Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom slow in Ashbourne, Anyone else??

Options
  • 13-02-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've recently switched from BT to Eircom (Free Meteor/Setanta swung it) and since Tuesday I've been having issues with browsing speeds.
    Router is Syncing at 7084 down 384 up and URL.IE/QV is downloading at 720ish.
    However, general browsing is terrible even google is taking an age to display, forget about Flickr or Youtube etc.
    Pinging google.ie = 52ms

Eircom said the line is perfect and it's an issue with the pc. I haven't changed anything on my pc and using windows is as fast as ever. I've used system restore a good few times since Tuesday to see if it made a difference but no joy.
    Is it my setup somehow??

Oh yeah, tried it with Kaspersky turned off but still no joy.

Running XP SP3

Anyone having similar issues??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

jarvis wrote: »
    Hi

I've recently switched from BT to Eircom (Free Meteor/Setanta swung it) and since Tuesday I've been having issues with browsing speeds.
    Router is Syncing at 7084 down 384 up and URL.IE/QV is downloading at 720ish.
    However, general browsing is terrible even google is taking an age to display, forget about Flickr or Youtube etc.
    Pinging google.ie = 52ms

Eircom said the line is perfect and it's an issue with the pc. I haven't changed anything on my pc and using windows is as fast as ever. I've used system restore a good few times since Tuesday to see if it made a difference but no joy.
    Is it my setup somehow??

Oh yeah, tried it with Kaspersky turned off but still no joy.

Running XP SP3

Anyone having similar issues??

Is what you are seeing related to the time of day? If it is slow all day (or at various times during the day) then there my be local interference or line quality issues. If it is only in the evening hours and then gets better say after midnight and in the early morning, then it is likely to be high level of contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I've only been home in the evenings so haven't been able to check although I went on for a sec this morning before work 6.30ish and it was bad then!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I've just done the exact same as the OP, switched from BT to Eircom in Ashbourne (cheap Samsung NC10 swung it for me though).

I was paying for 1MB with BT and getting 700-800kbps (860 was the highest-ever). Now I'm supposed to be getting 3MB with Eircom but it hasn't been switched over from BT yet (only signed-up last Thursday).

I'll keep yiz posted when I'm on Eircom; I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop, Iqon....something desktop and the new Samsung (all on XP SP2 or 3) so if I have probs, they can't all be wrong.

Advertisement