Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

schools in letterkenny

• 13-02-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

looking at primary schools in letterkenny, irish speaking considered as well , We are Scottish but our son was born here, and was 2 on oct 18th 2006 and he is 2 . Any help gratefully received, information I need is :

1 School names
    2 Criteria for enrollment
    3 What age do you enroll

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think schools attendance is dictated by area, if the closest school to you is Woodland school, for example, then you are guaranteed a spot there for your child. But if you lived in the centre of the town and wanted you child to go to woodland school, you would have to put your name on a waiting list and it would be first come first served. I could be wrong.

Which area do you live in?

Some of the main schools in Letterkenny (boys only or mixed)

Scoil Choilmcille N S (boys school) is the main school in letterkenny, located on the Convent road. Behind Cathedral.

St Patrick's N S, Lurgybrack is just out side letterkenny on the Ballybofey road

Woodlands N S, is located on the Ramelton road

Scoil Náisiúnta Baile Raighin, Ballyraine. Located behind the Mount Errigal Hotel.

All contact details are on here Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tonybhoy72

I live in the old town and are looking for the best schools academically or are they all much the same until you get to secondary level? we are r.c. incidentally

I have heard people saying that Woodlands and Lurgybrack are very good schools because the teachers are younger and so more energetic and enthusiastic about teaching. Lurgybrack would be quite close to you if you go over the Leck road. Nearly all these schools bar Scoil Náisiúnta Baile Raighin, Ballyraine were traditionally RC schools, but are now mixed due to the diversity of population in Letterkenny.

That being said, i went to Scoil Choilmcille (which would be the school for your area) and it is a very good school.
    (dont be put of by my terrible grammar and spelling, not the schools fault) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I'm pretty sure each school is allocated a catchment area. I don't think you can pick and chose which school is the best for you.

I'd imagine the only way to get a place in a different school would be because of overflow or a brown envelope.

NickyOD wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure each school is allocated a catchment area. I don't think you can pick and chose which school is the best for you.

I'd imagine the only way to get a place in a different school would be because of overflow or a brown envelope.

Thats what i was trying to say, but i think you can put you name on waiting lists for other schools and it just depends on if that school has extra places or not come September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tonybhoy72

thanks for the help, makes it all a bit clearer now!!!! cheers, the boys school it is then!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

tonybhoy72 wrote: »
    looking at primary schools in letterkenny, irish speaking considered as well , We are Scottish but our son was born here, and was 2 on oct 18th 2006 and he is 2 . Any help gratefully received, information I need is :

1 School names
    2 Criteria for enrollment
    3 What age do you enroll

Thanks in Advance

to answer your third question. Children start school here between the ages of 4-6. They must be in school at 6 years of age. Most parents would send children by the time they are five or turning five in their first year in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

to answer your third question. Children start school here between the ages of 4-6. They must be in school at 6 years of age. Most parents would send children by the time they are five or turning five in their first year in school.
    That would be about right.

Advertisement