Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny to lead?

Options
  • 13-02-2009 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Would Enda Kenny do any better a job than Brian Cowen?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Well, Do you think he could do much worse?
    First time i saw cowen had any balls was when he stood up to the unions of the public sector and pressed ahead.

the fact that by doing so, he's going to get bitten in the ass is another thing altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Kenny couldn't lead a sing-song :(

- He deserves a fair share of the overall blame for offering the Irish people no alternative, I wish he would fcuk off to Brussels or Bahrain or, well anywhere else really.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Would have said yes until I saw the article in The Examiner last week.

I'll still stand over the opinion that he couldn't do any worse, but he wouldn't be much better if he thinks he should leave TD pensions, double-pay and expenses untouched, and the dismissive arrogance with which he said "It's always been that way" and "what do you want us to do ? give it back ?" reflects VERY badly on him.

Eamonn Gilmore for Taoiseach! OR let's get Pat Rabitte back!!!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    OR let's get Pat Rabitte back!!!

Damn straight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I'm all for the rabitte in a hat approach ,he seems the most honest these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I'm all for the rabitte in a hat approach ,he seems the most honest these days.

Is Gilmore not honest? Thats news to me!

I think Kenny will never be Taoiseach material coz hes too tepid - all he inspires is boredom...

And if hes only on 30% approval rating when we have arguably the worst government in history, well,that speaks volumes IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Ok most of you say Gilmore for Taoiseach, is this because of Labours policies or is it an American Idol, popularity contest, who has the strongest personality.
    Making Labour the controlling party in the government is a scary thought. I will say not a scary as leaving FF in there but i would think a FG and Labour may be the best with FG taking the main party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭VO

murfie wrote: »
    Ok most of you say Gilmore for Taoiseach, is this because of Labours policies or is it an American Idol, popularity contest, who has the strongest personality.
    Making Labour the controlling party in the government is a scary thought. I will say not a scary as leaving FF in there but i would think a FG and Labour may be the best with FG taking the main party.

Gilmore as Taoiseach no way - He would follow a red agenda , Nationalise our banks, Improve the health service, reduce taxes for the poor, screw up the free market economy we have fought valiantly for, he would probably even look to reduce the salaries of the fat cats in the civil service and the public sector. He might even start to punish the likes of seanie fitzpatrick & his cronies.

No way I am all for the status quo leave Biffo in there to lead us out of this mess after all he created it so he has moreknowledge of it then any other politician

VO wrote: »
    Gilmore as Taoiseach no way - He would follow a red agenda , Nationalise our banks, Improve the health service, reduce taxes for the poor, screw up the free market economy we have fought valiantly for, he would probably even look to reduce the salaries of the fat cats in the civil service and the public sector. He might even start to punish the likes of seanie fitzpatrick & his cronies.

No way I am all for the status quo leave Biffo in there to lead us out of this mess after all he created it so he has moreknowledge of it then any other politician

Hehe nice! your sarcasm is withering sir, good job! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ProperDeadly

Enda Kenny leading the country would be a disaster!!
    He has absolutely no charisma, and two and a half years as Minister For Tourism and Trade over ten years ago is hardly enough experience for the job!!

Brian Cowen should be left where he is, unless any other party can come up with viable solutions to our problems, instead of just criticising the current government.

• Advertisement

Is Gilmore not honest? Thats news to me!

I'm not dyslexic or anything ,just got gilmore and gormley names mixed up.
    Thought the green guy was merely a joke as leader and saying that I think rabbite is not a bad option.

Whatever we do ,we must make sure that theres no bickering eejits in government next time round. Slap the face off the current ministers and wake them all up.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I'm not dyslexic or anything ,just got gilmore and gormley names mixed up.
    Thought the green guy was merely a joke as leader and saying that I think rabbite is not a bad option.

Whatever we do ,we must make sure that theres no bickering eejits in government next time round. Slap the face off the current ministers and wake them all up.

Yeah I'd agree with that. The problem with Rabbite is that he put it out to the electorate that we would have been Fine Gael's whipping boy in an alternative Government, and thats the reason we didn't do great in 2007.
    I totally agree with Gilmore's strategy - play it cool and don't make any rash decisions. His motto speaks for itself: We are not Fianna Fail or Fine Gael - We are Labour :)

And regarding Gormley and Gilmore - they are at completely opposite ends of the credibility spectrum! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Kenny may well be Taoiseach in the future but he will never be a leader. I've listened to him speaking on many occasions and he just doesn't have what it takes. It's all very well to have good scriptwriters writing your speeches and trawling around for witticisms and barbed comments to put your point across but unless you are capable of injecting passion and emphasis at the right point, you might as well be a bored teenager at the back of the church, reciting the umpteenth decade of the rosary. The country needs leadership and Kenny, no matter how capable he may be, does not have the credibility to fit the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

bmaxi wrote: »
    Kenny may well be Taoiseach in the future but he will never be a leader. I've listened to him speaking on many occasions and he just doesn't have what it takes. It's all very well to have good scriptwriters writing your speeches and trawling around for witticisms and barbed comments to put your point across but unless you are capable of injecting passion and emphasis at the right point, you might as well be a bored teenager at the back of the church, reciting the umpteenth decade of the rosary. The country needs leadership and Kenny, no matter how capable he may be, does not have the credibility to fit the bill.

i agree with this , that fine gael are ahead in the polls is down to the state the country is in and that the present goverment is worse than terrible

the problem with replacing kenny is there is not all that much talent in fine gael , richard bruton while an impressive and clearly intelligent speaker on issues doesnt come across as leadership material either , the only one i can think of who inspires confidence is leo varadakar but the man would have very little broad appeal in a country that rates likability so high , he is far too snooty in demeanor to ever be electable as taoiseach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭dorothygale

Sure if you want charisma bring back Bertie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

paul larry wrote: »
    Would Enda Kenny do any better a job than Brian Cowen?

Enda Kenny doesn't inspire much confidence tbh. I really don't think the man would in any way be a solution to our problems. Bruton may be a better shout, certainly hes a more likeable and charismatic person who could inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Enda Kenny doesn't inspire much confidence tbh. I really don't think the man would in any way be a solution to our problems. Bruton may be a better shout, certainly hes a more likeable and charismatic person who could inspire confidence.

Don't know if Bruton the younger is all that much better, but he certainly appears to posses more leadership qualities.

My preference (by a considerable margin) would be for Shatter to become FG party leader

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Kenny last night on the news said he was looking forward to leading the largest party in the dail in the next government. i didnt hear him say taoiseach. did anyone else pick up on this or am i mistaken? has he realised people dont like him and is willing to let gilmore lead?

Sure if you want charisma bring back Bertie!

Charisma, obviously, is subjective. If you equate charisma with sleevenism then Ahern had it in bucketloads. Previous posters who have been close to Kenny say he does not lack charisma, merely can't project it. I'm prepared to accept that but what is needed today is an inspirational leader and Enda, sadly for him, will never be that.
    FG seem to have a knack of electing insipid leaders, the last leader of any real substance IMO, was Alan Dukes and they fell over themselves to get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Charisma, obviously, is subjective. If you equate charisma with sleevenism then Ahern had it in bucketloads.

What does sleevinism mean? Have never seen it before.
    FG seem to have a knack of electing insipid leaders, the last leader of any real substance IMO, was Alan Dukes and they fell over themselves to get rid of him.

+1

Alan Dukes is a man who I have a lot respect for. He brings class and intelligence to any debate I've seen him in.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    What does sleevinism mean? Have never seen it before.

I missed out on an e. A sleeveen is Irish slang, it means someone who is, at face value, plausible but is, in reality, sly, underhand, untrustworthy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I don't care who comes in.

First, we need to get Fianna FAIL out of office

Second, we need to get somebody qualified and competent in.
    If we can't do it from the current dead weight, we need to restructure the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I will never understand why the sheeple in this country become fixated on the individual rather than the party. American Idol sums it up perfectly. No wonder the country is f*cked.

Ardent wrote: »
    I will never understand why the sheeple in this country become fixated on the individual rather than the party. American Idol sums it up perfectly. No wonder the country is f*cked.

When I vote,it will be because of who I want to see working in the Dail.
    There isn't anything wrong with that. I never see any of the local politicians ,that doesn't mean they're not doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

i think the army should use its tank and plane and stage a coup

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its not a popularity contest - Bertie was apparently charismatic but one could hardly consider his government to be a success...

Kenny might be the most wooden, unlikeable git but if he is capable of taking on the golden circle in Ireland [ both in the banks and the public service/semi state bodies], establishing even the concept of proper regulation of the financial industry plus demanding accountability and at the same time getting our economy back to a more competitive footing which will mean taking on the service providers like the ESB and the various unions then who cares if he cant tell a joke properly?

This countrys political and economic system needs a revolution from top to bottom. Any government that does it is not going to be popular by the time theyre done no matter how popular they are going in.

Gilmore is more charismatic - but we need someone who can take on the unions, because like any group of spoilt children, they wont like discipline. And Labour cant be trusted with representing the Irish taxpayer in those discussions, given they tend to believe they exist to represent the unions themselves.

Its unlikely FG will have enough seats to get into power without Labour, but Labour need to be kept away from the driving seat. Its Kenny and FG or bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

When I vote,it will be because of who I want to see working in the Dail.
    There isn't anything wrong with that.

Yes, there is. TDs have to follow the party line. Hence their party and its manifesto are more important than the individual in question...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i think the army should use its tank and plane and stage a coup

We have a tank now?

Sand wrote: »
    Its unlikely FG will have enough seats to get into power without Labour, but Labour need to be kept away from the driving seat. Its Kenny and FG or bust.

Always considered enda kenny to be a rural politician ,making more resources available for Ireland ,as oppose to Dublin (would I be right about this ?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

nesf wrote: »
    We have a tank now?

ah no don,tell me don't even have a tank?
    maybe we could borrow one from germany perhaps-sure they have loads

Advertisement