Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midway file for bankruptcy

Options
  • 13-02-2009 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172757
    It's been in the offing for a while now, but now it looks like it's finally happened. Midway officially filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy today.

According to Joystiq, Midway's response is pretty much what every company says when they file for bankruptcy protection - it's all part of the plan. According to new CEO Matt Booty, it was a "difficult but necessary decision," and also "the next logical step in an ongoing process to address our capital structure."

Midway will be continuing day to day operations, and has filed a number of First Day Motions that the courts will probably grant. Which means work can continue on Wheelman and the new Mortal Kombat. Might take a bit more than that to get back into the black though.

Sad to see such an old company go out of business, after MK vs DC I would have like to have seen one last good Mortal Kombat game.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varkov wrote: »
    Sad to see such an old company go out of business, after MK vs DC I would have like to have seen one last good Mortal Kombat game.

Was there ever a good MK game? :)

Bit sad to see them go but they were churning out absolute rubbish for the last decade. The only decent game I can think of that they made in the last while I think was an absolute fluke. Psi-Ops should have been terrible but was saved by giving you a sandbox of havok physics enabled powers to go crazy with. The bosses were surprisingly brilliant though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

wow, there games list reads like a whos who of crap games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_Games#Video_games

Although they do have a few decent titles. Stranglehold was pretty good imo.

Wonder what this means for The Wheelman, due out next month. It will probably get picked up by another publisher I guess as development of it has to be finished at this stage.

I guess Ubisoft and Codemasters will divvy up Midways share in the Lord of the Rings Online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I think they have some sort of arangement for protection so they can finish their current development plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Was there ever a good MK game? :)
    ye, stranglehold was a brillant game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Capcom should get in there and buy up Mortal Kombat!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sad to see such an old timer collapse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ah thats a shame,its the end of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Capcom should get in there and buy up Mortal Kombat!
    No can do, Tatsunoko is Capcom's current significant other.

It's sad though, I really wish they'd get back together with Tatsunoko's older, sexier overseas cousin Marvel -- you could feel the love they had, back then.
    I blame the break-up on that hussy SNK -- did you see what happened when she decided to run the show?
    I found it very hard to forgive Capcom -- but in the end, I kinda did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

For all you neigh sayers NBA JAM TE that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

NBA Jam was excellent. Even today it's ON Fire.

Also, they had Mortal Kombat vs. DC Comics but where the **** is Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Suffering and Psi Ops were both great games, been nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

SMASH TV was a classic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

The moment they made Mortal Kombat 3D, is the moment they sealed their fate. Mortal Kombat Trilogy FTW!

UT3 wasn't great either, UT99 FTW!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

CyberGhost wrote: »
    The moment they made Mortal Kombat 3D, is the moment they sealed their fate. Mortal Kombat Trilogy FTW!

UT3 wasn't great either, UT99 FTW!

Well they didn't make UT3, that was Epic Games (who have said they will not be affected by this at all)

UT3 still did not perform that well . . . and I guess as publishers MidWay were hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Oh what a shame. I know they aren't prolific in terms of good games but it's still a 'big' name from my childhood going to the wall.

Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

just to update this tread. only midway US filed for bankruptcy, international arms of the company are still open. wheelman is still due for release in a joint agreement between ubisoft and midway. neato :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

thats awful. Psi ops was one of my favorite ps2 games way ahead of its time and i always hoped for a sequel.

Advertisement