Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scan Lines

• 13-02-2009 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps,

Just a question ; I'm scannign prints (not negs) and I notice these 'scan lines'

Any idea why/how they happen and any idea how to get rid of them ?

1D14EB839D544AE5889785DB286C3183.jpg

I'm using a lexmark scanner and I'm doing it at 600 dpi before knocking it down to 300 in photoshop. I think this gives more detail but I'm not 100% sure. Scanning is a bit experimental for me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

erm bumpety bump?

Anyone know ?

Also am I on the truman show as over 3 different fora I posted 3 different threads and the same issue has happened... odd... maybe Friday the 13th doesn't like me..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Scan at a higher res, see how the lines come out. Tbh, I'd be blaming the scanner until that proves me wrong.

You *do* have to remember though, your scanning twain/software will have a preset that will try to give you the 'proper' exposure on everything scanned. Try playing with what it sees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am sorry, but I cannot see any lines. Just red ones that are hand painted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I can see the lines. I would say they are across the whole image but are only noticable in the shadow sections.

First off ... I don't have a clue.

If it were me I would go through & check all the settings in the scanning software. Is it set to Photo & not Document? Do you have Grey Scale selected & not Black & White? I am not sure what the software looks like but that would be my first line of enquiry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Scan lines are the same as print lines. It's a small variation in each of the linear scans where auto-compensation by the image controller occurs. It's a tiny change per scan-line, but the high-contrast areas show it more than others.
    The scanner software/controller may have a RAW image-grab feature, or try troubleshooting by using a TWAIN application to determine the origin of the lines.

It's similar enough to the moire effect seen when newsprint images are scanned.
    Maybe try using a newsprint filter to descreen it or a smooth-tool with a horizontal bias to hide/remove the lines.
    http://www.scanhelp.com/288int/scontent/descreen.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Thanks people... and I here I was thinking it was a simple question but just that no one liked me =p

Great I will have to descreen-inate them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Try these two links for some info and advice on how to remove the lines:

http://www.skeller.ch/ps/fft_action.php

http://www.dvp.co.il/eyefidelitytools.html

HTH

Advertisement