Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone for Country Rock????

Options
  • 13-02-2009 3:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Am I in a minority of 1 or does anybody else out there like their rock with a little 'twang' on the edge? I'm not talking about the formula crap coming out of Nashville but I do like Johnny and Willie and Waylon and Hank Snr, Hal Ketchum and yer old style pure prairie and in particular bands like the Burritos, New Riders of the Purple Sage, the Grateful Dead , The Byrds, Gram Parsons Emmy Lou, Buddy Miller, Towns Van Zandt, The Band - all that area of country that wouldn't be classed as southern rock or Grand ol Opry or twee country music. Just asking.................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Of course, you have to, or you're dead inside.

Listening to a good bit of Hank Williams recently, the guy could write off an entire life in 12 lines. Genius.

Have to say that when it comes to the Byrds, I prefer their stuff prior to Sweetheart of the Rodeo, just have never really warmed to that album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I like some of that stuff - Neil Young has a bit of it going on, as did Dylan. Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Shelby Lynne - great female country singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

alot of the eagles stuff falls into that category. class

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Love it, grew up listening to it..love the older stuff like Johnny Cash(love Jackson, Love's been good to me and if You could read my mind ) and Dolly, (i have her song If on ipod) but like newer artists like Martina McBride, Colin Raye etc...

but i break out in a nasty red itch rash when i hear the type of country songs that bemoan the fact, his wife ran away with his best friend, stole his truck and dog too but he missed the dog the most!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I love it too! I recently discovered Jackson Browne and he is the bomb! He is quite like the Eagles, which is only a good thing! Dolly is great! I love that country sound on a guitar, beautiful. Such a pure sound. Makes me feel happy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mojoman

Nei Young - deffo
    Early Dylan- yep
    Hank Snr - the master
    Mr. Cash - Deffo
    Dolly - early stuff before the hype machine took over is surprisingly good and she's a very good writer and a great singer - can sing harmony to die for
    Jackson Browne - loved him 20 yrs ago and then went off him
    The Eagles - a bit too surgical for my taste but you cant deny they made great music - particularily the first 2 albums with Bernie Leadon.
    great female singers - Alison Kraus - Lee Ann Womack check out her version of Does my ring burn your finger or the Solomon Burke version or Buddy & Julie Miller - some great music out there we never get to hear on this side of the pond - some of it is truly sublime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lots of this kinda stuff on The Band's The Last Waltz...

Great song here by Shelby Lynne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=443tcqTHunI

Lucinda Williams has an awesome voice - it's a much stronger Courtney Love. Speaking of which, there are acts from the "indie" canon who'd also sit happily with some country acts - e.g. Throwing Muses, Mazzy Star, Jenny Lewis.

And of course there's REM.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

mars bar wrote: »
    I love it too! I recently discovered Jackson Browne and he is the bomb! He is quite like the Eagles, which is only a good thing! Dolly is great! I love that country sound on a guitar, beautiful. Such a pure sound. Makes me feel happy!
    jackson browne is a legend. Have some of his early stuff. brilliant.
    he wrote take it easy but didnt think much of it. the eagles put the final touches to it before recording it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Gotta say, I'm partial to good ol' Lynyrd Skynyrd. And I've always liked the Eagles. I like to listen to some of Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson's stuff too.

A couple of decent country rock collaborations are Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins (Fret to Fret or something?) and Eric Clapton with JJ Cale (The Road To Escondido).

Ardent wrote: »
    Gotta say, I'm partial to good ol' Lynyrd Skynyrd. And I've always liked the Eagles. I like to listen to some of Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson's stuff too.

A couple of decent country rock collaborations are Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins (Fret to Fret or something?) and Eric Clapton with JJ Cale (The Road To Escondido).

Both great albums, Ardent! There's also The Allman Brothers if ya like Lynard and of course, The Stones have a big country edge to them - Exile on Main St, Sticky Fingers & Let It Bleed in particular, great albums all!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Oh yeah, an honourable mention should also go to Wilco. Very much a country vibe to their earlier stuff - e.g., the albums A.M. and Summerteeth. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JetJadore

Yes for country rock. Gram Parsons (incl flying burrito brothers/international sub band/Byrds
    Hank williams etc.

Sunday 5th June'11 at the Village, Wexford Street - a seriously interesting night of country - not the usual Country & Irish waltz time crapola but some real country and psychobilly delivered with heart and determination!
    Acts include

N.C. Lawlor http://www.myspace.com/home#!/nclawlor TBC
    Moo http://www.reverbnation.com/widget_code/tune_widget_popup/artist_542619
    SpiritRiders http://www.reverbnation.com/widget_code/tune_widget_popup/artist_517319

All great performers and all FREE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yeah ,i grew up with a lot of country / rock stuff from the Byrds , onto CSNY ,Jackson Browne ,James Taylor ( sweet baby james' mud slide slim ) Eagles , Linda Ronstadt ( your no good ) Dylan , the Band and even the Stones ( far away eyes /miss you ) Beatles had some country influences along the way to (act naturally ). Yet you only have to get as far as 'country r ' .....and somebody wants to paint you as some hillbilly with no taste in music :p

one of my all time favs .....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Well worth checking these guys out, great band!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Gridlock wrote: »
    Well worth checking these guys out, great band!!;)

Totally agree. Criminally under rated band.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Don't think much of country most of the time, but I'm a really big Wilco fan. Like a bit of Jayhawks too.

Drive-By Truckers are another great band;

And the obligatories, mostly Neil Young and Steve Earl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Maybe not strictly country rock, but Daves playing sure as hell rocks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Nothing worse than bad Country Rock:(. But I love country rock thats well made. Nothings better

The Flying Burrito Brothers are a fav

along with the Byrds

Euphoria

Psychedelic country Rock -brilliant

• Advertisement

johntommy wrote: »
    Totally agree. Criminally under rated band.

Absolutely.... two wonderful songwriters in Gary Louris and Mark Olson, great to see them back again after a long hiatus, I wonder will they sneak a gig in here on their European tour...fingers crossed!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pardner

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I came in here purely to mention Drive By Truckers.

Excellent band, wonderful live..

• Advertisement

Advertisement