Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 months into learning Piano.

• 13-02-2009 3:19am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think it was about 5 months ago I started playing, one lesson a week and I've been reasonably good with practise. I recorded this and its a bit shakier then I would normally play it but I swore I would record it in one go, the first time. (In fact I made a horrible mess of the very start the first time so this is actually the second time...)

I was quite nervous with the camera and more so as I got towards the end without any terrible mistakes (I was worried I'd blow it at the end!).

I have to say, watching it back it looks awkward and a bit stilted but I'm very happy with my progression so far. I can play that piece better but I was a bit tense.

I'll see if I can record some of the scales exercises soon too.

DeV.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

That red light terrifies everyone!

That's some really good playing, especially after 5 months! Keep recording yourself and watch the tapes back. That way you can see where you think you're messing up and you'll fix it cos let's face it, you're your own worse critic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Cool. You look to have made big improvements since the last video! :)

One thing I might suggest to help you with the stiltedness is using a metronome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DeVore wrote: »
    I was quite nervous with the camera and more so as I got towards the end without any terrible mistakes (I was worried I'd blow it at the end!).
    If you can, I would suggest just leaving it permanently on record, and then you can just use the best bits. I find the same playing guitar - I can be flawless playing and singing a piece, but as soon as I go to record it, I fluff it up.

Can't listen to it cos I've no sound here...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Exactly seamus, exactly!

But the reason I am videoing this stuff is to give others like me an idea of what to can be achieved (and what cant!) at this stage.

I felt it would be a little cheaty to video lots of practising and the present the best stuff as my norm :)

This piece went well in fact, normally I miss a few notes (they hide amongst each other!) or I miss an arpegio (?) or forget one is inverted etc.

But I can play a lot better then that and not as stiff and with more feeling. It felt stilted to me and the timing is horrible and the fingering is all stiff. I'll try what you suggest and see.

I think I have a metronome on the keyboard. might try that for the timing though I can usually do better.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I felt it would be a little cheaty to video lots of practising and the present the best stuff as my norm :)
    Perhaps, but it's not like you're digitally altering it. The best piece out of say 30 minutes practice is still something that you did without any artifical aids, so it is by definition something that you are capable of doing. So it's not cheating to say, "Look what I can do" :)
    The only mistake is to assume that's the best you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

I love the little "yesss!" and the shaking of the fists at the very end :) heehee

Good job!
    I wish my progress was as good as yours :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As the piece went on I got more and more nervous because I started thinking "dont screw it up now" and then started thinking "now, remember that you move from an A arpegio to a C one on the left hand, oh ****, what was my right hand supposed to be doing arrrrghhh!" So when I got to the home stretch it was a relief to not mess it up.

See what Seamus is saying though, I'll give that a shot too.

Spider_Baby, when I started learning this about a month and a half ago, I honestly was very glum and thought "well, that was fun for a while.... but I've found my limit and I guess I'm not going to be playing anything more complex then twinkle twinkle little star for the rest of my life".

And for 3 weeks I beat my head against a wall. I really did. Then just when I stopped caring if I smacked some discordant key or messed up an arpegio *again*, it all started to come together. I renewed my efforts at practising and it didnt take much time at all to get it to where I was thinking more about the timing and the sound of the piece then the keys. (though I still think about the keys, a lot :) ).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Well done man i like... i like. I would recommend playing with a metronome and slow it down till its absolutley perfect. Once you do this for a little while you can speed it back up(still with the metronome) and you'll find yourself not making mistakes. When practicing piano never continue on when you make a mistake try always play without them and then your muscle memory gets you through. I'm in the same boat as you, just learning, and i found this the best way to progress although it may work different for you.

Yeah, absolutely. If I make a mistake its back to the start of the phrase I'm learning. I learn in chunks and then stitch those chunk together.

I'll try another video in a while and some of the scales exercises.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

But the reason I am videoing this stuff is to give others like me an idea of what to can be achieved (and what cant!) at this stage.

Well you've done that. That was really good. I bought a keyboard yonks ago with the intention (I'm paving contractor for that new motorway to hell, me) of learning. One of these days, but seeing that has me thinking about it again .....

So are you doing private lessons or group lessons? Anybody know if group lessons are worth it or if you really need the one to one?

• Advertisement

I'm doing one private lesson a week at 50 blips an hour in the young lady's house.

I practise most days, though the weeks I practise a lot I make a lot more progress. Go figure eh?

Its not as hard as it seems and its rewarding but dont full yourself, its about 20-30 minutes practise a day and its 4-6 weeks before you can play something even basic but the progression is reasonably linear so every week you feel you have progressed.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Good work man. Ive started up lessons again for the first time since i was 12. Been playing keyboards with soul and rock bands for years and id gotton so lazy that my right hand was playing chords/solos and left hand just sitting on bass notes or basic chord shapes. Ive started lessons with a cool old american bloke here in Wellington and its been fantastic learning to read music again and making my left hand work again. Hard trying to forgot all the lazy habits i've built up from pub gigs but its well worth it.

Keep up the practice :)

So, we're at month, what, 9?

I just recorded this:

I'm getting there, painfully slowly but I'm enjoying it now because at least I can feel something of the music as I play. I was tense recording that and it shows in my hands, I play a lot more fluidly but I wanted to get it right first time (as I was moving towards the big hand movements at the end, the F# and B octaves, I was praying I wouldnt miss them!)

Watching the first video in this thread is kinda weird now :)
    Should go back and record Fur Elise again and compare!!

Anyway, my piano teacher has stopped teaching so I will need to find a new one, preferably in the Rathmines area if anyone knows of one!

Until then, its internet tutorials and practise, practise practise.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I enjoyed that, top stuff there fair play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

well done

I've been lazy since I got my keyboard a while back but i go through phases and try n get into it from time to time, its just getting a few lessons in the right habits and what to do etc... online theres lots of usefull lessons... here's a simple song i made in a few mins a while back ...i'd love to be much more proficient on the keys but time and effort i guess, not lazyness

thought id share it here!

nice and piano-ey i recorded some of the parts seperate but the jist is there, good ole space and the universe providing the merging pictures to suit the playing

Thats cool! Thats the sort of thing I want to compose when I finally get this instrument down.
    I've been overdosing on Ludovico EinAudi lately which I think you would like too. Youtube him and see what you think.

My skill isnt there yet to play his stuff but practise practise practise I guess :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Good man DeV your coming along nicely

Thats whats hard for me, I seem to be doing ok... I mean, I'm playing stuff I didnt think I would be playing now but it has become something more of a struggle to improve lately. I've just gotten a sustain pedal for the keyboard (which makes Moonlight a lot easier to play it has to be said!) so I'm learning that now.

I guess I should expect the improvements to slow down but I'm not sure what sort of talent I have innately at this because in a years time I would like to be much more proficient then I am now. I'd like to be playing Ludovico Einaudi stuf like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4FN_DOpSk&feature=channel_page

At the moment, I still feel very clumsy and I have to work really really hard on anything I play while I watch others treat the piano as an extension of their fingers. I'm soooo jealous of that hahah...

</waffle>

DeV.

Advertisement