Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will be the next Premiershipless manager to win the Premiership?

• 13-02-2009 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

So ruling out Fergie, Jose, Wenger and... eh.... Dalglish (ahem), who do you reckon will be the next manager to win their maiden EPL?

I suspect it will be O'Neill, but I don't think it will be with Villa :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

O'Neill could have a chance with Villa if he has enough time. Other than that it'll be whoever comes in to manage Chelsea or 'Pool.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Rafa FU Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In before the Rafa brigade

Sparkles is next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Not Guus Hiddink :cool:

On a more serious note, I'm gonna take a stab and say Carlos Queiroz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Xavi6 wrote: »

Sparkles is next

What job is he taking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Stekelly wrote: »
    What job is he taking?

Chelsea in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The next permanent Chelsea manager (obviously not Hiddink)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So ruling out Fergie, Jose, Wenger and... eh.... Dalglish (ahem), who do you reckon will be the next manager to win their maiden EPL?

I suspect it will be O'Neill, but I don't think it will be with Villa :(
    Whats with the ahem beside Dalglish's name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

eagle eye wrote: »
    Whats with the ahem beside Dalglish's name?

His team bought a title but sure then so did Mourinho's. Double ahem there brother. Fergie and Wenger are the only actual true winners of the Premiership. If MON does then he will be also, so will Rafa but Sparky should he do it in about 2-3 years wont neither.

redout wrote: »
    His team bought a title but sure then so did Mourinho's. Double ahem there brother. Fergie and Wenger are the only actual true winners of the Premiership. If MON does then he will be also, so will Rafa but Sparky should he do it in about 2-3 years wont neither.
    Well I was asking the op, not you. But highlighted is the rubbish, I remember Roy Keane being sold for a record tranfer fee two seasons before we won our title, he went to United and was part of their team the sesaon we won the title along Gary Pallister(most expensive defender when signed by United), and the most expensive full back in British football at that time Paul Parker, Andy Cole who was the most expensive player, David May(bought from blackburn) even though we didn't want to sell him. And thats not to mention the princely sums paid out for Mark Hughes to return, Denis Irwin, Steve Bruce, Brian McClair and Andrie Kanchelskis.

• Advertisement

I was busy editing while you quoted me, you might want to read that little bit of history I put in there for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

redout wrote: »

Absolute rubbish. Fergie had plenty of money to spend in his early years. See Eagle Eye's excellent post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I was asking the op, not you. But highlighted is the rubbish, I remember Roy Keane being sold for a record tranfer fee two seasons before we won our title, he went to United and was part of their team the sesaon we won the title along Gary Pallister(most expensive defender when signed by United), and the most expensive full back in British football at that time Paul Parker, Andy Cole who was the most expensive player, David May(bought from blackburn) even though we didn't want to sell him. And thats not to mention the princely sums paid out for Mark Hughes to return, Denis Irwin, Steve Bruce, Brian McClair and Andrie Kanchelskis.

Sorry Denis Irwin 600k was not that big even back then , As fergie say's his best value buy ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

back on topic.....

no doubt in my mind it will be Rafa Benitez

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Getting back to the op, the answer is whoever takes over from
    Sir Alex. (even if he stays a few more years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Hate to say this
    but Rafa has to be a front runner ,
    To dismiss him (hello have ye looked at the table) Is just dumb.

God I feel Dirty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think it will be Zola with Chelsea in two or three seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

David Moyes with Man Utd. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

me

with kettering town

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Simon Grayson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

{the_next_manager} of Chelsea or United in (next_x_years}

Now, what's the next variant of the who will win the league thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Am I crazy, or does anyone think the following could happen:

MON gets into the CL. [Not entirely unlikely]
    MON now has access to another pool of talent that he didn't have before. Beyond that, he has an awful lot of money available to him. He hasn't spend it because the quality isn't out there. He convinces the top players to stay for 2 years because they are in the CL, and he tries to push them on.
    He catches Liverpool after Rafa gets fired and they are in turmoil, Man Utd after Ronaldo leaves and Fergie leaves, Chelsea still messing about with 20 managers, Arsenal in another rebuilding session.

MON then wins the title :) Improbable? Yes. Unlikely? Yes. But it could happen :)

its not beyond the realms of possibility that we win the league in the next few seasons tbh

it all depends where we finish this season. if we get 3rd and the automatic group stage cl football that comes with it, we'll definitely be looking at a really high calibre of player in the summer. with the tv money from this season, the champions league money, and randys regular 30-50m input, we could well have 100m+ available to us

im not for one second saying we'd spend all that money, but we'd definitely be in the place where we could go and spend £20m+ on top notch players

tevez first on the list if i was gaffer tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

One season of CL football wont be enough to make Villa an attractive prospect to the best players tbh. I think Villa could well finish 3rd/4th this season, which in turn will give them a better chance of finishing in the top 4 again next season, but it will take a few successful CL campaigns to make the top players take notice.

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that Villa win the League this year.
    Its not beyond the realms of possibility that Liverpool win the League this year.
    Its not beyond the realms of possibility although a little more unlikely that Chelsea win it this year.

The fact that the three managers chasing United would all be first time winners makes it more likely than it has been for some time. United fans are imo getting carried away by history in thinking the League is over already. A lot of Liverpool fans are giving up already but again thats more to do with history than the present. Aston Villa fans don't even want to comtemplate it in case they look foolish at the end of the season, they are still just hoping for CL football.

Forget hitory, Blackburn won the League in '95 because we were not worried about history, United in '93 had to win it to break a barren spell, and Chelsea with all their money still had enormous pressure on them to win it. Its all about if a team can grab that opportunity when it present itself with both hands and not let go.
    Even I believe that United are hot favourites for the title, but its a long, long way from over.
    I'd pick Benitez to do it this year or next, and MON to do it over the next three years.

One season of CL football wont be enough to make Villa an attractive prospect to the best players tbh. I think Villa could well finish 3rd/4th this season, which in turn will give them a better chance of finishing in the top 4 again next season, but it will take a few successful CL campaigns to make the top players take notice.

if we were to finish 3rd, i think wed have a much easier time of it than we have had for a long time tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just to clear up my *ahem* comment in the op - I began the post listing all the managers that have won the Premier League, asking "now aside from these blokes who will be next". This creates an impression that the afore mentioned are likely to win the league again at some point - the ahem after Dalglish was therefore strictly with regard to the unlikeliness of him ever winning the league again, and no way a scoff at the merits of Blackburn's championship or anything of that nature.

Apologies for the mix up. Probably could have made myself clearer but it was late.

Advertisement