Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ASSIGNMENT II - Depth Of Field

• 13-02-2009 3:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,
    Sorry for the delay in starting this but I've been trés biz-ay!
    Carrying on from the last assignment.

The Rules
    • Photo's are to be related to the given task.
    • Photo's must be taken within the week given.
    • Multiple posts/photo's allowed for the assignment.
    • Next task/subject to be choosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post :P).
    • No negative feedback allowed! Constructive comments are allowed.
    • Choosen subject/task has to have relevance towards the learning process
    • And the most important one: Enjoy yourself whilst you're at it, don't be afraid of showing your photos and hopefully get some wonderful results!!!

The Assignment - DEPTH OF FIELD
    What is DOF?
    • In optics, particularly as it relates to film and photography, the depth of field (DOF) is the portion of a scene that appears sharp in the image
    • In photography, the distance in front of and behind the subject that appears to be in focus
    • A short distance along the optical axis throughout which the specimen can be seen with sufficient clarity.
    • The regions in front of and behind the focused distance where the image remains in focus. With a greater the depth of field, more of the scene near to far is in focus. Lens aperture and scene lighting will greatly influence the DOF
    • The distance between a minimum and maximum plane in which a reader can read symbols of a specific dimension.
    • A measure of how much, and what depth, of the image is in focus.

Helpful links Depth Of Field-WiKi & Apeture-WiKi.

This weeks assignment will run from Friday 13/02/09 - Thursday 19/02/09(Thursday, so the winner can let everyone know the next assignment before the weekend/on Friday)

Have fun and go Crazy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I'm lost!.

Every photo (well almost) has Depth of Field.:confused:

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Covey wrote: »
    I'm lost!.

Every photo (well almost) has Depth of Field.:confused:

T.

You're right but I think the assignments are just meant to give people a change to play around with things like DOF. whether they try to maximize it or minimize it. It seems quite open to interpretation. I would be more inclined to minimize DOF for this assignment though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would not limit the assignment to the minimal DoF - it is also question of hardware you have. I'd love to see some landscapes at F32 or F64.
    Playing with OOF object placement, bookeh colourful splashes... ;-)
    Photography has only few creative tools, but the DoF is the main one (for me). Let's keep it as much vague as possible. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

ThOnda wrote: »
    Playing with OOF object placement, bookeh colourful splashes... ;-)
    Photography has only few creative tools, but the DoF is the main one (for me).
    This is sort of what I was going for. You could try to convey and push the dof in your picture. For example:

generic_image_view.php?ID=7271

bone_other.jpg

camera-dof-cars-fast-360.jpg

I'm not trying to limit it to these exact type of shots but that's sort of what I had in mind. The likes of a landscape shot but instead of having a perfect landscape shot, get a signpost perfectly in focus while the mountains being a slight blur in the background.

Another tutorial here.

Hope that helps to clarify..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

*listens to the sounds of an army of nifty-fifties being clunk-clicked onto camera bodies*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Well, since I did started this lot... I shall contribute! :o

First try today - shamlesly stolen from one of the examples and also including my little donkey...

Will try some outdoorsy ones during the weekend....

3275917911_db8c5d3fa5_m.jpg 3276735736_059736f605_m.jpg

3276734436_c91c4b0df3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I know the rules say that photos should be taken in the given week but surely as its a learning experience shouldn't we be able to submit images taken in the past?

Just seems that way to me (and particularly as I'm out sick with a sore neck and can't take any photos this week... I'd still like to take part)

Colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

1509B247488C4905B747B0C1F3AF6729-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

mrboswell wrote: »
    I know the rules say that photos should be taken in the given week but surely as its a learning experience shouldn't we be able to submit images taken in the past?

Just seems that way to me (and particularly as I'm out sick with a sore neck and can't take any photos this week... I'd still like to take part)

Colm

Out sick is the perfect chance to take photos... Especially one about shallow dof! Can be just about any object...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

i hope this fits the breif... nooommm

3276837915_c892552308.jpg

• Advertisement

Out sick is the perfect chance to take photos... Especially one about shallow dof! Can be just about any object...

It would be if I could hold the camera to my face....

Is there no leeway on it??;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

mrboswell wrote: »

Is there no leeway on it??;)

Isn't there always a dispensation for the manflu :P

Mocking is catching....

Beware of the dreaded manflu...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 brain erection

hope this is ok :cool:...

a5hv6f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

elven wrote: »
    *listens to the sounds of an army of nifty-fifties being clunk-clicked onto camera bodies*

I don't think mine has been taken off yet. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 galwayniamh

ok I've no idea how to put a THANKS on these posts. any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

There's a button down the right of each post, beside the 'quote' button. I don't think you can thank people till you have 10 or 20 posts.

Doesn't look like this assignment took off very well :S

Nisio - you are this weeks winner! Your turn now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

DSC_2411_thumb_1.jpg

Here's a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

DSC_0534.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

One from the weekend independently from this Assignment:
    3317956454_28899b344b.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement