Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband /PhoneLine advice

Options
  • 13-02-2009 1:44am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been having problem with my broadband speed for the past couple of weeks.

I logged a call with BT on the 27/01/09 and have had numerous ping pong phone calls trying to sort the problem out .

I am paying for option 3 and have been luckey to get a 1mb download lately, I was going through the modem to see if there was any problem with it and then noticed the my download on the BT voyager status page is 2308KB/s where it used to be 5512KB/s upload was about the same . I rang up BT thinking that they had mistakenly downgraded my package ( I have attached a snapshot of my status page ) They told me that i was still on option 3 and should be achieving speeds of up to 5.5mb.

Any way to cut a long story short , I was sitting up in the office tonight trying to do a bit of work and it clicked with me that the problems only started when I got the sky multi room installed . I have 3 sky boxes in all.
    So i went down to the room underneath the stairs when all my coax and Cat5 wires terminate and have found that there is 4 cat 5 wires some striped down to just 2 wires all attached together with a bit of PVC tape,(again i have a pic attached ) I presume the guy from sky done this to get a working phoneline connection to the two new box's he had just installed.

I am wondering now is this the source of my problems ? and if so do I need to contact an electrician or IT /Telecoms person ?

If i need to get an IT/Telecoms person would you guys have any recommendations for anyone in the Newbridge/Nass area ?

Thank you for any help, it will be much appreciated .

Advertisement