Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It isn't even a smiley that's rolling it's eyes, it's a smirk.
    This is a rolleyes smiley - http://omg.wthax.org/icon_rolleyes.gif

That rolleyes is on the cloud skin. You should switch to that. Cloud skin rules.
    The easiest way to prevent "+1 & :)" only posts is to set a minimum number of characters in any posted message, if it's possible on a forum by forum basis.

On other forums, tCN for example a :) reply is "normal", but then again if these posts are causing a problem, then the mods could just bin them along with their other "janitorial duties"

A minimum character limit won't really work all that well. Instead of +1 we'll have +1000000000000000000000. Instead of :) we'll have :):):):):):):):):):):):) etc. It's just far too easy to get around. With regards to the smiley I'd rather have a post contain just one or two smileys than 15 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

That rolleyes is on the cloud skin. You should switch to that. Cloud skin rules.

That's good to know,AC.
    I switched over just now as it was one of the few skins I hadn't tried.
    It might take a bit of getting used to though as the it seems a bit too bright.
    I always use the blue skin as I find it less harsh on the eyes.
    I will stick with it for a while and see how it goes.

/pst...it's a bit like being in someone else's house.:eek:

Thanks AC.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's good to know,AC.
    I switched over just now as it was one of the few skins I hadn't tried.
    It might take a bit of getting used to though as the it seems a bit too bright.
    I always use the blue skin as I find it less harsh on the eyes.
    I will stick with it for a while and see how it goes.

/pst...it's a bit like being in someone else's house.:eek:

Thanks AC.
    Cloud skin, too bright? It's the black one with white text and yellowey/goldey type buttons. It doesn't strike me as bright. Great skin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You're all ****ed now anyway.
    You think I'm harsh? I'm a pussy compared to Monty and now he's back.

Cloud skin, too bright? It's the black one with white text and yellowey/goldey type buttons. It doesn't strike me as bright. Great skin though.

Yes,thats the one.
    It is the white text that seems to throw off a glare.
    It is probably because I am used to the blue skin.
    How come old roll eyes is animated on this one?
    EDIT:
    Just saw your post,Terry.
    Is he really that bad?
    I never had any dealings with Monty.
    Sorry for talking about you as if you weren't here,Monty.
    Just asking.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »

I wonder will feedback be full of the people who usually whine about how it after hours was so much better years ago. :)

I wonder will feedback be full of the people who usually whine about how it after hours was so much better years ago. :)
    Probably. Even though they could just post in this thread and give some good reasons as to why it should go back that way.
    They won't do that though. Not many of them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Monty this seems strange to me.
    After hours had that after thing,
    But nonsense has a welcome ring
    And heroes don’t come easy.

Now, nonsense isn’t new to me.
    I know my head, I know my feet,
    But mischief knocked me in the knees.
    Said, Just let go. Just let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Monty this seems strange to me.
    After hours had that after thing,
    But nonsense has a welcome ring
    And heroes don’t come easy.

Now, nonsense isn’t new to me.
    I know my head, I know my feet,
    But mischief knocked me in the knees.
    Said, Just let go. Just let go.

Scaramouche, saramouche, will you do the fandango?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Can we make "in before the ban" "in before the lock" "in before the snip" Banable? Is there any need for it?

• Advertisement

Can we make "in before the ban" "in before the lock" "in before the snip" Banable? Is there any need for it?
    They should actually change it to in before the delete, because most of those posts end up deleted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Scaramouche, saramouche, will you do the fandango?
    Send a bolt of lightning, very very frightening!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

How about 'In before Yore Ma'.

Might aswell get two annoying posts out of the way in one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Where was he??

Where was he??
    Oot and aboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Shmuck

Why are toilet threads not allowed? My thread wasn't even a toilet thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Oot and aboot.

Scotland then.

Or Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Not here anyway...

Shmuck wrote: »
    Because most people do not want to read about the toilet habits of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Did you ask them?

• Advertisement

Just toilet you know, most posters in AHs are sick of the crap that is disguised as a thread in said forum.:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Shmuck wrote: »

I didn't appreciate the character attack on one Mr. F. Bantam by a person who clearly does not understand his intention. The indication implicit in the thread title leads me to believe that a personal attack was taking place. The aforementioned defendant has never posted anything on After Hours that would make me believe that he could in fact be the culprit. In fact I would argue that there is a world of difference between the subtle nuances described by a shite enthusiast such as the aforementioned defendant and some ****e smearing wierdo that does not deserve an audience or public comment.

In other words, a Shmuck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Because most people do not want to read about the toilet habits of others.

You can't speak for everyone, what say I do a public poll and if people don't want toilet threads then keep them banned, but if they want them then you have to allow them. Deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

The things some people get away with saying in here baffles me sometimes...ye're all about the good name of Boards yet I know I'm not the only one who doesn't post here much if ever anymore because of the things people get away with saying on here. It seems to be one rule for some people and another for others. Just because a lot of people are "favourites" on here doesn't mean they should get away with murder. You only need to look at the most recent one, the Jade Goody thread to see that. Like I said I'm not the only one who thinks this, plenty of people have mentioned it on other forums. Being a bit stricter on the over the top nasty/sick comments might lure more people back in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Clare Bear wrote: »
    The things some people get away with saying in here baffles me sometimes...ye're all about the good name of Boards yet I know I'm not the only one who doesn't post here much if ever anymore because of the things people get away with saying on here. It seems to be one rule for some people and another for others. Just because a lot of people are "favourites" on here doesn't mean they should get away with murder. You only need to look at the most recent one, the Jade Goody thread to see that. Like I said I'm not the only one who thinks this, plenty of people have mentioned it on other forums.

There were a lot of tasteless things posted in the Jade Goody thread. I'd agree with you there.

In that thread there was a total of just 4 reported posts. 7 reports in total (some people reported the same post). You might actually be amazed at how many bannable posts go unreported. I try to be proactive in my modding and deal with problems before they become problems but I'm wary of being an overprotective mother and swaddling the posters of AH in cotton wool. It is not the PC forum. It is not PI. It is not politics. It is not humanities. It is not the Ladies Lounge. Neither is it a "boy's club".

It is After Hours. That doesn't mean it's a no holds barred forum where anything goes. But it has far more blurred boundaries when it comes to matters of taste. There are very few hard and fast rules. So we have to make judgement calls. Sometimes we let some things slide that probably shouldn't. Sometimes we close threads that weren't all that bad. It's a hard line to walk and we won't keep everybody happy all the time.

The only way we can gauge where the readers of After Hours want the "line" to be is by getting Feedback from you. Be that reported posts, PMs, this thread or whatever. People who walk away from the forum and just talk about it elsewhere aren't having their voices heard. At least not by the people who matter. That's not our fault.

I'd like to think I speak for all the mods of AH when I say we are approachable. How many other forums have threads similar to this one for example? If people aren't happy with the leeway given to posters here, they should say so. I don't play favourites with anybody and if you think that's happening, please point out examples.

This isn't meant to come across as an attack and I'm sorry if it reads that way. It isn't solely directed at you either Clare Bear. At least you are giving us feedback now and it is being taken on board.

But it sounds like there are plenty of other people out there who just walk away from AH without telling us why. We can't fix it if we don't know what's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

javaboy wrote: »
    But it sounds like there are plenty of other people out there who just walk away from AH without telling us why. We can't fix it if we don't know what's broken.
    It can be a bit intimidating for newcomers, whcih is pretty much my only criticism of AH. I think it;s down to the size and speed at which some of the threads move. Although how you fix that, God only knows. Other than forums and sub forums, whcih has been done.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Shmuck

I didn't appreciate the character attack on one Mr. F. Bantam by a person who clearly does not understand his intention. The indication implicit in the thread title leads me to believe that a personal attack was taking place. The aforementioned defendant has never posted anything on After Hours that would make me believe that he could in fact be the culprit. In fact I would argue that there is a world of difference between the subtle nuances described by a shite enthusiast such as the aforementioned defendant and some ****e smearing wierdo that does not deserve an audience or public comment.

Oh come on! Lets look at the clues shall we:
    -Asking a barmaid how much to rape her
    -Leaving a trail of stench behind as a calling card because he was rejected
    -Wanton destruction of books and priceless artifacts with his spray of scutter
    Sounds like classic flute behaviour to me :D

Anyway it wasn't a personal attack, I don't believe those acts are mindless, sickening vandalism, instead I thinks its art, in the same way Pete Dohertys blood paintings are art. I truely believe in one hundred years time flute will be considered a genius, he's just not appreciated in his time like all the true greats.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    The things some people get away with saying in here baffles me sometimes...ye're all about the good name of Boards yet I know I'm not the only one who doesn't post here much if ever anymore because of the things people get away with saying on here. It seems to be one rule for some people and another for others. Just because a lot of people are "favourites" on here doesn't mean they should get away with murder. You only need to look at the most recent one, the Jade Goody thread to see that. Like I said I'm not the only one who thinks this, plenty of people have mentioned it on other forums. Being a bit stricter on the over the top nasty/sick comments might lure more people back in here.

Yup, there was a lot of crap said in that thread. I gave one person a ban for a post in that thread. I then closed it (the next night I believe) because of some of the shíte that was posted in there. I was tempted to go through it and ban/infract anyone I thought went too far but it was late, I was tired and it was a long thread.

What alerted me to the post that got someone banned for was a reported post. What alerted me to the thread being a complete shít storm was a combination of reported posts. If you see something that you think crosses the line then please report it. We may decide that post warrants action, we may decide it doesn't but I can guarantee you that post will be looked at. I can't make the same guarantee if the post isn't reported.

As for favourites, there are posters on here I get on with or would usually agree with. I still wouldn't hesitate to pull them on something if they crossed the line. I have banned and infracted these people before and I will do it again in the future if needs be.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    It can be a bit intimidating for newcomers, whcih is pretty much my only criticism of AH. I think it;s down to the size and speed at which some of the threads move. Although how you fix that, God only knows. Other than forums and sub forums, whcih has been done.

Some threads I've seen late at night could end up having over 20 posts in the space of about 10 minutes. During peak times (when most people would be on) it's a hell of a lot worse. I can imagine it would be hard for someone new to keep up. Hell sometimes I find it hard to keep it up.

There are various site tools that are handy such as auto-subscribing to threads you post in and then using your user cp but I doubt many newbies would know this. I know I myself took a while to find them and I only found them out because I kept hearing people go on about it in places like feedback.

Advertisement