Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Ultra Slow Speeds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ranicand wrote: »
    You should try a crap area like Tallaght not many people can afford to suck up the bandwidth.:D
    they're new with the 20mbps in my area and after blanket bombing us all with the "20mbps now available" propaganda i just think that demand has outstripped supply. I guess it's just a case of giving them some time to upgrade everything locally so it can cope a little better.

EDIT: just did another re-test. hmm, methinks they must try harder. :(

411606147.png 411606899.png

EDIT EDIT: funny thing tho, just torrented something after posting those speeds and it maxxed out the 4'ish mbps available at the time, so I don't think they're throttling or shaping torrents, but maybe using a random port and encrypted transport helped avoid detection?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

I live in Balbriggan and i am suppose to be getting a package for 77euro phone tv and broadband incl

do you think i will get the modem with it and would anybody reccomend it as i have seen in this topic there is a lot of complaints from my area

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

They give you a modem, and its pretty much the only modem you can use as its mac address is activated on their network for you ( or at least thats what I gathered from the engineer when they installed it for me ) . You are probably talking about a router though. I don't know if they give you a free router or not. And yes you can buy your own router if you want to .

They give you a modem, and its pretty much the only modem you can use as its mac address is activated on their network for you ( or at least thats what I gathered from the engineer when they installed it for me ) . You are probably talking about a router though. I don't know if they give you a free router or not. And yes you can buy your own router if you want to .
    is that all they do?

there's plenty of firmwares out there that will allow you to clone the mac address. hmm, now that's got me thinking. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

hi all,

I'm thinking of going for the 10M:1M uncapped @Eur32/month.

Has anyone got feedback (good or bad) on UPC broadband in Limerick?

regards,
    Dave

• Advertisement

well that's better! :)

413924780.png

true to their word it wass down for a few hours yesterday afternoon and when it came back up i was getting speeds like this at 10:30pm last night and also this morning just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

URL=http://www.speedtest.net]414031672.png[/URL]

no such look here in Balbriggan... getting worse every day . Leaning towards moving back to Eircom . At least i would have broadband I could depend on. Oh also TV seems to be screwed , picture out of sync with the sound on some channels :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I have the 10meg and its working out fine.

Anyone have any idea what the contention ratio is?

414122069.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Mid day I get decent speeds

414149937.png

Lets see what its like later on...

coady wrote: »
    URL=http://www.speedtest.net]414031672.png[/URL]

no such look here in Balbriggan... getting worse every day . Leaning towards moving back to Eircom . At least i would have broadband I could depend on. Oh also TV seems to be screwed , picture out of sync with the sound on some channels :(
    keep the faith coady, i'm sure they know there are problems and are working on it.

i suspect that their rapid increase in popularity from rolling out the 20mbps so widely is causing a bit of a backlog on upgrades, but they do seem to be getting there.

• Advertisement

415060335.png

I am trying my best to keep the faith:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I am on the 20 meg line and I am getting the below. I rang them up and said I am paying for this but not getting it. They are to check but if it continues I will insist my bill reduces as its happening a lot

416010239.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

I am on the 20 meg line and I am getting the below. I rang them up and said I am paying for this but not getting it. They are to check but if it continues I will insist my bill reduces as its happening a lot

416010239.png

Let me get this straight, you're complaining about the speeds you're getting??? I'd be happy as a pig in **** if my UPC "ultra" connection was as good as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Your Dead right I am complaining as I was getting speeds of 18 and I have every damn right to complain as I am the one paying for it

So this pig that is suppose to be happy sitting in some s*it aint me

416553992.png

I have been very nice to UPC when i have called them. Think that may change today if i dont get the call back I was promised. Really fed up with there customer service. The last time they sent an engineer they sent a guy with no training . Looking at ther options today . the above speedtest is typical of the speed Im getting on a 20mb package , F*** this

make sure you keep a note of the times & dates of your speedtests for reference so you can point it out.

if it had been going on for a while and you don't have a decent speed at any time then you should have a case for getting your bill reduced at least until they can do something about it.

will do from now on vibe.. cheers for the advice

Spoke to them on Saturday, tech support advised that no one has even looked at the fault. He also informed me that it should have been repaired by the 16th of Feb. I'm trying my best to keep calm but they are screwing around. I will wait for a few more days .

i've a speadsheet with the details of all my speedtests time/date up/down speed and ping etc. so i can look back at it if there are problems down the line and quote facts and figures as required.

can't make much fuss now though as i went 100gb over their 250gb FUP last month and am looking like i might break it slightly this month too although i might be able to squeeze in under it if i'm careful.

by my calculations i'll have to make 25gb last me till the end of the month (which to be fair is only 5 more days), but my calculations were 50gb out last time due to modem restarts missing some of the log entries, so hopefully i'll sneak in under the bar this time, but my logs could still be a way out.

Advertisement