Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Phase versus Single Phase ESB

• 13-02-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just looking for peoples opinion of the type of electricity to get.

I was advised that I'd need 3 phase power if I wanted geothermal, that is what has made me investigate this.

I'm not concerned about the initial connection costs, I know that this will be higher for 3 phase.

Basically what I want to know is,

1. Is it difficult for the Electrician to install.
    2. Are there any products that you cannot use with it.
    3. Anything atall to watch out for

From people who may have it installed 3 phase in there homes
    1. Does it cost more per unit.
    2. Is the standing charge higher.

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd answer No to all the above. (Not sure about ESB standing charge - ESB rural charges are higher than urban ESB charges)

3 phase is handy if you have high power requirement - electric commercial oven if you like cooking or consistant power if you like to weld etc. (Single phase can cause your neighbours lights to flick and dim - very annoying for them!) :)

Its not that much more to install initally in a new build but can be over €2000 to convert later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Also worth mentioning that you can run multiple electric showers with 3 phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

When we were looking at this in early 2006 there didn't seem to be any way to actually order a 3 phase supply for a single residential site (but that may be because our sites were bought serviced). The only options were the 12KVA or enhanced 16KVA. Apparently it was possible to order a "farm" supply which I believe is three phase.

Given the hassle and likely cost we didn't bother, and this was one of the many factors in ditching the geothermal.

When we were talking to the ESB they said we'd have three meters and standing charges for three phase!

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭selfdiy

Hi All,
    Thanks for your replys.
    I'm glad that there are no negatives except the installation costs.

I don't think 3 meters are required but larger ducting form the poll will be needed.

Thanks Again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

3p much more efficient than 1p for motive power.

However check if they will supply u, as noted u may need to become a farmer for a while:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

Hi Selfdiy,
    I had initially enquired about 3 phase for the same reasons as you.
    However when we spoke to the esb we found out that the installation cost for 3 phase was huge. Our site is in a rural area but close to a new hotel which has 3 phase in-situ.
    I was told, it cost them nearly €100,000 to get their connection.
    The catch was that if I connected to the same 3 phase supply within I thinks 5 years of the installation I would have to pay some of their installation cost!!! basically it meant that 3 phase was well out of our budget.
    Instead we got an enhanced single phase supply of 21kva to facilitate our heat pump etc (€5000 to connect). That was a recommendation by the esb themselves based upon what we wanted to run on it.
    It all depend on how close you are to high voltage lines etc and if there is a 3 phase supply close to your site you may have to pay some of the initial, often prohibitive, cost of 3 phase.
    Maybe an enhanced single phase supply might suit your budget better.
    I found the esb easy enough to deal with.
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 berireland

Hi Selfdiy,

We built a house near Athlone 2004/2005.

We installed a thermia 12Kw, 3 phase geothermal Heat pump. (there was already a 3 phase line crossing the rear of the site)
    Most heat pumps re designed and in use in this country are 3 phase and converted to run on sinlge phase!! for mainland europe supply is in this format. Motors run better and are more efficient on 3 phase.

We are very happy with the running costs of our heat pump. we estimate that the cost of heating (space and water) for a 320 sq m single storey house is €1,000 per year)

Our installation costs were the same as for single phase.

Any qualified Electrican can install.

John
    Chartered Engineer & Energy Assessor.

Advertisement