Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop won't start up

• 13-02-2009 2:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I was uninstalling some things earlier of my laptop, i had taken off yahoo toolbar and was in the process of uninstalling Napster when setup.exe stopped working. i shut down and try to restart, hoping whatever bug would work itself out.
    only problem is, the laptop won't restart. i am getting the error message

Windows failed to tart. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem, its asking for windows installation disc, which i don't have as all the software was preinstalled.
    'An error occusrred while attempting to read the boot configuration data'.

is there anything i can do to fix this at home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Did you try booting into Safe Mode (pressing F8 key at start up) queen-mise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Did you try booting into Safe Mode (pressing F8 key at start up) queen-mise?

nope no luck, won't go into safe mode. it keeps going into windows boot manager - telling us windows is not able to start.

is this is shop job

Have you any kind of boot discs lying around? Or bring it to your local tech-dude. Wouldn't worry anyways... lost count of the laptops that I've thrown in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

If all else fails.
    Please refer to the vendors manual for specific instructions on how to take out your hard disk.
    Turn your laptop upside down,should be a small disk symbol,unscrew the three or four screws holding this in place,take out the hard drive.
    Put it into an external USB 2.5" external caddy (about 35.00 pc world.peats etc),plug drive into a friends machine and copy your files from it.
    At least you'll get your data back if nothing else.

RE insert into latop.
    At this point you have two options if don't have a copy of windows.
    1.Buy a copy of XP/Vista Home or Pro and see if you can upgrade the existing installation,upon boot,or do a full re install.Then copy your files back onto the reloaded machine.
    Burn to DVD etc.
    2.If you don't want to part with any additional cash, and there's nothing more than email,word docs and internet usage required initially.Consider downloading and installing a Linux based O/S ,Centos,Unbuntu etc,burn onto cd and load onto your laptop. -Note requires some technical knowledge,as there may be driver issues etc etc.But is free,however takes time to learn and get used to.Copy your files back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

You will need a vista DVD to repair it. I lifted this solution from another website:
    11. I tried booting it with the Vista DVD inserted.
    It prompts me to choose an OS to start and displays "Microsoft Windows Vista" as the choice.
    Upon pressing ENTER, it takes me to Step 1.

12. I changed the boot sequence to boot up from the Dvd drive. It starts up the Windows installation upon reboot.
    Upon getting the Vista menu, I choose to Repair my computer.

13. A message comes up that says:
    "Windows found problems with your computer's startup options.
    Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?"

click on "Repair and restart".

The main point here is that you want the DVD to see your installed OS and then choose Repair and restart.

<snip> Please don't mention possibly dodgy downloads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sounds like the registry files are iffy
    check that the hard drive is ok using diagnostics - some pc's have this as an option on bootup by pressing F12, some don't

What make / model of laptop - someone may know the recovery procedure for it , if it has a hidden partition

are you using Vista or XP ?

Apologies for my 'stoopid' post above. Get a copy of KNOPPIX. Boot with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Saund like registry allright.
    Very good peace of software that I allways use is Spotmau PowerSuite™
    Used it 4 times so far and worked all the time(had similar problems). It's a bootable CD. No need to reinstall the OS and it takes only about 2 minutes to fix the problem.

Advertisement