Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of advice on areas of Sydney needed.

Options
  • 13-02-2009 3:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I mentioned in another thread on here that I'm currently in Melbourne and looking to move to Sydney,
    I've been here 3 years with my Aussie husband, love it, fab city, great weather (if you're Irish) but in saying all that - we fancy a change.
    My husband is targeting jobs first and fingers crossed something positive will pop up next week, he's at 4th round/final interview stages at the mo.

Anyway, we have our heart set on living in Balmain or Birchgrove (but on the closer to Darling Street side), if we can't rent a decent place there,
    I've been looking at the following other areas:

Rozelle - Balmain end
    Camperdown
    Annandale

Dulwich Hill - I thought this area was a bit deadsville (maybe it's the name) but a mate lives here and there's a decent little village
    Leichhardt - Not 100% sold on this area
    Paddington - I think this is going to be way too expensive as all the houses I put my eye on turn out to be $1750+ p.w. :mad:

We have a house here which we'll need to rent out and cover the balance of the mortgage costs so figured we really don't want to be spending more than say $700/750 per week on rent in Sydney, anymore and it's stupid - I already hate to be going from owner living back to renting but has to be done for the first while anyway..
    We like to rent a 2 bed house - older in style (aka one of the f*cking-gorgeous-ones-you-see-everywhere-in-Balmain style) as opposed to a newer apartment or townhouse style job.

Anyway - I know Sydney somewhat but not a lot - can any Sydney-heads on here offer any other good ideas for places I should add to my domain.com.au/rentals search?
    Looking for ideas on areas which are good on transport, village feel - or at least have a few decent shops and a pub/town Hotel etc.
    Husband would be based in the city and me - more than likely, if my cunning plan comes to fruition - would be in Surry Hills

Living areas which are a no-no are:
    Bondi
    Glebe I actually thought I'd like this place as I love Fitzroy/Brunswick St here (people told me they were similar), but I wasn't too thrilled with the area, dunno why, but it just did nothing for me.

Any advice much appreciated
    Cheers

P.S. If anyone knows of someone renting a 1 or 2 bed kick-ass house in Balmain - can you let me know? Ta! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Rozelle is good spot - very close to balmain.
    Camperdown and Annadale are okay spots
    I don't don't really know why you wouldn't pick glebe above these areas, they are all pretty similar
    Leichardt is very close to these again - very italian and a decent spot.

Other areas are Ultimo and Forest Lodge, close walk to city (10mins to Darling harbour)

Dulwich hill is suburbs rather than a happening town, not saying anything wrong with that, but depends on what you are looking for

I live in Newtown, and there are places around there that are fantastic, I live more St peters end, so away from hussle and bussle of king st, close to transport. -

If you like balmain then go for Rozelle. I wouldn't blame you at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Cheers for that. I hadn't heard of Forest Lodge, I'll check that out.
    I also have to check out Newtown for houses as I loved that area when I was there last time. My mate lived in Camperdown and often brought us to Newtown for drinks and food etc.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why I disliked Glebe..
    There's nothing wrong with it at all per-say, I saw there was a nice enough strip of shops and bars etc.. I think possibly because I just had it hyped up too much in my head to be very similar to an area which it wasn't.
    Everyone used to say to me; "Ooh if you like Brunswick St and it's feel, you'd like Glebe in Sydney as it's probably the closest match up there". I was just a bit let down then when I saw it.
    My husband felt the same. We drove through and sort of said 'Hmmm is that it?!' *damn those bas*ards who talked it up too much!*
    Maybe it still feels a bit 'studenty', I like going to live music gigs and more laid back bars and all that, but I dunno, it just came across a bit 'up and coming place to be in 5 years time' etc... I could be totally off the ball here.

That Balmain calling is still there, I love that place but I know we're going to land up there and not be able to find anywhere decent to live for less than $750 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

A friend of mine rents in Balmain a 2 bed apartment for 450pw inc a gym
    (Balmain shores)

You will be able to find something around that price I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Sammag wrote: »
    Cheers for that. I hadn't heard of Forest Lodge, I'll check that out.
    I also have to check out Newtown for houses as I loved that area when I was there last time. My mate lived in Camperdown and often brought us to Newtown for drinks and food etc.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why I disliked Glebe..
    There's nothing wrong with it at all per-say, I saw there was a nice enough strip of shops and bars etc.. I think possibly because I just had it hyped up too much in my head to be very similar to an area which it wasn't.
    Everyone used to say to me; "Ooh if you like Brunswick St and it's feel, you'd like Glebe in Sydney as it's probably the closest match up there". I was just a bit let down then when I saw it.
    My husband felt the same. We drove through and sort of said 'Hmmm is that it?!' *damn those bas*ards who talked it up too much!*
    Maybe it still feels a bit 'studenty', I like going to live music gigs and more laid back bars and all that, but I dunno, it just came across a bit 'up and coming place to be in 5 years time' etc... I could be totally off the ball here.

That Balmain calling is still there, I love that place but I know we're going to land up there and not be able to find anywhere decent to live for less than $750 :(

Forest Lodge is between the Parramatta road and Glebe, its more or less the same area camperdown/Harold park.

Balmain/Rozelle is good but expensive .......Drumoyne is an option.

Croydon and Burwood is very popular with Irish people.... I lived there for about 3 years my .......house was a large 3 BR townhouse (2003) with Double garrage and Shared pool. $580

Advertisement