems like you are advocating back-seat modding though- if I were to go on to a thread where people have been making puns for three pages and say "These puns are so annoying- stop posting them!", rather than complain about it on this thread,- that would kind of be back-seat modding, would it not? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Acacia wrote: »
    It kinda seems like you are advocating back-seat modding though- if I were to go on to a thread where people have been making puns for three pages and say "These puns are so annoying- stop posting them!", rather than complain about it on this thread,- that would kind of be back-seat modding, would it not? :confused:

It can be done without back seat modding.
    Butcher killed when frozen cow cadaver falls on him

"That's an a-moo-sing story"

"Cud have been worse"

"I bet it was fresian in there"

"It must have fallen from some height. I guess you cud say the steaks were high."

"Can anyone think of an udder pun?"

"These puns are headwrecking. Why does this happen in nearly every thread?"<-Not back seat modding.

"Can we stop with the puns and get back on topic please?"<-Back seat modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I understand the Mods can't do anything about this so it's just a general gripe, but can we please have less Mary Harney jokes? Jesus christ, they're fúcking everywhere nowadays. We get it she's fat. Ho ho ho, let's move on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mary Harney may well be the new yore ma.
    In other news however, we're a lock for POTD.
    http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks
    In your face photography forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

In other news however, we're a lock for POTD.
    http://www.boards.ie/?filter=thanks
    In your face photography forum.
    Ooh. I'm in fourth place.

I've also made the leap from 8th to 5th on the overall list.
    It's funny that the ones at the top of the list rarely get post of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I got over 40 for a post today and i'm not even listed.:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

galwayrush wrote: »
    I got over 40 for a post today and i'm not even listed.:eek:

The post has to be posted in the last 24hours and some forums are excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

i am starting to see problems with afterhours and quite honestly I dont think its the network i think its the users, A typicl subject to me would be

John: So Folks who will you be voting for this year

Thomes: Hi john I will be voting F/F although they done bad I like there economic policy

John: But do you not feel thomas they handle the balance of trade very bad

You get my jist, a discussion

THis is commonly what happens

Thomes: Hi john I will be voting F/F although they done bad I like there economic policy

Anto: F/F What fcuking moran would vote f/f these days you fool

Thomas: Hi anto what is your main objection with them

Mick: If you need to ask mate your a gobsh1te with no brains

You see boards is slowly eating itself into crap. The only section proving any worth in mass is the PI section and I seriously wonder about some of these

• Advertisement

i am starting to see problems with afterhours and quite honestly I dont think its the network i think its the users, A typicl subject to me would be

You see boards is slowly eating itself into crap. The only section proving any worth in mass is the PI section and I seriously wonder about some of these

I think that you're misunderstanding the concept of AH, it's a safety valve for the less serious discussions that would not be tolerated on the other forums.

Your political example would have resulted in a ban for going thread spoiling in politics and a ban here for personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I understand the Mods can't do anything about this so it's just a general gripe, but can we please have less Mary Harney jokes? Jesus christ, they're fúcking everywhere nowadays. We get it she's fat. Ho ho ho, let's move on.

The jokes are everywhere because she's everywhere.

I think a more accurate comparison would be with Chuck Norris. Instead of being exagerratedly strong/wise she's fat. Very, very fat.

I think you misunderstand the role of After Hours here on boards. If you want to have a serious political discussion the politics forum is there. Many fine posters in there and the moderators do not give people the leeway to go too off topic. Read the charter of After Hours (seriously, im not being smart) and you may well understand a bit better what AH is here for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

@John, Tommy: You might find the Politics forum: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=99 more suitable for this kind of topic. Also check out the Irish Economy forum.

Mick and Anto banned for abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

we should have competitions but stupid ones with really crapy prise's like a toy match box car or something....

propper drinking competitions

hotties of boards competitions.... female only... obvously if they want to...

less polictics threads its just getting boreing at this stage..
    if some one get banned other members can be lawyers to the member and if they can come up with a fair case then they get unband... but more just an excuse to have fun...

hotties of boards competitions.... female only... obvously if they want to...

It's been done.

did'nt happen cause i was'nt a member then :P

did'nt happen cause i was'nt a member then :P

Ah yes, but you were a member then.

Ah yes, but you were a member then.

Not talking about most likeable, Im talking about most hotist female memeber who every one wants to bump hips with :pac:.....

• Advertisement

Not talking about most likeable, Im talking about most hotist female memeber who every one wants to bump hips with :pac:.....

It's not "likeable," it's "lickable." As in bumpin' hips, knockin' boots lickable.

The_Coon wrote: »
    Exactly, what sort of a lunatic rates women based on their personalities?

Anyway, AH has a bad reputation amongst the women on this site as a glorified boys club full of lecherous and virginal teenage boys posting with their trousers around their ankles.

As a Boards.ie Man of Honour, (Have you forgotten your pledges, men?) I must object this suggestion, though I do trust it will be vetoed at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm sh1t sick of people looking to the mods here to reduce the cowbell level on boards, or make the AH forum more to their liking.
    Thats absurd. You can never have enough cowbell.
    I'd have to agree with roundymooney here. When you start a thread, it's not your thread. The thread belongs to the forum it's in so the users there decide which direction it goes. The mods might step in to nudge back on track or try forcefully to bring it back on track if it deviates from the topic but I don't think the mods should decide if a topic stays serious or that this thread won't have puns in it. The users will decide that. Saying that, there has been a few occasions where I have insisted that threads stay serious but it is rare.
    I can think of a forum or two round the place that does this, setting thread-specific guidelines in the OP that if not followed can get a user banned.

Not my cuppa at all.

Not that it should stop an OP from asking for a certain level of decorum from respondents - its simply up to them if they want to respect the request or not. It shouldn't be binding. A sustainable signal to noise is all thats really required and that doesnt necessarily need moderation to do.
    Anyway, AH has a bad reputation amongst the women on this site as a glorified boys club full of lecherous and virginal teenage boys posting with their trousers around their ankles.
    You get plenty of wimmins posting here. Its pretty much the all-inclusive lounge isnt it? BGRH and TLL make up the Boys and Girls club.

As a Boards.ie Man of Honour, (Have you forgotten your pledges, men?) I must object this suggestion, though I do trust it will be vetoed at this early stage.

where not that bad ok right lets have a charity day to proove to the unapproving women of boards that afterhours can actuly do something right even if our trousers are around are ankles...

maybe who can make the sogyist biscit...
    Sperm donation days ( could go to use in sted of going down the toilet in a sogy klenex)
    Boba job day where we becoem man slaves for the female jackles that supress are manly instincts to not take anything serously.... and do jobs for the femnazis

Sperm donation days ( could go to use in sted of going down the toilet in a sogy klenex)
    I'd like to see something get properly organised on AH (even though I wouldnt be able to go to any of it). Whether it be a sperm drive or a Blood Drive or a Beers. The few failed attempts at organising protests just fell on deaf ears sadly. But I mean anyone can get down for a Blood Drive or a Beers.

Overheal wrote: »
    I'd like to see something get properly organised on AH (even though I wouldnt be able to go to any of it). Whether it be a sperm drive or a Blood Drive or a Beers. The few failed attempts at organising protests just fell on deaf ears sadly. But I mean anyone can get down for a Blood Drive or a Beers.

An AH beers you say?
    I can just imagine it now. 5000 banned people. All of them with knives and vodka.
    "Are you dr.bollocko?"
    "ummmm.... No?"

"Are you dr.bollocko?"
    "ummmm.... No?"

"Nooo...I'm....Terry! No wait, NOOOOOO!!!!"

An AH beers you say?
    I can just imagine it now. 5000 banned people. All of them with knives and vodka.
    "Are you dr.bollocko?"
    "ummmm.... No?"
    Well at least at that stage it doubles as a blood drive.

I can tell you right now buddy that nobody wants the blood in these veins!

• Advertisement

I can tell you right now buddy that nobody wants the blood in these veins!

I thought doctors were supposed to encourage blood donation?

Advertisement