Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek XI - Building the Enterprise

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I can see where your comming from but i disagree.

There where some fantastic episodes, some of the best trek episodes where late DS9/VOY and ENT did have a few fantastic stand alone episodes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This guy has some very good words to say on why Star Trek has become progressively bad over the years, he uses Threshold as an example for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCKXTOaZmx0&feature=channel_page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

WB has asked Chris Pine to stick his finger in Hal Jordan's Ring!!!

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/offer-out-to-chris-pine-for-green-lantern-6408

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

BBC should have sued

And not for the first time! The Borg, started off as human, got upgraded with technology, and lost their individuality to become a hive collective. Wasn't that the Cybermen?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    And not for the first time! The Borg, started off as human, got upgraded with technology, and lost their individuality to become a hive collective. Wasn't that the Cybermen?:eek:

Yep. Or maybe the Berserkers by Fred Saberhagen

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

User45701 wrote: »
    J.J. Abrams: 'This film's not for Trekkies'
    Good on him. Pandering to the obsessive fans is what sent Star Trek down the toilet in the first place. People vehemently protesting about inane and utterly irrelevant things like the Enterprise being built on the ground is a perfect example. It makes no difference to whether they can tell a good story or not. Trying to keep the obsessives onside got the writers into knots as being congruent with 30 years of canon isn't conducive to telling good stories.

Star Trek's identity isn't stored in the details, it's in a bunch of characters and an ethos. Which is why I think this film can be a success, because while it is changing and refreshing some of the details, it looks like it will have the spirit of Star Trek.

Frankly this thread reads like a discussion of the development of a historical epic like Schindler's List; people are getting angry over small details being changed for cinematic value. The difference is Star Trek isn't real...
    and that ****ing tool playing Kirk actually said this

Like Abrams, Pine admitted that he was a relative newbie to the franchise.

"I began watching the original series pretty feverishly, because I knew I only had a limited amount of time to prepare for the role, and after getting halfway through the first and second season, I wasn't doing myself any favors by trying to pick up on the mannerisms of William Shatner and the minutiae of the Star Trek world," Pine said. "I would have created a character that was more impersonation than an original incarnation. J.J.'s prescription for realizing the role—and this goes for all of us—was to create our own and not worry too much about obeying the laws of the original Star Trek world."
    He's absolutely spot on. Imagine if Heath Ledger had just mimicked Jack Nicholson.

Chris Pine is NOT William Shatner, and there is no point in pretending to be. He should go out and give the best possible performance that he can give, the best interpretation of the character that he can give. He shouldn't go out and give his best interpretation of William Shatner doing Kirk.
    I can see where your comming from but i disagree.

There where some fantastic episodes, some of the best trek episodes where late DS9/VOY and ENT did have a few fantastic stand alone episodes as well.
    A few great episodes. Wow, that's some achievement for a franchise that has had the guts of 600 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Good on him. Pandering to the obsessive fans is what sent Star Trek down the toilet in the first place. People vehemently protesting about inane and utterly irrelevant things like the Enterprise being built on the ground is a perfect example. It makes no difference to whether they can tell a good story or not. Trying to keep the obsessives onside got the writers into knots as being congruent with 30 years of canon isn't conducive to telling good stories.

Star Trek's identity isn't stored in the details, it's in a bunch of characters and an ethos. Which is why I think this film can be a success, because while it is changing and refreshing some of the details, it looks like it will have the spirit of Star Trek.

Frankly this thread reads like a discussion of the development of a historical epic like Schindler's List; people are getting angry over small details being changed for cinematic value. The difference is Star Trek isn't real...

He's absolutely spot on. Imagine if Heath Ledger had just mimicked Jack Nicholson.

Chris Pine is NOT William Shatner, and there is no point in pretending to be. He should go out and give the best possible performance that he can give, the best interpretation of the character that he can give. He shouldn't go out and give his best interpretation of William Shatner doing Kirk.

A few great episodes. Wow, that's some achievement for a franchise that has had the guts of 600 episodes.

+1 (no need to be too passionate, though:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Star Trek went down the toilet for ignoring fans. It was everything to do with the lazy writing, pleasing the whims of execs and techno bs rather than with pleasing fans. Consistency is important, otherwise you destroy the illusion of credibility. Think of it this way, when sci fi is inconsistent people just switch off because its unbelievable, we can't go along with it. Its really simple to avoid breaking the rules of the canon, that is to set it in an alternate timeline, which in its defense, this film does, or set it in further in the future, giving you excellent opportunities to write new stories and avoid re-threading old ground.

Star Trek while fictional has been with us for 4 decades, while its not real it has had real effects on people, its a virtual reality you can dip into to ponder on its stories and ideals.

And DS9 was consistently good.

I think I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually see the film.
    Some ressurections have worked really well, such as when Doctor Who returned with Christopher Ecclestone (yeah, I know it was continuing on, and not revisiting the past, but even still...). And of course, Battlestar Galactica, which made a number of drastic changes, like giving Face a sex-change.:D
    I watched Cloverfield last week, and was very pleasantly suprised, I had been expecting a re-hash of Godzilla, but it was much better than that.
    J.J. doesn't always get it right, but he does sometimes. Let's wait and see what he does this time.;)

when has JJ ever gotten it wrong.

M:I3 doesn't count. he did it for the money [baby JJs gotta eat] plus Cruise actually controls most of his movies anway.

besides he orci and kurtzman doing it and that's what lead to new Trek.

• Advertisement

Well, Fringe isn't all that good, although I think it has a lot of potential, and may get better.
    I agree with your point on M:I-3.

Well, Fringe isn't all that good, although I think it has a lot of potential, and may get better.

you lie.:(
    Fringe is awesome and Walter is legend.:D

you lie.:(
    Fringe is awesome and Walter is legend.:D

Heh-heh-heh, I think it has a lot of potential, and it looks great, but it doesn't seem to have depth. Having said that, I am watching it...

Heh-heh-heh, I think it has a lot of potential, and it looks great, but it doesn't seem to have depth. Having said that, I am watching it...

I was hooked the instant Walter proclaimed he'd p1ssed himself in the pilot:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I was hooked the instant Walter proclaimed he'd p1ssed himself in the pilot:cool:

Must resist urge....mmmmmgggggg... ah feck it

you like that sort of thing??? :P

sorry... i tried though!!

gatecrash wrote: »
    Must resist urge....mmmmmgggggg... ah feck it

you like that sort of thing??? :P

sorry... i tried though!!

I was beaten at the last second in an eBay auction for a vial of it!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i didnt explain myself well

How about a few Absolutely Amazing 10/10 eps
    then a rake load of 8 or 9 out of 10 very good episodes that where great to watch and great to rewatch

a load of decent episodes

there are allot more good episodes of trek than there are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i didnt explain myself well

How about a few Absolutely Amazing 10/10 eps
    then a rake load of 8 or 9 out of 10 very good episodes that where great to watch and great to rewatch

a load of decent episodes

there are allot more good episodes of trek than there are bad

+1
    slowly building up Voyager & DS9 on DVD, have all of Enterprise:D

Advertisement