Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek XI - Building the Enterprise

• 13-02-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭

Why the feck is the enterprise built on the ground in the new film:confused:

Surely the NX-01 set a precident of being built in a space dock and this is a backwards step, no? I thought we'd be a bit more advanced than still using welding torches too?

Also can anyone tell me, simple yes/no, will the film explain why the enterprise looks totally different to the original. (don't want to ruin film too much:p but if not explained this seems ridiculous)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

They have a bigger budget and better special effects, I think it would be a seriously bad idea to have the minimalist design of the original in an intended 2009 sci fi blockbuster.

Yeah I thought about that too when I first saw the trailer. I dont know maybe they were just lazy or liked the scenery, or they didn't want aliens to see them building it in space as it wouldn't be a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

They have a bigger budget and better special effects, I think it would be a seriously bad idea to have the minimalist design of the original in an intended 2009 sci fi blockbuster.
    +1.

Like the Klingon head ridges... I cringe everytime I think of that stupid explanation ST:Enterprise tried to come up with.

"Because it's not 1966 anymore" is the only explanation needed tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

well ds9 had worf next to old style klingons. He said that they don't talk about it, so officially brought it into cannon as more than make up differences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Why the feck is the enterprise built on the ground in the new film:confused:

Surely the NX-01 set a precident of being built in a space dock and this is a backwards step, no? I thought we'd be a bit more advanced than still using welding torches too?

Also can anyone tell me, simple yes/no, will the film explain why the enterprise looks totally different to the original. (don't want to ruin film too much:p but if not explained this seems ridiculous)

Its bollox (also it makes it look cool (with a k) but ye your right a load of ****e, i mean i would have loved to see a high budget rendition of the utopia planatia fleet yards at mars)
    Goodshape wrote: »
    +1.

Like the Klingon head ridges... I cringe everytime I think of that stupid explanation ST:Enterprise tried to come up with.

"Because it's not 1966 anymore" is the only explanation needed tbh.

ENT's explenation made perfect sense

So "slick" and areo(the choc bar)-dynamic makes it look better? are you telling me if it looked the the orginal ship people would see the trailer and then refuse to watch it based on that?

They ship looks crap - simple as. I can understand them updating the interiror i suppose although they could have just done what ENT did used the orginal TOS set i mean why change the way it looks?

and what really pissed me off is how the inside of the ship looks different, i kindof understand the consoles and computers being different but the size and layout of the bridge being different? i mean i wonder how bad the sickbay and transporter room are going to look....

well ds9 had worf next to old style klingons. He said that they don't talk about it, so officially brought it into cannon as more than make up differences
    Always considered that episode, and that comment, to be a bit of a joke (as in a funny joke, not a shameful joke. It's a very good episode).
    User45701 wrote: »
    Rose-tinted specs FTW.

It's not like they've burnt and destroyed the old show. The 1960's version of Star Trek is still there, still as good as ever, still a little bit sparse and 'cardboard cut-out' looking.

I'm not overly thrilled that they've decided to go back and 'redo' the original setting and characters... but it is a redo. Worst thing would be for them to stick too rigidly to a 40 year old vision of what these people, ships and aliens should look like.

Some things obviously can't (or at least shouldn't) be changed... but cheap models and cardboard sets? **** that.

• Advertisement

So "slick" and areo(the choc bar)-dynamic makes it look better? are you telling me if it looked the the orginal ship people would see the trailer and then refuse to watch it based on that?

lol, it does look like an aero bar in space :D,

but I think the average joe soap (a) doesn't care about historical consistency in trek, and (b) would be unimpressed if they were to stick to the original design which was limited by budget and technical constraints

consider

47453_f520.jpg

with

enterprise_orbit_1080.jpg

uuurrgghh, those nacelles!!!

Besides as a trek obsessive I like the update, a new ship is something to look forward to in trek movies, its a kind of entrenched legacy by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The old ones is better looking IMO

I'm not overly thrilled that they've decided to go back and 'redo' the original setting and characters... but it is a redo. Worst thing would be for them to stick too rigidly to a 40 year old vision of what these people, ships and aliens should look like.

Some things obviously can't (or at least shouldn't) be changed... but cheap models and cardboard sets? **** that.

I see what yoou mean and i dont want cardboard but i also dont like the shape/size of things being changed.

Actually i have been complaining allot about this in allot of threads but i should be the last person doing it because i love BSG. i mean i have never in my life loved a tv show like i love bsg it truly is amazing and that has been changed i mean ive seen the old cylons and the old basestars and it shows how a remake can do so much for a show.

I like lost, i like fringe i just dont think ol JJ can do trek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

...I love bsg it truly is amazing ...
    and it shows how a remake can do so much for a show.
    You're right. BSG is amazing and when I first heard they were going to do a remake I thought it was a really stupid idea. How very wrong I was.
    As regards the new Trek IMHO we need to keep our hopes up and our expectations low ;)

why do you think im finding as many faults as i can :)

• Advertisement

Always considered that episode, and that comment, to be a bit of a joke (as in a funny joke, not a shameful joke. It's a very good episode).

Indeed a very good episode. And yeah it of course was a joke but it also got the writers out of having to make an reasoning for it with Worf there.
    I don't think Enterprise could have explained it better TBH.

As for the set, this movie also has to appeal to new fans. Some of whom will never have seen TOS.
    Also cop on, it is 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I love the original Trek. I was very much in favour of restarting the franchise, but appalled at the thought of recasting the original characters (Shatner is the man).
    But, of course, they are are going to redesign sets, costumes and props from the '60's. It's ridiculous to expect them not to - I'm impressed by how much they kept.
    A bigger concern to me is interfering with with established Trek history. There i s no mention of Finnegin, Mitchell or Piper. The villains are Romulans, thus changing "Balance of Terror".
    But, of course, they bound to change things for storytelling effect. Maybe they underestimated how fans would react. Maybe they didn't care. Or maybe Orci and Kurtzman are telling the truth - The movie involves time travel. Someone (the villains, I would imagine) have screwed the timeline and this is not your namby-pamby TNG Trek where everything goes back to normal at the end of each episode. History gets changed forever.
    Let's give the movie a chance - except for two things Sulu is Japanese not Korean and Simon Pegg should not get work, let alone in Star Trek (where is that attitude he had to the Star Wars prequels now).

The movie involves time travel. Someone (the villains, I would imagine) have screwed the timeline and this is not your namby-pamby TNG Trek where everything goes back to normal at the end of each episode. History gets changed forever.
    Bingo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just went on to the official website and i have to say, apart fromt he website being pretty cool (if slow) I just watched the trailers and im pretty impressed. Im not sure who Kirk is played by, well Chris Pine but he is not someone im familiar with, anyway just from the trailers he seems like an interesting choice. I love the choice for Spock.

Even if it does not follow the Star Trek timeline properly, thats fine with me. Seems to be more like a good action flick to me.

I would have liked to see a good Deep space 9 movie set during the Dominion War.

DS9 is the only other series I love. It had a war in it.

TNG and Voyager were seven seasons of "stick a pin in his hair make up".

Enterprise was decent but the whole temporal cold war was muck.

See the pattern. No Berman = Good Trek.

Hey i loved TNG and while there was plenty not to like about Voyager, i still liked it for the most part and especially when the Borg were involved.

Enterprise was for the most part, muck and i missed out on the last season. Im currently watching re-runs on Virgin so eventually will catch up with were i left off.
    The temporal thing is rubbish, in fact for the most part i hate star trek episodes involving time travel. The only good one was the DS9 ep were they went back to the days of Kirk.

Got to disagree with you about the Borg in Voyager, Saruman.

In "Q Who" and "The Best Of Both Worlds" they were class villains. But after that they just turned run-of-the-mill. It was laziness, as though the writers thought just putting the Borg on screen every now and again was enough.
    The Queen was a terrible idea too.
    Still, Frakes managed to put together a decent movie that is head and shoulders above the other three TNG movies (although that doesn't say alot. does it)

borg post tng are weak shells of what they were.
    Come on, an intrepid able to hold its own against numerous encounters.

1 cube decimates the fleet at
    wolf 359 (admittedly an aged fleet) and another gets to earth in first contact, taking out akira anti-borg ships and the defiant. Voyager actually plans attacks on tactical cubes! Come on!!

As for first contact? Good movie but with massive plot holes and logic gaps.

So the "new" enterprise is just an update for the film and not in any way story related. Why does it look so ****ing stupid then:confused:

Well in fairness, Voyager had the advantage of en Ex borg on board so in the same way Picard knew the weakness of a Cube in first contact after only a few weeks of being a Borg, 7 of 9 had 20 odd years of knowledge. Once picard arrived in first contact it did not take very long to destroy the cube.

Was that tactical cube not damaged anyway? Voyager took advantage of species 8472 weakening the Borg.

• Advertisement

Ever notice how the Borg never came near Deep Space Nine?

Because Sisko would've baitin' da livin' daylights out of them. On his own. In an EVA suit.

And Abrams Enterprise isn't all that different to the original. Plus the alterations are story related because of what happens to the USS Kelvin.

Here's the three ships (TOS, Movies, New Movie) side by side for comparison :
    http://img.trekmovie.com/images/st09/st09ent2_compare.jpg

Not much to be getting upset about if you ask me. The nacelles are a little clunky but aside from that it's near enough the exact same ship - and unmistakably the Enterprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

enterprise_orbit_1080.jpg
    OOOOOOH! Shiny! The old one reminded me of a toy I used to have that would spit out orange discs from the front of it:D

=-=

Loved DS9, as Quark, and the tailor Garak helped the plots not goto plan, like happy-happy Voyager and TNG.

the_syco wrote: »
    OOOOOOH! Shiny! The old one reminded me of a toy I used to have that would spit out orange discs from the front of it:D

=-=

Loved DS9, as Quark, and the tailor Garak helped the plots not goto plan, like happy-happy Voyager and TNG.

I still have that toy in the attic, minus the disc, plus it's not in not in one piece. nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I still have that toy in the attic, minus the disc, plus it's not in not in one piece. nuts.
    LOL, aye. Took it apart more than once to figure out how it worked, and to unstick the pennies.

Plus the alterations are story related because of what happens to the USS Kelvin.

That may be acceptable then:p
    st09ent2_compare.jpg

The nacelles look ridiculous, the main hull is far to heavy looking at the front and extends to far forward of the neck and the tapering of the hull looks terrible. No name/registery on the underside the saucer either.
    It just looks "wrong" IMO

It's kinda like making Spock black or asian, essentially it would be the same but it just wouldn't work:pac:

another problem is that the angle of the hull in relation to the saucer section is a bit off and this is compounded by the angle of the deflector dish which looks slightly out of alignment with the hull. The nacelles are great in their own unique way imo but they are way too close to the saucer section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

I like the look of the new one, its all shiny and new .... yay for the 21st century effects artists :D

I think it looks great.

You know if you you guys had worked a little harder in life, you could have been over in Hollywood designing this new Enterprise for Abrams or even directing it instead of him!!! :rolleyes:

I'm mulling over my response to the comment that only a white guy could play Spock.

• Advertisement

I think it looks great.

You know if you you guys had worked a little harder in life, you could have been over in Hollywood designing this new Enterprise for Abrams or even directing it instead of him!!! :rolleyes:

I'm mulling over my response to the comment that only a white guy could play Spock.

Some people want the old one only.
    I imagine that they threw the same hissy fits for the refitted Enterprise of the movies.

Yes let us all call for 60's effects and production quality. That way only "true" fans, who were there maaaan, will appreciate it and have trek get no new fans (who are used to proper effects).
    that was Trek can finally die and only be the ground of nerds drooling over "Randy" Yeoman Rand

Advertisement