Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone selling a cheap Lada Niva?

• 13-02-2009 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hello, wether this belongs in classics or not is a matter of opinion but......
    Ive been looking around on the net for a lada niva and cant find any on this Island.
    I really want one as something small, tough and cheap to fix but its hard to find them, so if anyone knows any for sale for less than 2,000 I'd be grateful for the knowledge.
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

There is a guy in Mountnugent in Cavan that has a one, 1990 model. I've only ever passed it, but it seems to always parked opposite a garage on the road out to Oldcastle. I don't know if he would sell it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

cheap to fix

I don't think so. Parts would be impossible to get.

Your best bet would be Suzuki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'll second the recommendation for the zuke. Great little machines and well tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I only have the badges off one...havnt seen one in years...

There was a '01 model for sale on Carzone a while back. Don't know if it's still there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭superboy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

There's a very clean Hungarian registered Riva in Fairview if anyone is interested.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Hermy wrote: »
    There's a very clean Hungarian registered Riva in Fairview if anyone is interested.

I know the one, it's very clean. Early one too.

The Niva is meant to be one of the best off-roaders ever built.

As for the Riva, they were good cars, it's just many owners never bothered to take care of them properly. Same goes to the Yugo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

superboy wrote: »

Briliant thanks for that.

Yes Ive heard that the Nivas have exceptional ability off road and are actually very reliable compared to other Ladas.
    Parts are damned cheap to
    www.lada.co.uk
    about 300sterling for a whole gearbox isnt bad by my books.

Agreed that they'll last forever if looked after, my uncle had one and maintained it religiously for at least 20 years anyway(I think??)

• Advertisement

Look at it this way, people in far eastern Russia are still driving around in 20+ year old Lada's, that says something when it comes to reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Look at it this way, people in far eastern Russia are still driving around in 20+ year old Lada's, that says something when it comes to reliability.

That says a lot more about the craft of the people that keep those cars going than about the reliability of the cars ;)

Why do you think there are still so many 50-60 year old utter heaps of US sh1te driving around in Cuba today?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hermy wrote: »
    First time I posted this comment I put it in the wrong thread cause I was drunk.
    Now I realise that I've messed up again cause the OP was talking about a Niva.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

They're VERY popular in France. You could pick a up a clean left hooker - they're high off the ground so it wouldn't be that much of an issue...

see here:

http://www.lacentrale.fr/listing_auto.php?SS_CATEGORIE=269&prix_mini=&marque=LADA&prix_maxi=&modele=NIVA&cp=&energie=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You're correct about France - they are quite prevalent there.
    As far as I remember, all of the Ladas were repatriated in the late nineties.
    There was a huge ship chartered by Russians to return them from Ireland and the UK for parts in the home-markets.
    Hence the lack of them here now.

Edit: Ah yes - here we are:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada#United_Kingdom_.26_Ireland
    After Lada (UK) ceased operations in 1997, the remains of the British network of Lada dealers were serviced by Lada (France). Ladas rapidly disappeared from British roads. They had minimal second-hand value in the UK and a re-export market for Russia developed. Many UK and Irish-registered Ladas were sold back to Russia (especially by Russian trawlermen), to be stripped for spare parts or to be sold to Russian buyers who appreciated the superior export-specification cars.

Advertisement