Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Nokia as modem on Three on Mac

• 13-02-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

As many Nokia users will find, their mac support leaves a lot to be desired. I have an N95 8gig on 3 monthly that I would like to use as a modem.

I set up an access point for 3 on the phone as per Nokia's instructions, but the Mac wants a username and password and a CID?

Any idea what these might be for 3 or am I doing something wrong?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Just figured it out. The access point name should be 3ireland.ie and not 3 that I had like a tool. As you were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

The more reliable option for your mac is using http://www.joikuspot.com/home.php

This will allow you to set up a wifi hotspot right on your phone, so airport will pick it up. The phone uses your hsdpa connection then for the internet.

Much easier than doing it the way you suggest. I did it that way for a while, but just kept having some issues. Joikuspot.....makes it so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Setting it up on a mac is easy as pie. took about 2 minutes

No user name or password is needed. phone number is *99#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

AlanD wrote: »
    The more reliable option for your mac is using http://www.joikuspot.com/home.php

This will allow you to set up a wifi hotspot right on your phone, so airport will pick it up. The phone uses your hsdpa connection then for the internet.

Much easier than doing it the way you suggest. I did it that way for a while, but just kept having some issues. Joikuspot.....makes it so much easier.

Except that it will use up your battery in no time.

Much better to use the phone as a Bluetooth modem, it's simple and quick to set up on a Mac and works supremely well on more recent Nokias with bluetooth 2.1 and not quite so hard on the battery.

At home when plugged in, this is not an issue though your phone may be prone to overheating.

Advertisement