Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Acacia wrote: »
    Yeah, well, anything to make it stop.:D Just make it stop!:pac:

Well , we could put her in a coma, and revive her when it is absolutely vital that she makes an appearance.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gatzby

well sticky, new to Boards.ie, lad in the PC store told me to log on, fed up with IP addresses, subnetmasks and gateways not all that technical minded but have to get get the "yoke" set up, read your comments, views etc. respect, respect, by the way I'm Gatzby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

:mad:
    Acacia wrote: »
    Yeah, well, anything to make it stop.:D Just make it stop!:pac:

I totally agree, they make me want to cover my eyes and close my laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Regarding the "yore ma" thing.
    We deal with them, like any other post on a case by case basis.
    Most of the lame ones are deleted. If someone wonders where their "yore ma" post has gone, then they really need some sort of help at this stage.

Repeat offenders will get an infraction as well as the post being deleted.
    Trolls will be banned. These things have already happened.

Everyone happy enough with that?
    Further suggestions are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Basically Terreth, it seems that common sense modding will prevail on AH, as it has been doing.

Personally, I think you guys are doing the best that can be expected. You'll never please everybody, but you're continuing with a democratic approach, which is the way to go.

User interaction ftw, basically :)

Basically Terreth, it seems that common sense modding will prevail on AH, as it has been doing.

Personally, I think you guys are doing the best that can be expected. You'll never please everybody, but you're continuing with a democratic approach, which is the way to go.

Well going back to when WWM was cmod, we discussed this and agreed that user interaction was indeed the best thing for AH.
    Sort of a forum for the people by the people.

It may seem that we (ok, mostly me) are a bit heavy handed at times, but sometimes we'll get a slew of people reporting one particular post and, when that happens, we tend to feel that the majority want this acted on.

There are also times when we have off days. We're only human after all.
    We also make mistakes.
    A recent feedback thread showed that Dr.Bollocko is capable of mistakes, but is also capable of seeing that he can make them and is big enough to admit to this flaw that we all have.

I will now take abuse for that self aggrandising post.

Right. The yore ma think seems to have been dealt with to most people's satisfaction.
    Is there anything else anyone wants to bring up?

Oh yeah, the image thing will probably never happen. If we had 20 mods spread around the world, then it would be possible, but 20 mods would be far too many and we'd end up stepping on each other's toes and it would just be too messy.
    I'd like to see it implemented myself, but there are just far too many jackasses out there who would ruin it for everyone else.
    Every thread would be like a bad feedback thread multiplied by 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Make GuanYin mod and sack the rest ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cheers. It's always nice to hear people say you're doing a good job. We try to keep as many as possible happy and hopefully we continue to do that. Javaboy and dr bollocko have gotten off to a good start, if after hours doesn't kill them or drive them nuts then they should be great mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Not sure how well this will go down but any chance of keeping the lisbon threads in the european politics forum?
    I find myself getting dragged into them if they're in view and it's the reason I keep myself out of that forum when I can. It just goes round in circles and your left banging your head against a wall but like anything you feel strongly about you still find yourself dropping back in to read replies, which of course boils the blood again and I loose ten more minutes of my life ranting a rant that no one will take in (much like this one I guess :D) and so on.
    Any other subjects tend to get redirected to their forum so I'm not suggesting something new here either.

• Advertisement

Well there is already that big one, but we'll either merge new ones or send them elsewhere.

The big one will stay put though.

Please report any new ones so that we can get them before they spiral out of control.

Help us to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I know, Im a fecker for not reporting things and yet whining about them :) Other than little things like that which I should really take the effort to report it AH is a great forum and I've never had any real problems in it.
    It's nice to have a forum where there's a little slack to keep things informal and fun (This is starting to sound like Im talking about a dating site :D). I do hope it never gets sterilised by the easily offended PC crowd. That doesn't happen and ya got one happy poster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Definately keep the thanks option.

Would it be viable to bring in a thumbs down option? Unhelpful unwanted posts?

Ban people that reply with "your ma!!!" It gets old and very very annoying after a while. Sometimes it is funny when it is in a sentence, when it is in a joke or whatever. The two words on it's own is just annoying.

When a mod want's to intervene in a discussion a bit of courtesy would be nice. Instead of "STFU" or "GTFO", a simple sentence with some thought involved would be nice. Other than that the modding is great.

*EDIT*

Lately some threads have been moved to their appropiate forum, sometimes it is good that they stay in AH, there is a huge footfall in AH and it is good to get a lot of views and comments. There are a lot of threads made that belong in the motor or film forum, but can they not stay here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would it be viable to bring in a thumbs down option? Unhelpful unwanted posts?

That's a site wide issue so it would be up to the admins not us. The admins have said before that it won't be happening though as it would be too similar to rep and karma which were removed as it was abused and caused a bucket load of hassle.

Instead of "STFU" or "GTFO", a simple sentence with some thought involved would be nice.

So instead of STFU or GTFO we say shut the **** up or get the **** out? I can live with that. :D I try and be courteous with any user I have dealings with. If it's a spammer or a user who was sitebanned and has re-regged then I have no problem being a dick to them simply because I don't think they deserve to be treated any better.

The more hassle someone is the less time I have for them. For someone who is always trolling, causing hassle and throwing out abuse I'd be less likely to care if they thought I was a little impolite when I was talking to them via pm about banning them.

Also text is horrible for getting tone across. If I post something that's a little blunt and to the point it could very easily mistaken for rudeness, twattyness etc and vice versa.

Ok.
    Scroll up or go back a page to see the stance being taken on the yore ma thing (I'm on 30 PPP).

The STFU thing is usually something I use and only use it when someone is being a complete dickhead or whe two people are bitching at each other.
    I'll take your suggestion on board though. I see where you're coming from and I do realise that it is quite obnoxious.

We do allow some threads that belong elsewhere to stay here, but only if they are really vague and we don't know where to put them.
    One that springs to mind was a recent one about favourite film and tv quotes.
    That slipped through the net because it couldn't be put in either the TV or movie forums.
    In saying that, there is still the rule that posting here for more traffic will get you a ban, so I would suggest that people not try to do that.

There is also a really strict rule on sports threads of any type.
    They tend to be potential mine fields, so we get rid of them as soon as we see them.

Terry wrote: »
    In saying that, there is still the rule that posting here for more traffic will get you a ban, so I would suggest that people not try to do that.

I would just also like to say that starting a thread here that belongs in another forum because you are banned from said forum isn't a good idea either.

And to add to that, we can tell if you are banned, so you won't actually get away with it.

Yea seen the "your ma" thing there, I didn't read the whole thread as it is damned long.

Instead of STFU, something a long the lines of "Guys/girls, stop the bickering it is an eyesore, considerate this a warning". STFU isn't very clear to anyone but the one posting it.

oops about the thumbs down thing. Disregard that.

I use AH more than anwhere else, most of my threads that I am unsure of I start here. Which is very rare anyway.

This might sound really dense but i dont really get the whole Thanks-ing business?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

This might sound really dense but i dont really get the whole Thanks-ing business?

I thanked you not because I agree, but because I can

This is why the thanks option has been removed before, abuse.

Prettyinpink, the thanks option is there for thanking people for their posts, I normally tank people for making me laugh, giving me good advice or just an overall well presented point, which I agree with of course. Hope that clears it up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Right. The yore ma think seems to have been dealt with to most people's satisfaction.

I'm registering my presence as one of the minority here. :)
    Regarding the "yore ma" thing.
    We deal with them, like any other post on a case by case basis.
    Some leeway here at least and for that I thank you.
    Trolls will be banned. These things have already happened.
    Will raising the topic of "Yore Ma" for discussion and argument be seen as a troll?
    Everyone happy enough with that?
    Accepting perhaps, but not happy. ;)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Its to stop +1 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You're supposed to earn them, not just give them away willy-nilly. Kinda like votes, but without people thanking their friends simply because their father did.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Can mods who delete posts please supply a reason for deleting the post. It is most frustrating when a post is deleted and no explanation given.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Will raising the topic of "Yore Ma" for discussion and argument be seen as a troll?
    Do you mean on this thread or in a thread of your own?
    Either way, both have been done already and the general concensus is that people are not happy with others pointlessly posting "yore ma".

As for the troll part, I banned someone for that yesterday.
    If you wish to discuss the ban for trolling, then help desk is the place to go.
    Can mods who delete posts please supply a reason for deleting the post. It is most frustrating when a post is deleted and no explanation given.

We do sometimes, but other times we forget.
    At times it can be quite busy and there might only be one mod on-line dealing with five or six different things at once and trying to enjoy the site themselves at the same time.
    If you have a post deleted and you are not given a reason, then feel free to PM one of us. We generally leave a note as to why the post was deleted so that other mods know the reason. That way any mod will be able to tell you what the deal is.
    If a not was not left, then simply looking at the post in question should give an answer (we can see deleted posts). It also shows which mod deleted it, so they can then ask that mod or point you in their direction if they are unable to answer the question themselves.

In short, PM a mod. We'll gladly answer your question. Posts are not deleted without reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Do you mean on this thread or in a thread of your own?
    Either way, both have been done already and the general concensus is that people are not happy with others pointlessly posting "yore ma".

As for the troll part, I banned someone for that yesterday.
    If you wish to discuss the ban for trolling, then help desk is the place to go.

I meant starting a new thread sometime down the line. The signal to noise ratio on this thread means that a lot of arguments have been bypassed or lost. Perhaps in a few weeks after we see how effective the deletions and bans are holding up I might write a page or two of an argument as to why it should be left here. Anything for a shouting match debate. I just can't let 'yore ma' go quietly into the night without putting up a fight for her right to exist :)

As for the banning yesterday, well, as long as it's not me then I don't care. :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I meant starting a new thread sometime down the line. The signal to noise ratio on this thread means that a lot of arguments have been bypassed or lost. Perhaps in a few weeks after we see how effective the deletions and bans are holding up I might write a page or two of an argument as to why it should be left here. Anything for a shouting match debate. I just can't let 'yore ma' go quietly into the night without putting up a fight for her right to exist :)

As for the banning yesterday, well, as long as it's not me then I don't care. :D
    Yep. No problem with that.

• Advertisement

This is why the thanks option has been removed before, abuse.

Prettyinpink, the thanks option is there for thanking people for their posts, I normally tank people for making me laugh, giving me good advice or just an overall well presented point, which I agree with of course. Hope that clears it up a little.

OK., cool thanks

Advertisement