Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek XI - Building the Enterprise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

3 months 6 days 8oth of may ithink.

i wonder will you see many people walk out of the cinema during it (or storming out)

or...

and try as i did i could not find a clip on you tube of that brilliant scene where peter griffin is in the cinema and then just stands up shouts "DONE!" and walks out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

no. i'm totally serious, and Enterprise was also the best series of Trek there was.

User45701 wrote: »
    and try as i did i could not find a clip on you tube of that brilliant scene where peter griffin is in the cinema and then just stands up shouts "DONE!" and walks out
    what film was he watching?

ive been trying to remember for 2 hours, i even watched 2 random eps from season 5 because i thought it was in there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I was looking up a few things I am hoping will be referenced in the new movie. In particular I'm hoping some mention is made of the Kirk family's life on Tarsus IV. I found this trivia on the wikipedia entry for "The Conscience of the King".
    • It marks Grace Lee Whitney's quiet departure from the series, as her character, Yeoman Rand, can be seen entering the bridge. :(
    • According to the USS Defiant's computer records shown briefly onscreen in the Star Trek: Enterprise 2-part episode "In a Mirror, Darkly", communications officer Hoshi Sato of the Enterprise (NX-01) and her husband Takashi Kimura are among the 4,000 colonists executed by Kodos.:cool:

Holy Smokes!!!

I just found out why Grace Lee Whitney left Star Trek.
    I don't know if I'm allowed to discuss that here, but I'm shocked.
    I never knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

Holy Smokes!!!

I never knew that.

So, why did she leave? Send me a PM if you don't want to discuss it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Holy Smokes!!!

I never knew that.

Crap:eek:

so much for the vision of an enlightened future :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    So, why did she leave? Send me a PM if you don't want to discuss it here.
    "she was sexually assaulted by an executive associated with the series"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Lee_Whitney#Star_Trek

She did come back for a few movies, a Voyager anniversary episode, and an episode of Star Trek: New Voyages.

Goodshape wrote: »

She did come back for a few movies, a Voyager anniversary episode, and an episode of Star Trek: New Voyages.

hardly the point - she was basically sacked for being raped :mad:

• Advertisement

I didn't say anything about it being "the point".

OK, I don't like to compare different things, but here's my two cents.
    The Original Series: This was absolutely of it's time, with larger than life characters, and great chemestry between Kirk, Spock & Bones. I started watching in the 70s, as a child. Even now, watching it, almost every episode has a good decent plot. Maybe the sets are a bit cardboard, maybe the dialogue is a bit rubbish, but I forgive it all this.
    The Animated Series: Barely remember it.
    The Next Generation: They tried to make this a bit more realistic, putting Picard in charge, and relegating Kirk to First Officer. Suprise of the series for me was Data. At first I thought he was Spock, but he became much more than that. After a while, they realised that they'd forgotten Bones, so they brought in Polaski. They had a budget of $1 million per episode, which was huge at the time, and a strong cast of actors.
    Deep Space 9: Perhaps my favourite of all, especially in the early days, when it was all about politics and power struggles. I felt it weakened when they brought in Worf & The Defiant. It was originally intended that Lauren Ro would be a main character, but Michelle Forbes turned it down to concentrate on her movie career.......
    Voyager: Hmm, I watched it, but I never really got into it. I never quite believed any of the characters.
    Enterprise: This was doomed from the start. Reed & Tucker didn't have any natural chemistry, so all their scenes together seemed forced. T'Pol was simply Seven Of Nine. Flox was good. Brining in Riker & Troi for the final ever episode was just insulting.

Just one thing on the Klingon costumes, I agree that they should have just accepted that special effects have advanced since the 60s. That ridiculous story about genetic engineering can be debunked by one character. Kayless, the Emperor. He was in the original series as an old-style Klingon, in that episode with Abraham Lincoln, and he was in The Next Generation, as a modern Klingon.

great post i agree all the way except on the lastpart. Kaylas couldnt have been in TOS he was dead for thousands of years. It was kaylas who killed the klingon gods wasent it? or he was atleast the guy who overthre Molok? oh no wait that was SG1 0 who was that ruler of the klingon homeworld before kaylas killed him?.

Are you thinking of Kor- The Dahar master - he was in TOS?

Kahless has been in both TOS and TNG, though one was a 'recreation' and the other a clone, or something like that.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Kahless_the_Unforgettable

Ziggy

I agree with some of what you say.
    Enterprise and Voyager were pants.
    Worf did nothing for DS9, but I felt the series stayed strong throughout. Defiant was a cool ship. I also liked the themes of politics and spirituality. I loved the entire series.
    I strongly disagree with your TNG views and that TOS 'was of it's time'. TOS stands up to repeat viewing and even picks up new fans today. It's fun, funny, exciting and gets its message across. TNG is dull and repetative:(. Picard talked endlessly while sipping his tea, whereas Kirk tore in, phasers blazing and boots flying and got down to work - taking names, snogging foxtresses and scadoodling off to finish up the day with a bit wisdom and banter with ol' Spock. :cool:

burger king? ****ING BURGER KING?
    !"!!!!!""£$£!$£$!!¬$"£%"%^V"!BG%""BG

http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/burger-king-beams-onto-th.php

if there is any product placent in the movie ill go ****ing nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Matrix 1 had product placement, still it would suck for burger king to feature in ST. It would compromise the universe, they've gone beyond all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Like the way you went nuts over the product placement in the other TOS movies?

It's no big deal tbh.

The Dark Knight had a Burger King deal.. didn't compromise the movie whatsoever.

Though I did think it was a bit silly with the posters around town... can't quite picture Bruce Wayne sitting down to enjoy a flame grilled whopper and chocolate shake at the end of a days crime fighting.

The Dark Knight had a Burger King deal.. didn't compromise the movie whatsoever.

Though I did think it was a bit silly with the posters around town... can't quite picture Bruce Wayne sitting down to enjoy a flame grilled whopper and chocolate shake at the end of a days crime fighting.

• Advertisement

every blockbuster has those ads.:rolleyes:

relax, it is not an issue - other trek movies did that to

Vokes wrote: »
    Like the way you went nuts over the product placement in the other TOS movies?

It's no big deal tbh.

i thought batman was set in kinda modern times?

i only had a 33k modem when the undiscovered county came out (atleast i think it was a 33k) but the web was not what it is now and i dont even remember seing any product placement in it. Ive never looked out for it in IV but it would make sence if there was product placement in IV.

So i dont care if burger king have instores add's or whatever i really just dont want to see any product placement in the movie itself.

its star trek ffs (or is it?) i dont know what to expect from this movie, i havent watched the latest trailer as i dont want stuff to be spoiled and ive stopped reading about the movie i just read the ****e that JJ and some of the actors have come out with

I strongly disagree with your TNG views and that TOS 'was of it's time'. TOS stands up to repeat viewing and even picks up new fans today. It's fun, funny, exciting and gets its message across. TNG is dull and repetative:(. Picard talked endlessly while sipping his tea, whereas Kirk tore in, phasers blazing and boots flying and got down to work - taking names, snogging foxtresses and scadoodling off to finish up the day with a bit wisdom and banter with ol' Spock. :cool:

I didn't mean that TOS had dated badly, I still enjoy it now, whenever I see the odd episode on Sky or Virgin or whatever. I just meant that it had a very '60s feel to it. Kirk was an adventurer, who wanted to explore strange new women, and use the Prime Directive to show societies the error of their ways. If you watch other shows of the time, The Time Tunnel, or Land Of The Giants etc, you can kinda get a sense of it.

TNG had a more '80s feel to it, and they tried to make the chain of command a bit more like an actual military operation.
    You do know that Riker was Kirk, right?

Of the two, I think TOS has aged better.

You do know that Riker was Kirk, right?

I know that's were trying for...!!!!

Don't think this has been posted yet... Shatner comments on the new Enterprise :

I know that's were trying for...!!!!

Ha-ha-ha...Good point.
    Does anybody else think that the Doctor from Voyager was Rimmer from Red Dwarf? Especially when they gave him the hard light drive (mobilll emittor).

Ha-ha-ha...Good point.
    Does anybody else think that the Doctor from Voyager was Rimmer from Red Dwarf? Especially when they gave him the hard light drive (mobilll emittor).

BBC should have sued

Goodshape wrote: »
    Don't think this has been posted yet... Shatner comments on the new Enterprise :

the Captain has spoken :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

That settles that then. You can't argue with The Shat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

User45701 wrote: »
    im losing count about how many times ive said this but still

**** YOU JJ!
    [/url]

Did you feel this kind of furious rage about Trek while Rick Berman was flogging its corpse for the last 15 years? It woulda been a lot more productive back then. We're at this juncture mostly because Berman and his team couldn't let go of Trek. They found a winning formula during the latter five years of TNG and they spent the next three spin-offs ramming it down our throats. Characters caught in a difficult moral conundrum? Technobabble solution! Ratings flagging a bit? Borg time! Ratings still flagging? Put a borg permanently on the ship! Can't figure out a way to crowbar the borg into your new series? Combine time travel, freezing and more borg! New movie needs to pack a punch? Copy the plot from the most popular Trek movie ever but totally fail to understand why it worked!

The only relief we got from this ham-fisted crap was the main story arc in DS9 and even that ended up being botched. The last time I regularly watched Trek week-in week-out was 1994 and I was obsessed with Trek. I grew to very much dislike what it became. Fairly disappointed with DS9, dreadfully disappointed with Voyager and totally unsurprised to find Enterprise failing to meet the potential of its premise.

The franchise is dead. Enterprise bled the last drop from it. But really, Trek hasn't been following in the spirit of the original series for quite some time. If this film can get back to the heart of what Trek was, then the superficial stuff like the look of the characters (including the Enterprise) is pretty secondary. As it is, I like the redesign, I like the casting. It doesn't fit what went before, but if it draws a new audience then it has achieved all it was meant to achieve. The story and the characterisations will make or break this film in terms of whether it is worthy of the Trek franchise.

Advertisement