Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek XI - Building the Enterprise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Some people want the old one only.
    I imagine that they threw the same hissy fits for the refitted Enterprise of the movies.

Yeah but at least that makes sense. Upgraded/ replaced the ship. The whole time moving forward thing:D:D

At least when they made Enterprise there was an effort to make the tech look closer to today and less advanced then TOS. Granted the computer screen etc were more up to date but I think it was attempted quite well in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

And to hell with Chris Nolan's "character driven" Batman while we are at it, eh.
    Only Adam West is the true Batman. :P

Guys, they are breathing new life into a franchise that has been poo'd on for years (except DS9 - which escaped because it was generally ignored) by its producers.

The old designs do not work for a modern movie. It's not a comment on the the original series, it's a fact. The original series is the only one that still picks up new fans to this day. Not TNG, whose endless repeats are only watched by it's fans.

As much as I was against the idea of recasting the original characters, it makes sense. It's the only series that has real respect outside of the fans. Yes, it gets mocked for cheesy sets and the Kirk sex thing, but people know it. That's what will draw a new audience. Sure, Patrick Stewart is a great thespian, but movie goers didn't give a toss.

They've changed the ship slightly. So what. I see no complaints that Kirk is now two inches taller, Sulu is not Japanese and Scotty's is nearly bald.

Anyway none of it matters because ALIENS VS. MONSTERS 3D will own 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

enterprise_orbit_1080.jpg
    Just looking at this -- I don't think the above is an actual picture of the new Enterprise. It's close but there are differences to the one I posted above (which I nabbed from TrekMovie.com and is definitely an official picture).

Look at the bottom of the secondary hull and the position of the nacelle struts.

Anyway... back to the picture I posted... one of the guys who worked on the design responded to some criticism (I think the article is on TrekMovie somewhere) by saying the angle and perspective of the shot makes the nacelles appear closer to the saucer section than they actually are. It's the same in the TOS and movie ship images I posted -- similar perspective and the nacelles look too close in all of them.

His point being, that the nacelles do clear the saucer section on the 'new' ship, just like they always have (it's in the Trek spaceship design 'bible' that they always clear the saucer section for fairly obvious safety reasons... the new guys haven't broken that rule, despite what the image appears to show).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Anyway none of it matters because ALIENS VS. MONSTERS 3D will own 2009.

im torn between wanting the movie to fail and wanting it to do well. if i think its ****e then i want it to fail badly because if it does well id expect JJ to do another and it to be just as bad. If the movie is in good taste then i hope they keep going and revive the franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I like this rendering someone did.
    star_trek_poster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

its incredibly good, although I don't like the industrial aesthetic of it but thats just down to taste.

What was it rendered on? Lightwave, MAYA?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

No idea, i just found it on google. Looks better than the images (screenshots) shown though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

That is totally friggin awesome!!

Very nice but again -- and I don't mean to be pedantic -- I don't think that's the new ship.

Same as before, the secondary hull, nacelle struts, neck and more are different. Image I posted has a much smoother (less 'industrial') look to it.

Saruman wrote: »
    Well in fairness, Voyager had the advantage of en Ex borg on board so in the same way Picard knew the weakness of a Cube in first contact after only a few weeks of being a Borg, 7 of 9 had 20 odd years of knowledge. Once picard arrived in first contact it did not take very long to destroy the cube.

Was that tactical cube not damaged anyway? Voyager took advantage of species 8472 weakening the Borg.

1 ex Borg versus Billions of actual Borg

hmmmmm

the Borg Cube in FC had over 60% damage to its hull (or something)
    and needed a concerted attack from a fleet of modern starships to destroy it.

Voyager should have been ASSimiliated so bloody often

• Advertisement

Voyager should have been ASSimiliated so bloody often

+1
    Pic

/right click
    set as background
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Every time I see pictures of the new ship I always think
    "Hmmm, miniature Enterprise C...."

compare-ncc-1701-c.jpg

Well in fairness, Voyager had the advantage of en Ex borg on board so in the same way Picard knew the weakness of a Cube in first contact after only a few weeks of being a Borg, 7 of 9 had 20 odd years of knowledge. Once picard arrived in first contact it did not take very long to destroy the cube.

Was that tactical cube not damaged anyway? Voyager took advantage of species 8472 weakening the Borg.

The cube in FC had "Sustained heavy damage to its outer hull with flucatations in her power grid"

The tatical cube in VOY was undamaged when voyager attacked (it should have just used its holding beam and beam cutter which seemed to have vanished after TNG)

You might be thinking of when VOY attacked a sphere that been crippled by an ion storm

User45701 wrote: »
    The cube in FC had "Sustained heavy damage to its outer hull with flucatations in her power grid"

The tatical cube in VOY was undamaged when voyager attacked (it should have just used its holding beam and beam cutter which seemed to have vanished after TNG)

You might be thinking of when VOY attacked a sphere that been crippled by an ion storm

QFT

Also FC was in the middle of the Dominion War?
    So the cube had to fight its way through a very prepared, armed, experienced and battle hardened alpha quadrent.

Also how many fleets would it have had to go through to reach Earth?
    On top of that, Sol would be one of the most heavily defended systems in the Federation (if not the most)

So one normal cube does that much damage and Voyager can take on the collective at any time they wish??
    Come on.

The Borg were the most watered down force in Trek.

Back on original topic?
    Was it ever mentioned that capital ships were created in space based ship yards?
    We already know tha the Enterprise was capable of atmospheric flight

Yes but the uss constutation was constructed at mars and it was the first ship of its class, they mention the numberi think enterprise was the 3rd or 4th with only a total of less than 10 of that class in early TOS.

also unknown to most the above ship CAN seperate its saucer section although there is no advance control or manovering it would be essentially dead in space but it would allow the crew to survive a warp core breech

User45701 wrote: »
    also unknown to most the above ship CAN seperate its saucer section although there is no advance control or manovering it would be essentially dead in space but it would allow the crew to survive a warp core breech

Seperate as in blow charges situated in the "neck" wasn't it? Irreversible. Also I heard somewhere that the "neck" was mainly one big water storage tank at that stage, dunno if that's right though.

dunno about that but heres some trivia, in the 80s they were originally going to have water tanks with dolphins in them on the tng enterprise to act as "navigation." Dolphins were popular in the late 80s and early 90s. They couldn't go through with it due to budget constraints.

dunno about that but heres some trivia, in the 80s they were originally going to have water tanks with dolphins in them on the tng enterprise to act as "navigation." Dolphins were popular in the late 80s and early 90s. They couldn't go through with it due to budget constraints.

That was a terrible idea, as proven by SeaQuest

absolutely! I think the budget constraints were a blessing in disguise, the borg as insectoid robots, no way.

Ha ha, I remember that, it was Shoite

• Advertisement

absolutely! I think the budget constraints were a blessing in disguise, the borg as insectoid robots, no way.

Well that would have fit in with the Hive mentality a bit more, but assimilation would have been strange.

I think that they can out on the better side there, let the insects where they belong......

At the end of Jonny Rico's gun

**** you JJ

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/does-star-trek-need-more-rock-n-roll-the-writers-thought-so.php

i didnt read the whole atricle as it started to drift in spoilers *warning*

Quote:

"Does Star Trek need more rock 'n' roll? The writers thought so"

"This seems to confirm SCI FI Wire's impression of early Star Trek footage, which screened for select press in November and which felt as much like Star Wars as old-school Trek."

I always thought star wars and old school trek where different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

This is the first time i'v seen the new style old Enterprise and I love it. It is still loyal to the old design but it looks much more realistic.

You may hate it because its changing something that is iconic in tv history but imagine a batman film if Christian Bale wore the original style bat costume. Imagine the batmobile from the original tv show driving around the streets of Gotham in The Dark Knight.

This could bring a whole new fan base to kids today. Look what a remake of Optimus Prime did for Transformers. Little kids are now running around loving transformers without ever seeing an 80's cartoon. Star Trek may finally become COOL again........ or at least cool.

And I'm very hesitant to have any faith in a JJ abrams film. Cloverfield was regretful to watch. A waste of my time.

chamlis wrote: »
    Every time I see pictures of the new ship I always think
    "Hmmm, miniature Enterprise C...."

compare-ncc-1701-c.jpg

Stunning ship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

wow, i thought i was a big trek fan till i read this thread.you guys are hardcore.

a few pionts to consider though if i may...

the borg cube in frist contact may have arrived in our solar system without meeting any other ships via a trans warp corridor, the same way voyager returned.

voyager was able to defeat the borg time and again because the borg canot come up with new tactics or analsye others tactics. they have to assimilate rather than study. which is why the needed a truce with voyager when the encountered speices 8472.

at wolf 359 the fleet used brute force whereas picard and janeway used thier minds.

at least thats how i always seen it.

i will run away and hide now in case ive upset someone :)

I never paid much attention to Voyager's later seasons but the Borg allways had the ability to analyze and adapt, afair. I.e. New tactics were part of their strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Well, the first Enterprise was constructed in orbit (NX 01), we also see the Voyager under costruction in space-dock in a flashback, so it stands to reason that it should, but these things were capable of landing & taking off again, so it shouldn't matter...also, it's a fraking film...as long as it's entertaining, who cares, right?

it's not as if the Enterprise will be on the ground past the start of the film anyway, so it's really a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Well, the first Enterprise was constructed in orbit (NX 01), we also see the Voyager under costruction in space-dock in a flashback, so it stands to reason that it should, but these things were capable of landing & taking off again, so it shouldn't matter...also, it's a fraking film...as long as it's entertaining, who cares, right?

it's not as if the Enterprise will be on the ground past the start of the film anyway, so it's really a moot point.

yeah, exactly. I hope this scene goes down as iconic in the annals of cinema history, like the opening scene of STAR WARS and such and such.

I wanna see the thing taking off, now that would be bloody cool.

As for the Borg/Transward corridor? The Enterprise was patrolling the neutral zone border. they had plenty of warning that the Borg were coming

(another screw up in voyager) the Borg had a corridor right next to Earth but keep sending 1 ship?

The borg were always able to adapt, one of their key strengths. Look at their drone shields, able to adapt to new weapons after a few shots.
    Janeway had one ship (and an Intrepid at that) against the entire collective.
    Picard used his knowledge to destroy a severly damaged Borg cube with an armada in tow.

• Advertisement

soups05 wrote: »
    wow, i thought i was a big trek fan till i read this thread.you guys are hardcore.

a few pionts to consider though if i may...

the borg cube in frist contact may have arrived in our solar system without meeting any other ships via a trans warp corridor, the same way voyager returned.

voyager was able to defeat the borg time and again because the borg canot come up with new tactics or analsye others tactics. they have to assimilate rather than study. which is why the needed a truce with voyager when the encountered speices 8472.

at wolf 359 the fleet used brute force whereas picard and janeway used thier minds.

at least thats how i always seen it.

i will run away and hide now in case ive upset someone :)

aaaah I'm so angry right now!:p Well no not really. Picard used his mind definately but Janeway?! Janeway's solutions were always really drastic and relied on brute force. Get invisible parasite aliens to leave the ship, ok fly into two binary stars even though it will probably destroy the ship! Fix some power conduit after an attack (I can't remember which episode but...), ah run through flames and get severely burned, the doc will fix me up anyway.
    Voyager was just script writers in space with deus ex super powers.

In order to become hardcore you must absorb obscure trek trivia, have a stalkerish knowledge of cast members, including guest appearances, have a collection of star trek memorabilia large enough to fill several museums and wear a star fleet uniform everyday while believing that Star Trek is real and not a tv show.

Advertisement