Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Ultra Slow Speeds

Options
  • 13-02-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I just got UPC Ultra (20Mb) installed today and the download speeds are very slow.

Wired

410173092.png

410175576.png

Wireless

410185640.png

410186538.png

I have tried re-setting the router, deleting the router settings and setting it up again. The results have all been close to the results shown. I'm not sure what else to try. Has anybody else had this issue after having UPC BB installed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

I have the exact same issue and they dont seem to care , even sent me a guy to fix it and he did not know anything about broadband . He told me himself .

Im in Balbriggan, where are you ? my speeds are nearly the exact same as yours..

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

In Balbriggan as well. Just want to try and fix it here before i ring them about it.

im in barons Hall park myself, they told me it was a network issue and allow 5 to 10 working days . but im really fed up. Tell them you are not paying until they sort it. worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try the London server on speedtest.net.

Just around the corner from you in the grove. I'll ring them now and see if they tell me the same thing. When did they tell you to give it 5 -10 days?

• Advertisement

410195176.png

Same result from the London server.

Told me on monday , they cant test my modem so they say ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pingpongz

You will never get 20 with UPC. I downgraded after 2 months to 10mg since i never ever ever received above 15 with them.

10 megs would be a dream come true ,, but sometime my speed drops to half a meg and im paying for 20 .. I was looking forward to some xbox live without all the lag .. :(

410211332.png

one of my better results

• Advertisement

pingpongz wrote: »
    You will never get 20 with UPC. I downgraded after 2 months to 10mg since i never ever ever received above 15 with them.

If i even got 15Mb i wouldnt mind paying for 20Mb.

Just spoke to UPC.. they confirmed that they are working on it and will call me with an update when they have one. I wait , but i aint holding my breath.

I'm just off the phone as well and told to leave it for 2 hours because the modem isnt registered on their system yet.

told me the same thing the first day ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ourlad wrote: »
    I'm just off the phone as well and told to leave it for 2 hours because the modem isnt registered on their system yet.

lol, you should have locked the engineer in your house* until he got it working properly or had him take it out again before he left. :D

*disclaimer: no, i'm not actually advertising kidnapping as a way of fixing your broadband.

vibe666 wrote: »
    lol, you should have locked the engineer in your house* until he got it working properly or had him take it out again before he left. :D

*disclaimer: no, i'm not actually advertising kidnapping as a way of fixing your broadband.

Thats the plan when they send someone out to look at it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

pingpongz wrote: »

My 20meg connection off UPC almost always gives me 20meg. I know a couple of other people who have UPC internet and they've exactly the same very positive experience with it.

Parts of their network can be overloaded, but they appear to be deploying extra capacity to any areas that need it going by reports from people who've posted on this board who previously had low bandwidth for weeks/months, only to have upc ring them to say it was sorted and for them to suddenly have full/close-to-full bandwidth available to them.

Maybe give them a buzz and see if you can come to some sort of agreement on discounts until the problem is fixed, perhaps? They're pretty open to applying service credits for sub-par performance in general.

This is all assuming that your physical cable connection is able to sustain a stable 20meg connection, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

UPC engineer installed everything there about an hour ago. Broadband Ultra 20MB. These are my current speeds (Wireless).

410890792.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

410923969.png

410924695.png

410925316.png

410925947.png

410926510.png

410927122.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yup i almost always get 20mb aswell, on peak times might drop to about 16mb:

411056688.png

• Advertisement

Yup i almost always get 20mb aswell, on peak times might drop to about 16mb:

411056688.png

411277200.png

411277620.png

411277845.png

411278243.png

you lot just want people to hate you don't you? :p

just to join the fray, here's me.

411302759.png

411303604.png

the highest i ever got was 18mbps, but only the once. it's hovering around 10-15mbps mostly and has gone as low as 5 at times.

neighbours in my area have been complaining about slow speeds and after a letter i got telling me that down and uploading 369gb in a month isn't their idea of 'fair use' it seems like it might be me, although it's been down to 5mbps on mine when i've not been downloading anything so it's not JUST me. :)

have been considering dropping to the 10mbps to have a tenner a month, I don't think I'd see any real world difference anyway most of the time.

don't want to miss out on the 100mbps upgrade at the end of the year tho. :) (fingers crossed)

The only thing i have to complain about in UPC is the upload speed with Torrents its a killer! Off heanet/usenet i download at a solid 2.3mb.

it's a very different picture now that everyone in my area is awake. :(

411359792.png

411360567.png

not exactly the advertised 20mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I find when using Rapidshare that I can get 25mb speed at any time of day or night. But what good is it when they'll terminate me if I go over 250gb in a month. You're lucky if your speed is slow.

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's a very different picture now that everyone in my area is awake. :(

411359792.png

411360567.png

not exactly the advertised 20mbps.

You should try a crap area like Tallaght not many people can afford to suck up the bandwidth.:D

411387684.png

411388434.png

411388790.png

411389133.png

My area is full of old people so doubt there hoggin the bandwidth, and the Installer said my area is being hardware updated in the next 3 week so even better service, better service than what i have now??? :P
    411421466.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Waterford - 20 Mb

411422706.png

I usually get about 18000Kb which I am happy with, but its been ****e over the last few days.

Moriarty wrote: »
    My 20meg connection off UPC almost always gives me 20meg. I know a couple of other people who have UPC internet and they've exactly the same very positive experience with it.

Parts of their network can be overloaded, but they appear to be deploying extra capacity to any areas that need it going by reports from people who've posted on this board who previously had low bandwidth for weeks/months, only to have upc ring them to say it was sorted and for them to suddenly have full/close-to-full bandwidth available to them.

Maybe give them a buzz and see if you can come to some sort of agreement on discounts until the problem is fixed, perhaps? They're pretty open to applying service credits for sub-par performance in general.

This is all assuming that your physical cable connection is able to sustain a stable 20meg connection, of course.

Thats good to hear. The speeds have still been the same so hopefully when i ring them tomorrow i get some sort of deal until its sorted.

• Advertisement

I was sepeaking to Tech support and they said the issue should be resolved this Friday the 20th . and that line 2 will call to check my speed is ok .

Advertisement