Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭unregged.

Get rid of 'Terry' He's a creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

unregged. wrote: »
    Get rid of 'Terry' He has too much cop on .
    No bother,you got it wrong is all.:)
    Better luck next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭unregged.

I'd advise you NOT to misquote me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

who is terry might i ask?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Teutorix wrote: »
    He's one of the moderators here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Teutorix wrote: »
    Hi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Remove the "rolleyes" smiley

I hate that little git.
    It is always used in the wrong context,and IMO is a hard one to decipher.

I hate that little git.
    It is always used in the wrong context.

You hate me and are calling me a little git? Or you hate the rolley eyes thing ?:)
    Anytime I see it posted anywhere it pisses me off, it's always pissed me off seeing a rolley eyes smiley on any forum. It's used to goad someone into a personal abuse post I think.

Just like the +1 posts a post with just a smiley is similiarly rubbish...
    I'm sure some agree and see the merits of :rolleyes:
    I don't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I hate that little git.

Yea you're right... :rolleyes:

That's more of a feedback related thing.
    None too fond of it myself.

I suggested other versions in the past, but nothing was done about it.

I was waiting for that post...
    Didn't think it'd come that fast actually.
    Terry wrote: »

I started a (feedback or development) thread once about smileys and was shot down , no interest in even attempting something like that again :p

Fair play to the mods btw for allowing feedback in the forum rather than shifting it to Feedback :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Fair play to the mods btw for allowing feedback in the forum rather than shifting it to Feedback :)

You're right, it's annoying and is a little insulting. Like a mini insult. There's no need for it really...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Like 'yore ma', rolleyes, when used in the correct context has his place in the greater scheme of things. I've fought for him before and will do so again if necessary.

:D
    I hate that little git.
    Like I said.^^
    You hate me and are calling me a little git? Or you hate the rolley eyes thing ?:)
    Anytime I see it posted anywhere it pisses me off, it's always pissed me off seeing a rolley eyes smiley on any forum. It's used to goad someone into a personal abuse post I think.

I'm sure some agree and see the merits of :rolleyes:
    I don't
    Old roll eyes is just that, old.
    It is one that can be taken two ways depending on the attitude of the next poster.
    You know I don't hate you Alan,:rolleyes:.:D

See , now that could be taken out of context.;):pac:
    Terry wrote: »

Maybe if a different smiley could be found.
    We could make it a SSF for next year, get people to sponsor the person who comes up with the best replacement, ie people put forward the one they would like and we sponser to get it installed to replace said smiley.
    Terry, you would know better than me where this could be put to allow everyone to vote.
    I started a (feedback or development) thread once about smileys and was shot down , no interest in even attempting something like that again :p

It is good because a lot of posters don't go near feedback.
    You're right, it's annoying and is a little insulting. Like a mini insult. There's no need for it really...
    Exactly, a mini insult that you have to think twice about because it can be read two ways.

/Much like a man,come to think of it.;)

It isn't even a smiley that's rolling it's eyes, it's a smirk.
    This is a rolleyes smiley - http://omg.wthax.org/icon_rolleyes.gif

It isn't even a smiley that's rolling it's eyes, it's a smirk.
    This is a rolleyes smiley - http://omg.wthax.org/icon_rolleyes.gif
    Yep.
    That's similar to the old phpbb roll eyes one.

You see what I mean though ? When someone posts the current rolleyes it looks like they're smirking at you rather than rolleying their eyes.

If you're having a debate/argument/discussion/chat with someone in the pub and they smirk at you how'd you react like ? It pisses me off either way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Maybe if a different smiley could be found.
    We could make it a SSF for next year, get people to sponsor the person who comes up with the best replacement, ie people put forward the one they would like and we sponser to get it installed to replace said smiley.
    Terry, you would know better than me where this could be put to allow everyone to vote.
    All I can say is bring it.
    He won't go down without a fight.

And that's nothing against you Sharpy... I love ya to bits but I'll defend to the death peoples right to be sarcastic.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's not sarcastic though...

You see what I mean though ? When someone posts the current rolleyes it looks like they're smirking at you rather than rolleying their eyes.

If you're having a debate/argument/discussion/chat with someone in the pub and they smirk at you how'd you react like ? It pisses me off either way
    Hammer and Nail.
    Dead center.
    * Shakes alan's hand *
    The one you suggested is much more user friendly and still gets the point across.

Oh but it is.. rolleyes is sarcasm personified!

As I said before alan, there is a time and a place where it's appropriate and funny, same as a 'yore ma' can be well timed and funny. If it's intentionally posted to insult someone then I'm confident that it will be dealt with appropriately.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I would support removing it. I believe it was removed for a while. Then posters started the "Bring back rolleyes" campaign. But again that would be a sitewide complaint rather than an AH wide one.

Steve wrote: »
    Oh but it is.. rolleyes is sarcasm personified!

As I said before alan, there is a time and a place where it's appropriate and funny, same as a 'yore ma' can be well timed and funny. If it's intentionally posted to insult someone then I'm confident that it will be dealt with appropriately.

In fairness I think reporting rolleyes posts is a step too far, even for Boards.

The easiest way to prevent "+1 & :)" only posts is to set a minimum number of characters in any posted message, if it's possible on a forum by forum basis.

On other forums, tCN for example a :) reply is "normal", but then again if these posts are causing a problem, then the mods could just bin them along with their other "janitorial duties"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

"minimum number of characters in any posted message" would be a great idea and would stop a lot of bullsh!t posting - but I can't see it ever happening. The majority of replies in after hours threads are more 'chit chat' than anything else - but really this is what after hours is about.

I think we should have a "Current Affairs" forum for discussion that regularly occupies AH but gets diluted by useless posts. Yes, Politics or Humanities may sometimes be a better fit, but personally I think a "Current Affairs" forum would be great for decent discussion of things that are in the news etc - but not quite like politics or humanities as things can get a little weird in there.

Leave after hours for rants etc - general no specific discussion thats ok if it gets a little silly - but personally I think more of an effort should be made to promote decent discussion / debate.

Maybe I'm just getting old but sometimes I get tired of the teenage humor that dominates this forum

I define 40 characters a reasonable minimum character count, sufficiently large for "terse" answers without allowing +1 etc

In fairness I think reporting rolleyes posts is a step too far, even for Boards.
    I agree - the problem is some people take offence quicker than others, some people also don't seem to 'get' sarcastic humour either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

More smileys....?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement