Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Press Photo winners 2009

• 13-02-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

Another year of World Press Photo is here - worldpressphoto.org

Just one thought, why is photograph of tourists in Auschwitz in category "Arts and Entertainment"? I have never found it entertaining to go there. And personally I would not call that picture art.

Well, some of the pictures are stunning, I'll give them more time and attention later.

By the way the exhibition will be in Amsterdam from 04. 05. 2009. What about a boards.ie photo trip to the cultural capitol of Europe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I went to the 2007 exhibition in Portimao in Portugal. It was fantastic. Are you sure it's not going to be anywhere else V? Just Amsterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

I saw the 2007 exhibition in London, then again in Mozambique. There's a
    tour calendar on the site.

http://www.worldpressphoto.org/index.php?option=com_calendar&task=view&catid=95&selectedItem=219&Itemid=154&bandwidth=high#219

From 1st May it's the 2009 Exhibition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Might require a NSFW tag in title for one of the categories.

Portraits: 2nd Prize, stories

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Shoeless Ailbhe

any news on whether it'll be coming to Ireland? It used to visit Galway years ago, but i haven't seen it here the past 4 years or so, caught it last year in Croatia..... But seeing as we've a winner in the Sports photography category, perhaps it will come?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 enzyme

About 3 or 4 years the exibition was in Galway beleive it or not. I just happened to be in the City. I have bought the books every year for about the last 10 years and I was blown away. The photos were mostly A1 and A0 size. It is really only when you see them this big where the human figures are about life size that you really see what great images they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

any news on whether it'll be coming to Ireland? It used to visit Galway years ago, but i haven't seen it here the past 4 years or so, caught it last year in Croatia..... But seeing as we've a winner in the Sports photography category, perhaps it will come?

I emailed them asking and got this reply:

Dear Ronan,
    We are still negotiating the possibility to bring the exhibition to
    Dublin. Once all is confirmed we will release this information on our
    exhibition calendar through our website: www.worldpressphoto.org.

Kind regards,

Micaela Pereira

NIIIIIIIIIICE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

well deserved, superb image!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

My god some of the photos in the stories are horrific. I agree that photos like this are important in informing the world of whats really going on.

Put I find this a little worrying that photos like that should be used in a competition to win a prize and how far a photographer will go to win the competition?

opinions?

• Advertisement

I feel the complete opposite. The western media is completely sanitized and to be honest people have no idea of the suffering that goes on in some of these places. I don't think the photos are just shocking for the sake of it. What gives them their power is the message that they deliver and possibility their ability to changes peoples opinions

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Fair point to an extent Enzyme but out and out Misery is way too highly represented (imo).

I love the Auschwits (mentioned by OP) and the Italian one in the WPP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Stee wrote: »
    Might require a NSFW tag in title for one of the categories...

The name of the thread is World Press Photo and not "Kittens and macro shots of flowers". Sorry, but I had to type that.

I'm from the north west. I love a bit of misery

Advertisement