Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up wireless internet on a different IP range

Options
  • 13-02-2009 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey people,

Just gonna see if anyone can help me get my head around something im trying to get up and running.

I have a network setup on IP range 192.65.65.x
    To access the net all machines go through my firewall. Now everything is working fine there.

What i need to do is setup a router on the inside to broadcast wireless internet, now i want this router to sit on IP range 192.168.1.x rather than on the main network range of 192.65.65.x

My understanding is that once the wireless router is plugged into the switch on the network it should get net into it and just broadcast it. I have configured my firewall to let traffic out from 192.168.1.x but still having no luck.

Problem im seeing is the firewall cant seem to talk to the router. My understanding is that once NAT is enabled thay should have no problem seeing each other.

Anyone have any idea what im missing here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You must connect the wifi router to the rest of the network via the WAN port and then ensure it has the DHCP server is enabled in it to serve addresses in the range you want.

The wifi router will have a WAN IP in the the 192.65.65.x range and therefore the connection to the net should route properly but you may come accross some double NAT issues if you are trying to use bit-torrent etc via wifi. You will not be able to see computers on the other side of the network though with this setup by default

MC

Advertisement