Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Incorporate a prison system, members who are banned go to "prison", the general public of boards.ie can then go visit the prison and throw tomatoes, cabbage, etc etc at the culprits.

EG:

"Randomer" banned for muppetry. 7 days. Throw rock? 1659 rocks thrown so far.

:)
    Sounds like one of those bebo or facebook applications which means it's a no. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Incorporate a prison system, members who are banned go to "prison", the general public of boards.ie can then go visit the prison and throw tomatoes, cabbage, etc etc at the culprits.

EG:

"Randomer" banned for muppetry. 7 days. Throw rock? 1659 rocks thrown so far.

:)

The ironing is delicious... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

jimbo78 wrote: »
    The ironing is delicious... :pac:
    Please don't do that.
    He has been banned, so he cannot defend himself in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Detailed reasons:eek:

Max two words I'd say meself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Can we make it an infractable offence to start a thread and just post a link. Its very annoying for people on mobiles, or on dial up. Sometimes its just a link with nothing else, no comment to suggest what it is or anything.

• Advertisement

Can we make it an infractable offence to start a thread and just post a link. Its very annoying for people on mobiles, or on dial up. Sometimes its just a link with nothing else, no comment to suggest what it is or anything.
    That's something we're looking into for the new charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Can we make it an infractable offence to start a thread and just post a link. Its very annoying for people on mobiles, or on dial up.

Sure if we're catering for mobiles in After Hours, then text speak should be allowed :rolleyes:

Let's not regress the site to the lowest common denominator.

Its not "regressing the site to the lowest common denominator", Its making the site available to as wide an audience as possible. M.boards.ie is very popular and is used often by people who like to view and partake in boards threads whilst they don't have access to a computer. Banning txt speak is out of courtesy, making the site available to all is the same. A lot of people view boards on their commute to/from work on their mobile and I would like to think that these people are being catered for. Also a lot of the country doesn't have broadband available to them and threads as mentioned above are of disservice to them also.

Got a few chuckles out of AH today for the first time in a while.

Good work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

How about making a superthread for these "I just saw this headline on the Star, OMFG" threads. There's 20 new ones a day.

• Advertisement

Thought about it.
    Too hard to maintain really.

The bigger the thread, the more of a nightmare it becomes to manage.
    You get people stumbling into a 50 page thread and bringing up an arguement from the first page and it just throws everything off balance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Kold wrote: »
    How about making a superthread for these "I just saw this headline on the Star, OMFG" threads. There's 20 new ones a day.
    How about a separate board for people who read The Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Maybe an AH drop down board for people to talk about random news stories.

Zascar wrote: »
    How about a separate board for people who read The Star.
    There already is one

It's worth considering alright.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've always said a "Current Events" type forum would be a great addition - a forum to discuss news events and current topics of interest for debate - but not as serious as what goes on in the Politics forum.

Leave after hours for random rants and discussions not suited to specific forums.

I'd love to see that happen it would improve things immensely imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Scien wrote: »
    Any chance Religion & Athiest related topics could be kept out of AH?

There's perfectly good forums for the discussion of these topics but still they are popping up and kept in AH almost daily.

Thanks.

If you are going to get offended by them in AH, then just don’t enter the thread. You know its gonna be a pisstake or end up as one.

I personally don't mind the light hearted ones.
    I just don't like when they get heated. I suppose we could compromise and close the heated ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Thats not the point.
    You don't see Dublin threads remaining in AH, or Soccer related etc etc.
    Religious/Athiesm threads should be treated the same.

I dont see why i should be subjected to either sides drivel in one of my favourite forums.
    Yes you do. I'll give you two examples:
    Dublin related thread: The girl who got knocked up in Coppers.
    Soccer related thread: Isnt Eamonn Dunphy a cúnt.

These were left in AH because it was the place for them and they were jokey threads. If you want a serious debate about religion then go to the religion forum.

All of them get heated/insulting imo.
    They do eventually, but I don't see the harm in leaving them be until the start getting heated.
    Some of them can be quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Any chance Religion & Athiest related topics could be kept out of AH?

There's perfectly good forums for the discussion of these topics but still they are popping up and kept in AH almost daily.

Thanks.

I agree. And when they're in AH it usually just ends up with people arguing the existence of God and posting 'Zombie Jesus' pics. Oh, and calling religious people 'nuts' and 'Jesus freaks'.:rolleyes: I'm not even religious, but that gets a bit annoying after awhile. Maybe they should just be kept in the religious/atheist forums?

See, here's the thing.
    You would get banned for posting something along the lines of Christians really piss me off in the religion category.
    AH caters to that type of post.

I can see where you are both coming from with the extremist side of things, so we can cut down on those type of posts.

I'd like to think that we can cater to all sides and not segregate discussion to specific forums.
    Yes, the religion category has its place, as does the regional one, the Games one and so forth, but they are for those who want in-depth discussion. AH caters to the lighter side of things and I would hope that there is a place here to poke fun at both religion and atheism without it getting too out of control.

If you feel that a thread is getting out of control, let us know. The report post function isn't just there to report spam and personal abuse.

I'm reading this back and it comes across as a bit condescending. That's not how it's meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Terry wrote: »
    I personally don't mind the light hearted ones.
    I just don't like when they get heated. I suppose we could compromise and close the heated ones.

Or move the heated ones to the AH "snug" where anything goes.....

...also an AH link to mock the posts in "Prison" would be a laugh. Saturday night spurned lovers leaving post after post, each one getting more and more desperate/psychotic as they realise they have performed the ultimate relationship sin and that they have no way back.......I really would love to be able to commentate on those crazy bastards.

There's an AH snug?

We don't allow links to threads in other forums so that we can laugh at others on the grounds of taste.
    I do agree that prison can be a laugh and Pighead has made some great posts there, but linking to the plight of others would just end up with a lot of in-fighting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There's an AH snug?

We don't allow links to threads in other forums so that we can laugh at others on the grounds of taste.
    I do agree that prison can be a laugh and Pighead has made some great posts there, but linking to the plight of others would just end up with a lot of in-fighting.
    Also most the users posting in there would be trolls and would just love the attention. It'd probably cause more re-regs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

There's an AH snug?

AH snug was a completely original idea...but your interest arouses me in an impure way.

Regarding Pighead posting in Prison, is that during a ban? Or can anyone post in there?...because I would love to........mocking may not have been the right word.......but mocking is what I'd do.

AH snug was a completely original idea...but your interest arouses me in an impure way.

Regarding Pighead posting in Prison, is that during a ban? Or can anyone post in there?...because I would love to........mocking may not have been the right word.......but mocking is what I'd do.

He was sitebanned in the past. When his site ban was lifted his permissions for prison were never reset or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

how do you improve after hours: host a stand up comedy night, let the boys from AH strech their comedy muscles - not so funny now boys...

would get more traffic in here before ( the run upto ) and after... making it more fun for all

Advertisement